Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Super Tuners issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
I worked for an OEM that used Ford engines and we were not given unlocking codes. The aftermarket tuners are more than likely like a PC version of the Harley tuners. They piggy back but do not change the values in the ECM. Like I mentioned it has been a few years but FOMOCO was hard set on not letting anyone inside the ECM.
There are no unlock codes per se. The Ford tuners are made by the likes of Superchips, Hypertech and those guys. They modify the ECU programming directly. I don't know if you are referring to gas or Diesel engines but both are programmable in the aftermarket.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

Originally Posted by xupd42bmg
I find the search function useless. Maybe I don't know how to use it but every time I try I get a thousand post that don't really tell me what I want to know. But I probably don't know what I'm doing?
No, search function in here is useless, about as user friendly as my ex wife.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:53 PM
harkon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by robbie52
EPA recently fined Edge $500,00.00 for selling DPF delete kits for diesel trucks. They will continue to go after anyone that violates EPA standards.
Well it doesn't always make sense. MagnaFlow will sell you a turbo back kit eliminating the cat but the EPA didn't make a stink about that. The primary difference is that Edge went out of their way to eliminate and bypass New EPA mandated equipment. That kinda pissed the EPA off, but it truly isn't any different than providing a system that eliminates the cat. Why one and not the other? Well cats have been eliminated from exhaust systems since the beginning. Just replacing the damned thing with a piece of pipe. Well you can't prosecute everyone that makes exhaust pipe on the off chance that it might be used to eliminate the cat. The Edge situation targeted a very specific piece of hardware and if they allowed it, most people would eliminate that POS the first sign it needed replacing. The EPA wouldn't have it. They haven't gone after BullyDog and they make about the dirtiest tuner out there.

I think the Dynojet and V&H type tuners are safe ... for a while anyway. There still has to be a way for someone to change cams and bore the engine and still allow a tune.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

I think the keyword everyone should keep in mind when pointing out aftermarket products and the EPA not going after them is YET, harley was the tip of a large ugly iceberg I'm afraid.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:28 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,161 Likes on 3,410 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I think the keyword everyone should keep in mind when pointing out aftermarket products and the EPA not going after them is YET, harley was the tip of a large ugly iceberg I'm afraid.
I fear you're right.

And ask Al Gore, he'll tell you that iceberg is melting much faster than it should

Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM
MagnaFlow
Former Sponsor
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
Well it doesn't always make sense. MagnaFlow will sell you a turbo back kit eliminating the cat but the EPA didn't make a stink about that.
We have always had a good relationship with the EPA, partly because 99.9% of all of our exhaust systems are 50-state legal and do NOT tamper with the emission equipment. We could not continue to do the amount of business we do without respecting the EPAs requirements.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:02 PM
harkon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MagnaFlow
We have always had a good relationship with the EPA, partly because 99.9% of all of our exhaust systems are 50-state legal and do NOT tamper with the emission equipment. We could not continue to do the amount of business we do without respecting the EPAs requirements.
I, in no way, intended to single out any manufacturer. I'm sure your standing with the EPA is solid as you indicate.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:40 PM
MagnaFlow
Former Sponsor
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
I, in no way, intended to single out any manufacturer. I'm sure your standing with the EPA is solid as you indicate.
No offense taken at all, and we understand the point you were making. Selling offroad parts is risky game, and the EPA is bound to go after any brand sooner or later that offers products specifically for modifying emissions equipment. We steer clear of all that gray-area by offering systems that are 100% legal. Being the largest aftermarket exhaust company, we would making ourselves an easy target if we began offering cat deletes and such.

The following users liked this post:
harkon (09-22-2016)