Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M replacement speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:06 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: J&M replacement speakers

SSJ ,,,,,,,

do you know of anyone who has used an amp in the Harley for a while ? ,,,,,,

do they have any troubles ? ,,,,,, are the amps dependable in the somewhat hot fairing environment ? ,,,, do they have any chaqrging issues with the bike after the amp is installed ? ,,,,,

it will takea bit of R&D to answer those types of questions on my side ,,,,, might get to it by August I hope ,,,,,

but I would certainly be interested in any experiences the readers on this form have already had with installing additional amplifiers ,,,,,

Old 05-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Ravens35
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was at Myrtle beach last weak and stopped by the J&M booth. I bought the shorty antenanas while I was there. They work great. They had a kioskto compare the J&M speakers to the new Harmon Kardon speakers. It was a very noticable difference. I had intended to get back there and buy a set, as well as one of their half helmets equipped with headset, I just never had a chance to get back there. I'd definitely like to order a set, but I'm very leary about installing anything electrical on my own.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What are you riding? The EG fairing is absolute cake to remove and reinstall compared to a RG. The speakers are easily removed and the new grills and wiring is just about as easy to install. Spade connectors are sized so that one can't make a mistake. Instructions are excellent.

Even an Orangutan can do it!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Ravens35
Cruiser

I have an ultra.i guess i could give it a shot.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Ravens35 ,,,,

send me an e-mail at john@jmcorp.com and I will give you the install instructions ,,,,,,

have a great weekend ,,,,,,,

Old 05-26-2007, 03:13 AM
ClinesSelect
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

jjsanta ,,,,,,

my somewhat informal research tells me that the majority of the riders do NOT want to add another ampifier to their audio system and deal with the extra heat produced, current draw on the electrical system and potential for RF noises and squeals when transmitting on the CB ,,,,, that is why I designed the J&M/Harley speakers to FIRST get the maximum amount of sound out of the stock audio system ,,,, thenstill be tough enoughto hande an aux amplifier if the customer installed one ,,,,,

having said that, if I find a large market for an additional amplifer for the Harleys ,,,, J&M will certainly offer one ,,,,
And here I thought all of the heat I was experiencing was coming from the lean running V-twin engine located right below where I am sitting when all the time it was the amp located in my fairing

Old 05-26-2007, 03:55 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I don't know of any one running a amp but seems like someone makes one that attaches under the tour pack which should solve the heat issue, Like I said music is a must with us but we also have a 40K sound system in our home which tells you how serious it is to us..

Old 05-26-2007, 12:33 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ravens35
and buy a set, as well as one of their half helmets equipped with headset, I just never had a chance to get back there. I'd definitely like to order a set, but I'm very leary about installing anything electrical on my own.
Well, havin' just installed the J&M speaker units (already have the J&M headsets), lemme assure ya that there's really no way ta mis-wire 'em. The plugs themselves are different sizes for the appropriate terminals, so unless you REALLY worked at it (and bent the plugs) it's impossible to wire 'em wrong. Ah'm "old-school", so was prepared ta tag each terminal so ah'd know where ta reinstall 'em. Saw the different connection sizes, and snatched 'em out an' tossed in the new ones w/o worry!! It takes longer ta git the front fairing off than ta install the speakers!!

Old 05-26-2007, 06:19 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

5.5ohm vs 8ohm at 1khz isn't particularly relevant. Speaker impedence changes with frequency. What matters is the impedence at 20-100hz, where the amp will be asked to produce the power to deliver bass. Speakers aren't rated in that range, so there's no way to compare them. That's why amps have fuses and/or overload circuitry built into them.

I haven't replaced my stock speakers yet, but when I do, I probably won't replace with Hogtunes OR J&M. I'm an audiophile and I want the very best possible sound. I've never bought $100 speakers in my life. The first thing I always do (boats, cars, whatever) is to replace head unit, replace the stock speakers with top-line Polk Momo's or similar, add an MTX or Alpine amp, and a 10" sub (or two).

I'm tempted to go Hawg Wired, as their stuff seems more top-end. But I can tell you that I don't think your stock unit will be damaged by speakers rated at 5.5ohms at 1000 hz. If you're worried about it, get Hogtunes amp. Then you're not even using the stock head unit amp, and you're sure they're compatible.

Not to hijack, but does anyone have a truly amazing audio setup on their bagger? $100 speakers just aren't going to do it for me.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:51 PM
03FLHT2
Advanced

I with grinner on this as I too want a better sound than China made $100-175 dollar speakers could ever produce. It really bugs me that the price they charge for speaker made in China. For 2 to 300 dollars speakers should be able to be produced in America. Just my two cents. I can tell you my Maggies wasn't made in China and no they are not cheap but I would rather spend a little more for a product made here in America.

Quick Reply: J&M replacement speakers