Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M replacement speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:11 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: J&M replacement speakers

Guys ,,,,,

come on now ,,,,, the Harley Fairing isn't exactly the perfect acoustical environment for speakers ,,,,, certainly not like something custom made for your home ,,,,,

and how do you think those $1,000 -$5,000 a pair home speakers would sound to your ears going down the highway, mixing with 70 mph worth of wind noise and loud pipes ?? ,,,,,,

when you think of audio on your Harleymostridersthink with just a bit of practicality ,,,,,,,, that is why the J&M speakers are designed first and foremost to get as much sound as possible from the stock Harley system ,,,, at a reasonable price ,,,

having said that ,,,,, certainly additional amps make a difference ,,, even with the J&M Speakers ,,,,,, and I like good sound as much as anyone ,,,,

I am just not sure that under the tail trunk is the best place foran amp ,,,, but maybe it is ,,,, I just worry about rain/water/weather damage in that location ,,,,,,

also ,,,, I think that one could make a case for completly redesigning the fairing to hold larger speakers in special acoustic enclosures all built in ,,,,, and make additional room in the fairing for a large amplifier complete with cooling fans and ductwork ,,,,,,

but that is a project certainly for this winter ,,,,,,, maybe ,,,,, JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Ravens35
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to order the J&Ms this week. They sound good, are a little bit louder, and look good. 70mph with Rineharts isn't going to sound like a symphony hall. What I'm really interested in, and i know J&M is working on it, is getting the garmin Zumo to integrate with the HD audio system. It would also be great to get rid of the cord. I'm tall and the thing constantly pops out of the helmet socket. I'd even go for a slightly longer cord.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Harleyhowie
Intermediate

I placed a powered sub woofer in my trunk of a BMW K1200LTE in 2003. I used the stock speakers and an infinity powered sub in the trunk. It is a small self contained 150.00unit. Please keep in mind the bass is the most important feature to create a full sound. I adjusted the 4 main speakers so that the bass was flat and used a pot to crank up the bass on the sub in the trunk. I also wired in a quick disconnect so when we went on long trips we had the use of the touring trunk. The J&M headsets are the best sounding for long trips. I have pictures on my office computer if you need them or you can see the pics on the BMW riders website. I was the hit of the site and the pics are still there.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:07 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Ravens ,,,,,,,

I will work on the Zumo550 hook-up if YOU will get a J&M headset with the longer overall two piece cord so that it won't fall out on you all the time ,, even when you stand up ,,,,,, ((like that darned Harley headset)) ,,,,,

Howie ,,,,,

yes ,,, I would like to see the photos of the trunk mounted sub design ,,,,,, please e-mail them to me ((stay under 2mb on the attachment if you can PLEASE)) ,,,, JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

thanks to both of you for your tips ,,,,,

TR ,,,,,, and I know if they go in like a breeze for YOU ((hahaha)) anybody can put them in ,,,,,,

have a great weekend ,,,,,,

Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 AM
hawg03
Road Captain

I switched from HT to JM. I had the old JM speakers (b4 the grill tweeter)and really had no problems with them. I then went with the HT thinking that it may be better. As with a prior post the bass is better, however, when the sound level was tuned up more than half, the HT would start to get muffled. I then went to the new style JMs. Sound is much cleaner and when the volume is turned up, no cracking. I'll stick with these. My $.02....

Old 05-27-2007, 02:03 AM
HappyHog
Stage I

John,

I have somereally great speakers from Bose that are quite small and sound excellent. Boseseems to have a pretty good handle onBIG sound coming out of a small space. Any thoughts on partnering w/Bose on a really great set of JM/Bose Edition speakers? There's always something to be said about reinventing that darn wheel!! Just a thought!!

- HappyHog

Old 05-27-2007, 11:46 AM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Bose home audio stuff generally sucks. Their wave radio is crap. One of my friends has one and I can hear the plastic rattling at any volume. The whole enclosure is made of plastic. I don't like hearing plastic with my music. There's a reason why quality audio speakers are made with wooden enclosures and metal bracing. I do like Bose noise canceling headphones for airplane rides though.

I think a subwoofer on a motorcycle is impractical, but I'm not sure it's necessary for good sound.

I currently have some Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers in my living room that are amazing. Small but very musical and accurate and tight bass in the range they can produce.

I can appreciate small speakers. I can't appreciate crappy sound. I'm not saying Hogtunes or J&M are crappy (I've never listened to them) but from the design goal and the components involved, and others' assessments, I'd say they're probably okay, which for me is crappy.

I want speakers that sound great when parked, can play that same great sound at loud level for 70mph rides, and I'll deal with the wind noise. That's like having a high quality car stereo and opening the windows or putting a convertible top down. I can still hear the quality, even with the wind blowing past my ears.

I'll make a post about Hawg Wired and get opinions. I think their stuff is probably better sound quality. It's certainly more expensive. For those seeking an improvement for $100, J&M or Hogtunes is the only way to go.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:03 PM
screem
Intermediate

A question about the J&M speakers, to fit my 2000 RG. Do they come with new cloth coverings already installed?...Mine are sun bleached and turning to a brown color. I am interested in the speakers with tweeter in the corner.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Roadglide88
2nd Gear

I am curious as to how you identify the Ohm Mismatch?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Roadglide88: One would like the ohm rating of the amp to equal the ohm rating of the speaker........speakers usually have the ohm rating identified on the speaker. Harley radios vary is ohm rating.

screem: The grills that come with the J&M speakers are not cloth, but a plastic material.....it is a very easy install.......your cloth grills will literally fall out in your hand.

Quick Reply: J&M replacement speakers