Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&C seat gouged seat tab on tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016 | 08:44 AM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member
Default C&C seat gouged seat tab on tank

See photos. I see no way to resize them, one is huge.

Ordered a Sport Tour for my 08 Ultra, it didn't fit the bike. The hole in the seat where the tab on the frame goes, it has a metal 'rectangle' which was cut really jagged, it gouged the paint on my bike (bike is nearly new, picked it up last Fall; garage find).

Quite a long story but 'Shad' (guy who answered the phone) was somewhat condescending in the end, and downright lied to me about a few things throughout the process. The seat didn't fit the bike properly, he kept stating "we have that exact bike in our shop and it fits fine", when I asked for a photo of it, he backtracked on this (seat kept hitting the metal saddlebag seats for the lids, they were slicing into the vinyl on the underside of the seat, I spent hours buying and installing spacers for the bags, in the end the bike looked strange w/ the top of the bags tilted outward so much to accommodate their seat). Also, the rear seat tab was over 1" from the hole on the fender, I had to push it down to insert the screw, this puts torque on the seat tab. Not sure what was going on there, didn't seem quite normal. Maybe it fits the 09-13s better (diff frame), dunno.

yes, before you mention it, I did chat w/ Chuck once (and if you call, you should ask directly for HIM IMO), outside of that, if you order there, deal directly with Chuck.

Thankfully they took the seat back, but, with this metal rectangle issue, until there is a different design, I would not buy a C&C seat again.

metal rectangle built into seat for seat tab. Jagged amateur cut, hole was also crooked on the seat.

Paint gouge from the metal rectangle. For my bike, Candy Red Sunglow, it cost about $50 for touch up paint (this type requires 2 bottles, base coat and paint coat). Looked at HD and ColorRite.

Last edited by F150HD; 09-03-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2016 | 09:45 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

That really sucks but...................with all due respect if the tab looked like that and things didn't line up right to the point that you have to buy spacers I would have quit trying to install it and sent it back before anything got damaged. I had their sport tour on my 13 RG and had no issues with it. It was very high quality and fit with no problems. I like my Corbin better and ended up selling the C&C to a member here, but never had a problem with C&C. I feel for you, but it was preventable.

Old 09-03-2016 | 10:36 AM
Idahokid
Road Master

I also have a C&C seat.When I installed my seat the nose of the seat didn't line up with the chrome on the fuel tank.It was off 3/8 of an inch.I called and talked with Shad and told him about it.I had to take a drimal and grind the side of that metal tab to get it to line up somewhat close.The tab was installed in the wrong spot.Ill post a pic.

The following users liked this post:
F150HD (09-06-2016)
Old 09-03-2016 | 10:45 AM
Idahokid
Road Master

So as you can see I had to grind to the right to get the seat to line up with the chrome that runs down the middle of the tank.Its not perfect but better then before.The seat looks better then it feels.It like a park bench.If someone wanted to buy it I wouldn't have a problem letting it go.Shad said it may have been a blem.

Last edited by Idahokid; 09-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
F150HD (09-06-2016)
Old 09-03-2016 | 11:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by F150HD
Paint gouge from the metal rectangle. For my bike, Candy Red Sunglow, it cost about $50 for touch up paint (this type requires 2 bottles, base coat and paint coat). Looked at HD and ColorRite.
sorry for your issues, but seriously? touch up paint? when your seat is mounted, no one is going to see that spot. I would touch it up with some clear and not worry about it.

Old 09-06-2016 | 05:40 AM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadie13
That really sucks but...................with all due respect if the tab looked like that and things didn't line up right to the point that you have to buy spacers I would have quit trying to install it and sent it back before anything got damaged. I had their sport tour on my 13 RG and had no issues with it. It was very high quality and fit with no problems. I like my Corbin better and ended up selling the C&C to a member here, but never had a problem with C&C. I feel for you, but it was preventable.
That was part of the problem too (too much to type so I left it out)

The first time I called about the bags hitting the seat he said he talked to Chuck, showed him pics, thats when spacers were suggested (he stated Chuck said that). But, that is also where the lying began. He stated multiple times they had my exact bike in their shop and there was ample clearance, I saw no way that was possible as I put in so many spacers the top of my bags tilted outward and the bags were actually hitting the metal saddle bag guards that run around the outside of the bags on Ultras.
At that, the seat was still a very tight fit to hitting the bags. If the base were narrower just at that point on the seatpan it would have been fine. The uncomfortable StreetGlide seat I have is made like that.

Even at that, the way that metal rectangle is cut, it clearly wasn't done by anyone with any degree of expertise in cutting and shaping metal. Not sure if that is outsourced at their shop or what, but it looks very, very homemade.

Last edited by F150HD; 09-06-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2016 | 05:46 AM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
sorry for your issues, but seriously? touch up paint? when your seat is mounted, no one is going to see that spot. I would touch it up with some clear and not worry about it.
Paying good money for a custom item it should in no way damage ones bike. if the bike were simple black, I'd use what I have to cover this up. Unfortunately the color of this bike I picked up isn't as easily matched. And, yea it matters, if I ever go to sell the bike and a potential buyer sees this, things like that push people away sometimes unfortunately, been there done that.

Also, Living in the Midwest where we just came out of the 4th wettest August on record, that part of the bike has the potential to get moisture if riding in rain or sitting in rain at a rally, so its only a matter of time before rust starts.

Last edited by F150HD; 09-06-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-06-2016 | 05:54 AM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Idahokid

So as you can see I had to grind to the right to get the seat to line up with the chrome that runs down the middle of the tank.Its not perfect but better then before.The seat looks better then it feels.It like a park bench.If someone wanted to buy it I wouldn't have a problem letting it go.Shad said it may have been a blem.
To me personally it seems strange one would have to do this to a custom seat they purchase.
Yea, the seats look nice, but there is room for improvement in manufacturing thats for sure.

Old 09-06-2016 | 10:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by F150HD
Paying good money for a custom item it should in no way damage ones bike. if the bike were simple black, I'd use what I have to cover this up. Unfortunately the color of this bike I picked up isn't as easily matched. And, yea it matters, if I ever go to sell the bike and a potential buyer sees this, things like that push people away sometimes unfortunately, been there done that.

Also, Living in the Midwest where we just came out of the 4th wettest August on record, that part of the bike has the potential to get moisture if riding in rain or sitting in rain at a rally, so its only a matter of time before rust starts.
I understand wanting to keep your bike in as nice a shape as when you got it, but any seat that has a metal tab there is going to eventually wear, gouge, etc. the paint on that tab. and if a paint scratch on the seat tab turns off a potential buyer, then that guy isn't really a 'rider' and doesn't have a clue.

understand also about the rust. that's why I said seal it with clear...

Old 09-06-2016 | 06:38 PM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
I understand wanting to keep your bike in as nice a shape as when you got it, but any seat that has a metal tab there is going to eventually wear, gouge, etc. the paint on that tab. and if a paint scratch on the seat tab turns off a potential buyer, then that guy isn't really a 'rider' and doesn't have a clue.

understand also about the rust. that's why I said seal it with clear...
I own 2 bikes, have 5 seats, never an issue w/ any seat tab getting 'gouged' by any seat HD or other brand, nor on any past bike for that matter, so, no, there isn't going to be 'wear' of this nature in any form.