Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire ideas; tell me whats working for you

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:11 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Pirelli Night Dragons should be one of the options as well.

Running Metzler ME880 for while now, but will be making the switch soon over to Pirelli. Tire still breaks loose pretty good w/ my Metlerz's. I've heard the mileage suffers on the Night Dragons, but grip is unbelievable.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Lostrider
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Avon Cobras here too. Very grippy. Feels confident in the rain or loose stuff. I have had dunlops and metzler as well. Wasn't a huge fan of the dunlops, they had a cupping issue. The Metz were very good but burn up pretty quick.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 PM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried Avon Cobra after I wore out the factory Dunlop. I'm completely sold on the Cobra's. Excellent grip wet or dry, predictable on tar snakes, and acceptable wear. Very important to follow tire pressure Avon recommends. Which is higher than HD recommends, and varies with application. I typically run 41/46 psi, which is their 2-up light recommendation with good results in wear / performance.

http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/tire-pressure-guidelines

Old 09-08-2016, 10:18 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned the Commander II's? I read alot of positive reviews so I went with a set. Not enough miles to offer my opinion yet.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

My complaint with the cobras is that I can't seem to find radials. I have friends that have them on their metric cruisers and they say the radials are really nice.
Still very good tires in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
Surprised no one has mentioned the Commander II's? I read alot of positive reviews so I went with a set. Not enough miles to offer my opinion yet.
They worked well for me on the race track, even in the rain.

But, the OP wanted the stickiest possible tires, regardless of all other considerations. The Commander II's are not that.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:30 AM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nj08SEUltra
I don't understand why you wouldn't re-up with the Dunlops that came with the bike. For all the tire analysis in this forum, I do not recall anybody ever saying they lost grip because they were riding on Dunlops or that another tire would not have lost its grip in the same circumstance.
+1 on what CoolHawg said!! The factory ones are over-priced and I'm on my second front tire in 10K.. Both to cupping. Moving to a Metzler today; it's on the UPS truck!! It was 1/2 the price and I've heard amazing things.. I'll update in a week or two after having rode it a bit.

Oh, and as far as the back tire goes, they don't last! I have 1K on my new rear, and it looks 1/2 bald!

Now as far as someone else stated. They feel fine for me in the sticksion arena, however I've felt much better grip with prior tires.

-G

Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

I went through two 200mm Night Dragons on my 06RG, about 4,500 miles each. Outstanding wet weather traction but the cost was over $250 each. Went darkside and found the same performance for 4 times the tire life and less than half the cost. Use Ride On to balance them.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
My complaint with the cobras is that I can't seem to find radials. I have friends that have them on their metric cruisers and they say the radials are really nice.
Still very good tires in my opinion.
I went with radial Metzler prior to riding to Sturgis. 3000 miles later - the rear was toasted. Talking to the Metzler rep he said out heavy motorcycles need bias ply and not radial. It was a good conversation. He stated everyone has radials on their car - but the dynamics of the heavier motorcycles the bias ply is the superior construction.

Since the tire instal place never called after two attempts - I switched to dunlops. The reality is they're fine and every Harley Davidson dealer has em. My issue is the agitator wheels -18" front. I went 18" for the rubber increase. Now I see you can't get em. 19" appears the standard.

I'm curious about Avon now.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:51 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I have no issues with the newer dual compound Dunlop tires. I just refuse to pay the Harley price and go with the Dunlop Elites.

Quick Reply: Tire ideas; tell me whats working for you