Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake rotor warped

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by stoneybagger
you can make a home made dial indicator.
vice grips and hanger
get front tire off the ground
lock handle bars so when you spin front tire, the forks dont move.
make hanger and vise grips emulate what a dial indicator would do.
you just really need something that is stationary next to rotors while rotating the wheel.

youtube has videos on how to replace rotors

Well... i know.... i just zip tied my forks to my crash bars and checked them without removing a bolt but the service manual police don't want to hear it.

Pro NORML

Old 09-08-2016, 11:47 PM
TX50
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine with Wilwood rotors from Summit Racing. Seems like it was about $150 shipped for both rotors. Several thousand miles so far and they function and look great.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill
Check the wheel bearings while you have the wheel off.
Second this. Warped rotors will cause lateral loads on the bearings and stress and can cause failures. Replace them at the same time.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:42 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Rotor bolts might be hard to remove, make sure your Torx bit is the correct size and fits tight into the bolt. Some cheap Torx bits do not and then it will strip out the splines on the bolt head and you will have a real problem. Also, have the bike on the ground and the bike in gear, or better yet someone holding the front brake, and loosen as many bolts as you can, then push the bike forward so the others are exposed then loosen them. Then raise you bike up and do the wheel removal.

If they do not loosen this way then after the wheel is removed, lay it flat and use an impact driver with a GOOD Torx bit that will not shatter and a hammer. The bolts may be in with red loctite.

I have the DNA polished stainless rotors and they work better than stock and have not warped yet.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:34 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I straighten mine nearly yearly with a dial indicator and a crescent wrench.

The following users liked this post:
Ibfuelish (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:06 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I straighten mine nearly yearly with a dial indicator and a crescent wrench.
Second that!

One big problem people fail to do is clean their rotors every 500 miles. Easy to do with some rubbing alcohol. Put some on a clean lint free rag and wipe both sides, wait til you see what comes off.

Bugs get spattered onto the rotors from bouncing off the fork tubes creating a sticky mess on the rotors. As the brakes get used, the spots of goo on the rotors make them sticky at those points making hot spots on the rotors, hence warp-age. The hot spots also cause the brake fluid to boil if a lot of braking is being applied.

I use a dial caliper and a large crescent to re-true the rotors if this happens. Been doing this for years and zero problems.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

Try this 1st. Stopped my pulsing problem for the whole year so far. I have to do it again soon, lasted about 2500 miles, lot of stop and go.
https://m.facebook.com/notes/lyndall...1058600591807/

Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 AM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pulsing brake

My money is on a bad front wheel bearing. I have seen it many times. The front brake level will pulse badly.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Rotor bolts might be hard to remove, make sure your Torx bit is the correct size and fits tight into the bolt. Some cheap Torx bits do not and then it will strip out the splines on the bolt head and you will have a real problem. Also, have the bike on the ground and the bike in gear, or better yet someone holding the front brake, and loosen as many bolts as you can, then push the bike forward so the others are exposed then loosen them. Then raise you bike up and do the wheel removal.

If they do not loosen this way then after the wheel is removed, lay it flat and use an impact driver with a GOOD Torx bit that will not shatter and a hammer. The bolts may be in with red loctite.

I have the DNA polished stainless rotors and they work better than stock and have not warped yet.
I have found it makes it easier to remove the rotor bolts if you apply heat to them. I just stick a soldering iron to the bolt head for a couple of minutes, and they'll break free fairly easily.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:09 PM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 311 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
Second that!

One big problem people fail to do is clean their rotors every 500 miles. Easy to do with some rubbing alcohol. Put some on a clean lint free rag and wipe both sides, wait til you see what comes off.

Bugs get spattered onto the rotors from bouncing off the fork tubes creating a sticky mess on the rotors. As the brakes get used, the spots of goo on the rotors make them sticky at those points making hot spots on the rotors, hence warp-age. The hot spots also cause the brake fluid to boil if a lot of braking is being applied.

I use a dial caliper and a large crescent to re-true the rotors if this happens. Been doing this for years and zero problems.
So how / where do you mount the magnetic dial indicator base to check? Lower legs are aluminum, don't want to use front fender etc?

Quick Reply: brake rotor warped