Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M replacement speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: J&M replacement speakers

Guys ,,,,,

you are getting off track again ,,,, and we have all been over this quite a few times and J&M testing speakers with a simple ohm meter is a valid test ,,,,

Now before all the technical folks here jump all over that statement, just buy an inexpensive ohm meter and try it for your self ,,,,

1989-1997 Harley audio systems are designed and spec'd for 4 ohm speakers ,,,,,,,

1998-2005 Harley audio systems are designed and spec'd for 8 ohm speakers ,,,,,

2006-2008 Harley audio systems are designed and spec'd for 2 ohm speakers ,,,,,,

anytime you use a speaker with a LOWER impedance than the system is designed for you CAN run the risk of overheating the amplifiers built into the radio,,,

,,, using a speaker with a HIGHER impedance than what it is spec'd for is fine, won't cause any trouble at all ,,,,, but might not be as loud as a speaker with the correct impedance ,,,,

one of the symptoms of having too low of a speaker impedance for the system, is when it cuts in and out as you ride ,,,,,

as for the impedance of the 5.75 ohm labeled Hog Tunes speakers, actually measuring closer to 3 ohms,,, I was simply making an observation and statement ,,, make out of it what you want to ,,,,,

Happy 2008 to everyone !! ,,,,, JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Apparently you've tested Hogtunes speakers at 3 ohms DC RESISTANCE, not A/C IMPEDANCE. They're different! Run an A/C signal through them at any reasonable music frequency, not a DC signal through them, and your IMPEDANCE will measure higher.

Using an ohm meter is a valid DC resistance test, but you have to know how to interpret the results. Yes, we've gone over this over and over...

What matters most is the impedance an amplifier sees from the speakers at bass frequencies -- say 20-100Hz. That's where an amp has to use a lot of power to push the woofer the farthest and move a lot of air. Too low impedance speakers in this range can cause a lot of power draw from the amp, which can overheat the amp. Midrange and high frequencies don't require much power to reproduce (the speaker cone hardly moves) and impedance at those frequencies doesn't matter at all.

If you'd like to claim an impedance problem with HogTunes speakers, just test and graph the impedance from 20hz - 100hz. If it's too low in that range, there's a problem and you can shout about it all day and I won't complain.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Grinner ,,,,,

you actually do make a valid point ,,,,, and I apologize if any of my posts are offensive ,,,,

BUTT ,,,, if you take a DC ohm meter and measure a stock Harley speaker for the 2006-2008 HK system ,,, it will measure 2 ohms, just like it is labeled ,,,,,

if you do the same for a stock Harley speaker from the 1998-2005 systems, it will measure right at about 8 ohms with a DC ohm meter ,,, just like it is labeled ,,,,,

if you take a stock Harley speaker from the 1989-1997 systems ,,, and measure it with a DC ohm meter, it will measure very close to 4 ohms, just like it is labeled ,,,,,,

my horse is dead now, how about yours ?!? ,,,, JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep, I'm done too. This topic is too complicated for a Harley forum anyway. I've never said anyone shouldn't install your speakers. Apparently they sound good and your service is top-notch. That's what matters. I just don't like putting down a competitor's product that also sounds good and has great service for technical reasons that, in my opinion at least, aren't valid. If the technical reason was more correct, then I'd say it's fine to point it out. Nobody on here has reported reliability problems with Hog Tunes speakers that I'm aware of.

Personally, I'm installing a very expensive Hawg Wired system in my ride. I'm only approaching this impedance issue from a scientific and "truth in advertising" standpoint. I don't care about the companies or products involved because they're not relevant to my situation.

Nice new headset by the way.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blackisfast
Weird...*this* thread didn't suddenly disappear like the other one.
Thats because some of the members have not started the bashing yet or this thread is being watched carefully by the freindly "mods"!
I have to add that I like the J&M's in my RG.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 PM
tullious
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,

I only know from my experience from what was installed the speakers in my '03 Ultra. I removed the HT speakers after I was disatisfied with thier sound at higher volumes when the amp trys to increase the sound over the road noise to hear the music.

I do not want to bash anybody's speakers but even if with all the hub-bub said, I am still very satisfied with my Birthday Gift mentioned abovefrom my wife.

By the way, is there any motorcyle shows out there in 2008 close by around New Jersey that will have either J&M, Hogtunes, etc. displayed?

The last couple of years I have seen many more baggers out there than non-baggers and custom bikes. I am surprised thatI do not see anybike audio companies popping up here and there unless you go to the mega-shows which of course are not held in my area.

Tull

Old 05-25-2008, 08:21 AM
psutjc87
3rd Gear

I just added the J&M's for and aft to my "06 Ultra. They sound great when I'm sitting still,but my D&D fatcats drown them out on the road. Any suggestions on a good amp?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are other ortions than these 2 overrated speakers!! i use polk momo marine speakers rated at 75 watts with a blaupunkt 107 rms t class amplifier. bought both on ebay for a total cost of 125!!!! they will outperform and out blast any ht ot jand m has to offer. do the research and expand the envelope!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 AM
JohnE
Cruiser

JMJOHN,

Just a question about downloading CDs toI-tunes. I have tried to figure out how to change the download settings of my CD's. Is this correct?

1. Edit pull down menu
Go to preferences at bottom
2. Go to Advanced tab
3. Choose importing tab
4. On import settings:
Change to WAV Encoder. (I-tunes default is AAC Encoder)

Now, do I just leave settings at automatic or do I need to change them to some custom setting? And, if custom, what would that setting be? There are options for sample rate, sample size, and channels????

Thanks!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 AM
tullious
Intermediate

Long term testing...

I've now had my J&M speakers in my HD Ultra for since last July and can't be more happy with them.

I play both MP3, Cd's and downloaded content from my Sirius Portable Model with great fidelity.

Very, very pleased with the J&M product. Very easy to install.

Also love the short whip antennas I bought from J&M too.

I'm planningon having Unique Whips in New Yorkcustom make a sub enclosure where my tour pack is and installone 18" bass speaker with a 500 watt amp!

Just kidding or course but I thought that might get a WTF out of it...

Thanks again John and your excellant products.

Tull