Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Road Trip on Brand New Bike During Break In?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM
jeck
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Long Road Trip on Brand New Bike During Break In?

I'm picking up my new 2016 Street Glide Special tomorrow and am keeping the dream alive of riding at least a good portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway before it gets to cold this winter.

I just looked up the route and just to get to the South entrance to the Parkway is 750+ miles from my home in Ft Myers. That would put me over 1000 miles just getting up there with the few rides I'd be doing to enjoy the bike before the trip.

Is the first 1000 mile service/oil change that immensely important? I'm thinking I'd be over 2k miles by the time I get back for what I'm looking to do on this trip in two weekends.

I could always stop in at a HD dealer and do the service while I'm up there on a rainy day.

But here's hoping for good weather. I wouldn't mind a few nights back in the 60's! It's been 90+ degrees here each day and mid 70's at night for the past three months and I can't wait for just a little relief in the mountains!

So....Do the service while I'm up there when I reach 1k miles, or wait till I get back with over 2k miles on the bike.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 411 Likes on 219 Posts

In my opinion 1K is not critical. There is so much redundant safety built into all of the HD recommendations, go for it. 1st service on the wife's '15 tri glide was at 3500, now 24K with no ill effects.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

It goes against the grain of the 1000 mile break in book sticklers but in my opinion it's a non issue. Rings are seated within 30 miles at worst. Anything that's gonna come apart is happening within the first couple of miles. You will be fine. I've built I don't know how many high rpms screamers for drag cars years ago when that was my chosen method of bankruptcy and I've never broken anything in anywhere but on the dyno or the track. Run it long enough to get it up to temp, change the oil to get the assembly lube out, and then lean on it like it owes you money. I've had failures from nitrous issues, boost controller issues, missed shift issues, and so on but I've never had a motor fail because it wasn't babies for 1000 miles and then had an oil change.

Buy it, ride it, smile.

Repeat as needed.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:29 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,838 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Stop at a Dealer somewhere along the way and have them do the 1,000 mile service. It only takes a couple of hours to do.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:42 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,270 Likes on 11,419 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Stop at a Dealer somewhere along the way and have them do the 1,000 mile service. It only takes a couple of hours to do.
Yeah...and.there's that warranty thing. If you go substantially over the recommended service interval, they could deny any warranty work.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Definitely do the 1000 along the way at at or real close to the 1000 mark

Old 09-10-2016, 03:47 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Reread post # 3 I'd put on a few miles change the oil and go! Save your receipts for warranty work if needed, if doing it yourself or at an indy.

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-2016, 05:28 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

My recommendation is don't take the superstab there because you need to vary your speed and your RPM range during your first 1000 miles to frequently. Take the back country roads, it will take longer but you'll have a better trip.

Then, take your own tools and do the oil change yourself at any local HD Shop along the way in their parking lot. Your friends can shop while you work.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:38 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

If it was me, FWIW, drive bike off lot & find a place to run through the MotoTune new engine break-in ( http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm ), change oil, venture off on your journey & try to work the 1K service in somewhere along the way...plenty of dealers out there & you'll want/need a break.

Enjoy the new bike & have a safe trip!

Old 09-10-2016, 07:18 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 594 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Yeah...and.there's that warranty thing. If you go substantially over the recommended service interval, they could deny any warranty work.
I'd be more worried about this. Just have it done along the way. You only have to watch not using the cruise and varying the RPM's for the 1st 250 miles. Run sensibly to 500 miles and then ride it like you want for the rest of its life.

Quick Reply: Long Road Trip on Brand New Bike During Break In?