Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this 17 RG is a game changer

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016 | 10:21 PM
masterblaster
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default this 17 RG is a game changer

Traded my 15 CVO for a 17 RG Ultra, the 15 CVO had cams and a 2-1 pipe, this 17 RGU out does it on every level by butt dyno but not actual dyno, more like a smooth ridability butt dyno. If you are thinking about a 17 or not I warn you do not test ride them.

The following users liked this post:
cass (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016 | 07:22 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Now you need to change your sig

Old 09-10-2016 | 07:49 AM
brewdog
Road Captain

Game changer? That's almost funny. The CVO was and is still very slow compared to other STOCK motorcycles on the market. The whole power game the MOCO plays is nothing but market deception at its best. You are still well under 100 HP and well under 100 foot pounds of torque. The MOCO hasn't come up with ANY NEW engineering standard to measure performance with all their jargon. People continue to get sucked into the lies. The latest is the "tire shredder kit" WTF kind of stupidity is that. I would buy another Ultra because I like the bike but they need to do more in the engine department than continue these baby steps that absolutely don't keep up with the market. "There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase closely associated with P. T. Barnum.

Old 09-10-2016 | 07:57 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

The M 8 game changer no. New Direction for Harley yes.

I do wonder if it takes over as fast as the Twin Cam did. It seems like only a couple years and no EVOS to been seen at taco night.

Old 09-10-2016 | 08:32 AM
masterblaster
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Game changer for Harley, i.e. the twinky will not be at taco night in a few years. If you hate the HD so much why are you riding one? Suckers can get sucked in PT Barnum fashion, but those who get sucked in over and over while recognizing they actually are getting sucked in, while all along hating the product and still buy new bikes like the ultra would seem to have serious mental issues. Battered wife syndrome of some sort.

Originally Posted by brewdog
Game changer? That's almost funny. The CVO was and is still very slow compared to other STOCK motorcycles on the market. The whole power game the MOCO plays is nothing but market deception at its best. You are still well under 100 HP and well under 100 foot pounds of torque. The MOCO hasn't come up with ANY NEW engineering standard to measure performance with all their jargon. People continue to get sucked into the lies. The latest is the "tire shredder kit" WTF kind of stupidity is that. I would buy another Ultra because I like the bike but they need to do more in the engine department than continue these baby steps that absolutely don't keep up with the market. "There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase closely associated with P. T. Barnum.

The following users liked this post:
jammerx (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016 | 08:38 AM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

Congratulations Jerry. 'Game changer' depends on the game being played.
I hope to test ride one this Biketoberfest...but will heed your warning...
Chuck (and Barbara)

Old 09-10-2016 | 08:47 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

Im up for a test ride in a couple weeks while In Reno. I only have interest in one brand of bike and if they made My Harley better Im all over it.

Old 09-10-2016 | 08:49 AM
Beak
Road Master

If you like it, that's all that's important.....your the one riding it.

Old 09-10-2016 | 09:13 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain

I will admit the M8 is an interesting platform but I still like my 103 twin cam and will for a while.

Here are a few reasons:
Balance shaft in the M8 to smooth the idle. Well I kind of like the pulse and shake of the twin cam at idle. It smooths out right off of idle and the shake irritates my goldwing buds.

Heat. We are setting on an engine guys, and an air cooled one at that. Some of us have taken steps to manage the heat, mine only gets bothersome when it gets in the 90's and at those temps setting on the patio with a drink is hot.

More power. I will admit I would like more raw power. But mine goes fast enough and quick enough to get me in more trouble than I need.

Better handling. This is the only reason I would switch from my 2012 to a 2017. Mine handles good but not great but I have to remember it is not a sport bike and will never be.

Infotainment. I seldom listen to tunes on my RG anyway. My $89 garmin and a map gets me around just fine.

Slipper clutch and better compensator. I have no problems with my clutch and no compensator problems so far.

More charging power. Heated gear is the only reason I would need that and my wife doesn't ride in the cold much so I only need to power one jacket. I've switched all lighting to lower power LED lights, that helps some.

Price. Mine is paid for, no need to say more.

The following 4 users liked this post by bill from tn:
DonnieM (09-12-2016), JHP (09-10-2016), Jimdgreat1 (09-10-2016), red ben (09-13-2016)
Old 09-10-2016 | 09:23 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I demo'd a '17 RG and decided to keep my '13 SG. The M8 is a damn nice bike, don't get me wrong, but it's not evolutionary enough to get me to cough up the coin for a new one quite yet. As much as I enjoyed the broad powerband in the M8, I don't think the suspension or brakes or anything else is that vastly improved.

If I didn't have a bagger or mine was worn out, I'd be all over a '17, but honestly my old 103 Stage 1 is pretty good right now, and I actually enjoy the extra shake, rattle and roll the 'old' motor has. I think a set of Ohlins, maybe a cam this winter, I'm good for another few years.

Quick Reply: this 17 RG is a game changer