Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my DK Head breather kit. Leaking oil at the push rod now.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:00 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed my DK Head breather kit. Leaking oil at the push rod now.

I installed my DK Head breather kit the other day. Actually very easy. I routed the hoses around the A/C to the tee and a catch can. Looks nice. Plugged the original breather holes with RTV as recommended.

Oil is now coming out of the outside lower push rod, at least that is where I think it is coming out of. And it got much much worse after the DK kit install.

A little history on my bike, 2012 Limited with 93,000 mile. Just had new cams and lifters installed about 1000 mile ago. When I picked the bike up I headed right out on a trip and noticed the leak. It seemed to be worse at higher speeds.
Brought it to the dealer and they said it was coming from the A/C. They cleaned it and returned to me. That's when I added the DK kit.

Now literally the first ride after the kit install the oil is leaking worse than i have ever seen. Sprays everywhere but cannot be pin pointed as to where it is coming from.

I am at a loss and feel it will never be the same.

Thoughts?????

Old 09-03-2016, 07:25 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default plugged breather holes?

if u mean the ones that allow engine to vent into the breather how is the motor supposed to get any positive pressure out of the motor surprised it isn't leaking on every seal. id check instructions again or hope some did a similar install for advise

Old 09-03-2016, 07:44 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle
if u mean the ones that allow engine to vent into the breather how is the motor supposed to get any positive pressure out of the motor surprised it isn't leaking on every seal. id check instructions again or hope some did a similar install for advise
Here is the link to the thread that I started prior to the install and got the info straight from the horses mouth. Looks like others did it the same way.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...k-touring.html

Old 09-03-2016, 07:51 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle

I don't really understand. Basically it is just re routed through two rubber hoses to a cach can. It still vents, just not to the motor.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:37 AM
dwl25
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

My first thought is where exactly is it venting to? If it's any where near the pushrod tubes (like behind the filter backing plate) it could be the breather itself causing what looks like a pushrod tube leak with it's spray.

Can you return it to stock and see if the leak remains? It sounds as though you just connected the hoses an didn't drill the back plate. Even if you did drill for the hose to pass through a rubber plug from the auto parts store will plug it so that you can see if the leak remains.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:58 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dwl25
My first thought is where exactly is it venting to? If it's any where near the pushrod tubes (like behind the filter backing plate) it could be the breather itself causing what looks like a pushrod tube leak with it's spray.

Can you return it to stock and see if the leak remains? It sounds as though you just connected the hoses an didn't drill the back plate. Even if you did drill for the hose to pass through a rubber plug from the auto parts store will plug it so that you can see if the leak remains.

I hope this helps.

Dave,

The new breather vents to a catch can and is clean with minimal moister in it after the 2 hrs I rode yesterday so i know it is clear. The origanal tubes i plugged with RTV and drilled and taped the stand off's that are at the heads. All clear.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Probably just co-incidence, When you did the cams/lifters you may have pinched/cut one of the O-rings on your tubes.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:54 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Carl,an external breather system should help the engine breath better,not add restriction. By any chance,you didn't change the engine oil at the same time,did you? If so,make sure you didn't over-fill it. Your oil level should not be at the full mark but in between the Add and Full marks. Twin Cam engines are known to have inconsistent oil control and yours does have 93K miles,which could be contributing to your blowby issue. When you removed your original air cleaner,did you notice any significant oil coating the throttle body bore?

"The original tubes i plugged with RTV"? You did remove the old breather set-up,correct,and just plugged their holes in your backing plate?

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-03-2016, 11:18 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
Carl,an external breather system should help the engine breath better,not add restriction. By any chance,you didn't change the engine oil at the same time,did you? If so,make sure you didn't over-fill it. Your oil level should not be at the full mark but in between the Add and Full marks. Twin Cam engines are known to have inconsistent oil control and yours does have 93K miles,which could be contributing to your blowby issue. When you removed your original air cleaner,did you notice any significant oil coating the throttle body bore?

"The original tubes i plugged with RTV"? You did remove the old breather set-up,correct,and just plugged their holes in your backing plate?
"You did remove the old breather set-up,correct" not sure what that is????? If the opicture worked, that is exactaly what I have. drilled the stand offs and treaded them. put the origanal bolts back in

Attached Thumbnails Installed my DK Head breather kit. Leaking oil at the push rod now.-10353032_832204370155936_6816394840731629487_n_9aa3af7b34364abbb5e93e6fee7ca18f7a647ff6.jpg  
Old 09-03-2016, 04:21 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

It just doesn't sound like the external breather system is causing your problem,Carl,but I could be wrong. Do you have a filter or catch can, on the end of your breather hoses? Where is it located on your bike? (close to that pushrod cover?) Can you post a photo of the system,mounted?

When you had the cams and lifters changed out,did you re-use the stock cams or stronger cams?

Clint

Quick Reply: Installed my DK Head breather kit. Leaking oil at the push rod now.