Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Tire Flat on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Front Tire Flat on Freeway

I did 1000 miles in one day to Billings from Reno. No problems. The following day, I take off on the freeway and 5 minutes into it going 70 mph, the front tire went flat instantly. Wasn't a blow out, but an instant loss of air. The valve stem broke. I've never experienced a front tire flat before. Many rear tire flats. I am instantly having issues holding her up. I'm fighting the handlebars, and she will not turn. I had to give it all I had to force her to the side. You just can't steer when this happens. Anyway, I'm safe. I made it to the side of the road. Had to have it towed. Lots of bikes passed on by. A nice man on a Goldwing Trike stopped to assist me. Didn't catch his name, but thank you!

How many have experienced a front tire flat or blow out on the freeway before? It's not a fun experience.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

I've had a couple of those... it's a lot better than a rear.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:44 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

I've never experienced a front blowout but did have a rear blow many years ago with GF on back. That was a Kawasaki KZ1000. It was a long time ago but I don't remember it being a big deal. Just my thoughts, based on common sense laws of physics I would think that a front blowout would be more challenging than a rear, but I could be wrong. Probably lots of other factors to consider.

Glad you got it under control.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Same here. I've had both, and a front blowout is by far the worst. Especially on a sportbike.

Glad you're ok James!

Old 09-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
the front tire went flat instantly. Wasn't a blow out, but an instant loss of air. The valve stem broke.

So what did you have like a tire tube shift and bust the valve stem?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Glad you're OK. I had a blow out from a pot hole. Bent rim and all. I don't know how I didn't go down. Maybe because I was half drunk and 21. Stopped at the bar and then rode it home. At a little speed the tire acts like it's aired up. If it was a bagger. I think not. 19" on a lowrider.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:29 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Glad you are OK.
In this case, rear brake yes, front brake NO.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:45 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,165 Posts

I haven't experienced a flat, but glad you're okay. You have the metal valve stems?

Old 09-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
I did 1000 miles in one day to Billings from Reno. No problems. The following day, I take off on the freeway and 5 minutes into it going 70 mph, the front tire went flat instantly. Wasn't a blow out, but an instant loss of air. The valve stem broke. I've never experienced a front tire flat before. Many rear tire flats. I am instantly having issues holding her up. I'm fighting the handlebars, and she will not turn. I had to give it all I had to force her to the side. You just can't steer when this happens. Anyway, I'm safe. I made it to the side of the road. Had to have it towed. Lots of bikes passed on by. A nice man on a Goldwing Trike stopped to assist me. Didn't catch his name, but thank you!

How many have experienced a front tire flat or blow out on the freeway before? It's not a fun experience.

I had a rear valve stem break a little over a year ago, on the rear at 70 mph.

Out of curiosity, did you have anything on your valve stem, like a TPMS sending unit? I did, and believe that contributed to the valve stem tear at the rim.

Glad you handled it well.

Shane

Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
So what did you have like a tire tube shift and bust the valve stem?
Tubeless. Valve stem just gave way at the base. Very odd. Just did 1000 miles the day before with no issue.

Originally Posted by RKZen
I haven't experienced a flat, but glad you're okay. You have the metal valve stems?
No. It does now though!

Originally Posted by Shanebo
I had a rear valve stem break a little over a year ago, on the rear at 70 mph.

Out of curiosity, did you have anything on your valve stem, like a TPMS sending unit? I did, and believe that contributed to the valve stem tear at the rim.

Glad you handled it well.

Shane
There's a little plastic color that holds the angled stem in place, but seemed fine upon inspection.

Quick Reply: Front Tire Flat on Freeway