Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this 17 RG is a game changer

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 10:02 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Read a review from revzilla and lemmy states that the new engine has top end power also. Whereas the Twinkie falls off 51st the upper rpms
Finally....

I've been waiting to hear what Lemmy thinks... now I'm gonna have to buy one tomorrow!

All kidding aside, I've been reading a lot about the new engine. In addition to Lemmy, there have been a several people in the business who are impressed how this motor performs out of the box.... and the potential it has...

Could be real interesting to see what the aftermarket comes up with to "improve" on the OEM performance (which appears to be impressive) of this new engine....

I'm staying tuned in...

Old 09-10-2016 | 10:17 PM
Eric Moore
Road Captain

I was in the dealership today... saw a fan kit to add to the new bikes.. goes below the seat pan area to keep heat off your legs.. yes I test rode the m8 s. If the heat issue was fixed... why did Harley make a fan kit... i will sit back & watch all this. I like some of the new features. Question some .. i have 7 Harleys now. I wouldn't trade anyone for the new bikes as of now.. in a yr or so let's see how this works out

Old 09-10-2016 | 10:39 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

I've read all the reviews and Common Thread gave a better review on how the engine is compared to the rest of the mags reviewed them. Reading good reviews takes out the guesswork on testriding them

Old 09-10-2016 | 10:49 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes and know. A review is nice to get an idea about a bike, but a test ride...and I mean a nice long test ride, where you can take your time and try things out, is always the best.

This whole horsepower thing cracks me up though. I had a V-Rod, and it had some nice hp, thou torque was more like a Japanese cruiser bike. It never got too hot to ride with the liquid cooled engine. A great engine indeed. that motor is a game changer...Too bad no one really cares.

Congrates on the new bike OP

Old 09-11-2016 | 10:21 AM
Helomech74
Tourer

The test ride I did on a 17 SGS wasn't impressive enough for my trade my 16. The difference is so minimal that I'll just keep what I have. If I was currently in the market for a new HD, I'd probably go with a 16 as well just for incentives.

Old 09-11-2016 | 10:45 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kermie

This whole horsepower thing cracks me up though. I had a V-Rod, and it had some nice hp, thou torque was more like a Japanese cruiser bike. It never got too hot to ride with the liquid cooled engine. A great engine indeed. that motor is a game changer...Too bad no one really cares.
Couldn't agree more. Rode a V-rod for the 1st time after demoing two M8s. Came away thinking the M8 is nice, but the V-rod was great. Much better motor than the M8.

Old 09-11-2016 | 10:53 AM
ndnguyd
Tourer

Originally Posted by Eric Moore
I was in the dealership today... saw a fan kit to add to the new bikes.. goes below the seat pan area to keep heat off your legs.. yes I test rode the m8 s. If the heat issue was fixed... why did Harley make a fan kit... i will sit back & watch all this. I like some of the new features. Question some .. i have 7 Harleys now. I wouldn't trade anyone for the new bikes as of now.. in a yr or so let's see how this works out
That fan kit will probably be stock with the new frame next year, along with a few other bolt ons. Mother ship is offering this stuff as bolt ons to get people to test bench for them...

Old 09-11-2016 | 11:07 AM
roadrash3
Road Master

Originally Posted by ndnguyd
That fan kit will probably be stock with the new frame next year, along with a few other bolt ons. Mother ship is offering this stuff as bolt ons to get people to test bench for them...
I read that harley had designed the fan but the new M8 doesn't need it. But since they had already designed it, it got brought to the market. I saw one mounted on a non m8 bike the other day, didn't know it would work on those.

Old 09-11-2016 | 11:10 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

Milwaukee-8 would be a game changer when the motor company puts them Softails & Dynas model lineup.

If the motor company made a 90 inch V-Rod engine tuned for torque, and put them in the Touring Bikes
we would have a Game Changer.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldPhat:
lionsm13 (09-12-2016), nevada72 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 11:58 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior

Dealer promised me a 2017 limited for 24 hours starting Monday night. I imagine its going to be a much better bike than my 2013 limited stock. I also know they are going to do their best to convince me to trade up. Problem is I fixed what annoyed me with my current ride and I only have six more payments before its all mine. I'll post my expert (LOL) opinion on Wednesday.

The following users liked this post:
cass (09-12-2016)

Quick Reply: this 17 RG is a game changer