Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:57 PM
UltraSwampy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a leak?

This is my first Harley. 2007 Ultra. I've noticed a mark in the road dust on my motor (I know, I know...shouldn't have any dust) but straight down from the back jug I noticed a seam that seems to be showing more and more oil moisture. I know the old story about HD's was that they all had leaks. Now that I have one and I spend the money that I did I really don't see the humor in that. Is this normal.

I also did a stage 1 and I have V&H slip-on and now that the weather is getting warmer I've noticed a pinging.....I read alot of post about this but my question is....with it being under warrenty shouldn't the dealer look at this at his cost?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Is it a leak?

its under warranty, take it in.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

If the oily stain you're refering to is the seam between the engine and trans, I know this is a common occurance with Dynas and is most visible on the silver powder coated ones. there is no fluid and no gasked in that area and the dealers have been telling us that it isn't an oil leak, but may be oil left fro machining the surfaces and it may be just a discoloration caused by the two pieces rubbing together. On my Dyna, I clean it once a month with brake cleaner and the wife's toothbrush. I've only had the ultra one day now and haven't noticed any oily staining there yet, but I'll be watching for it.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:01 PM
jammer25309
Advanced

Same here rh8234. The dealership mechanic told me the same thing. I spray mine with brake cleaner also once a month or so and I've noticed that between cleanings the discoloration is getting less and less.Road dirt, grime, etc. always tends to accumulate in this area.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
v2in
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine leaked around that seam on the bottom and left a small spot on the garage floor. Harley wanted that transmission housing back ASAP. They overnighted the dealer a new trans housing.
There is a gasket on the inside between the engine and the trans with two small **** that keep the gasket lined up. Inside of one of the holes where the plastic **** is was leaking. They said that some of the housing had a pourous leak allowing oil to leak into that seam. I hope that makes sense even with the plasatic ****. lol.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

if it drips on the floor - its a "Leak" if it does not drip on the floor, its called a "seeping" and the Stealer tries Not to cover it.... This is NOT set in stone but is followed here at my Stealer....

Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: harley0711

if it drips on the floor - its a "Leak" if it does not drip on the floor, its called a "seeping" and the Stealer tries Not to cover it.... This is NOT set in stone but is followed here at my Stealer....
yep, the dealer I bought my 99 from tried the same crap with me, it is just seeping and not a leak, after a few words, he decided to replace the offending seal..I have no idea why some dealers try that crap, stand your ground if it is indeed a seepage-leak..that is why I changed dealers and my new one has treated me right on all warranty issues. some freaking dealers are truely JERKS [:@]

Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
jammer25309
Advanced

Nothing more valuable than other people's experiences here in this forum! I agree, some dealers will tell you anything but the truth to get out of warranty repairs. I have to admit though, my dealership has always been good to me (I guess I'm one of the lucky ones) and have always corrected any problem I've had if I tell them I want a particular problem fixed! I'll continue to watch this area on my bike closely and if it looks like it is a chronic seepage I will definitely tell them I want it fixed.As of right now, I'veput alot of miles onmy bike since the last time I cleaned that area with brake cleaner and I can'teven spotthe slightest discoloration or seepage. It is completely clean on the top and bottom of the housing. I'll watch it for another few hundred miles and see what happens.