Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Breather Bypass questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default DIY Breather Bypass questions

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread a while ago about doing what I'm thinking about, but couldn't find it again after digging through a bunch of breather bypass threads - so if anyone knows where this has already been answered, please point me in the right direction. Anyway:

Current setup: 2011 FLHTK with Harley high flow backplate/paper filter setup, with the breather channels integral to the backplate. As is, I've had the air filter off a couple times recently, and I have gotten maybe a 1/4 tsp of oil sitting on the rubber gasket of the filter where it meets the backplate. No oil spewing out of the filter while riding that I've seen yet.

What I'd like to do: Replace the existing breather bolts that feed the channels in the backplate with stock OEM breather bolts with the 'external' nipples, which I have. I also have a stock breather tube from a rushmore air cleaner that I plan to attach to the nipples, (just needs slight lengthening to reach - a longer T should do it I think) then just route the rushmore hose over the top and behind the backplate. From there I can run a single hose off the bottom of the T, and to the ground.

Now, my questions:

1) Are the stock breather bolts the same length as the bolts for the high flow backplate kit?

2) Do I need to 'plug' the breather channels in the back plate? I'm thinking no, as they will be blind to the heads with the OEM breather bolt installed, correct?

3) If I do this, should I pull the whole back plate assembly and replace the throttle body gasket and O-rings (o-rings aren't really necessary any more, other than to maintain spacing for the back plate, since the blow by isnt' going into the channels in the backplate?), or can I get away with a straight swap of just the breather bolts, leaving everything else installed as is?
3a) What torque value should I use for the breather bolts? OEM bolts go in at 22-24 ft-lbs per the service manual (with the OEM air cleaner setup), and the instructions for the high flow setup call for 120-144 in-lbs (roughly half the OEM value). I'm guessing this is due to the O-rings in the high flow assembly, and I'm inclined to think the 120-144 in-lbs is probably a better choice here?

Thanks folks!

Dan

Old 08-30-2016, 09:03 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Go to DK Custom and for $30.oo to $40.oo and get one of their Breather systems, JMO.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Made my own breather bolts as stock and aftermarket were not long enough for my AN Big Sucker intake. Integrated bypass left intact, used recommended torque. If not mine you remember, hopefully helps someone else. Less than $20 invested in threaded rod, hose, clamps and T fitting.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:03 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

[QUOTE=GregGillette;15466656]Made my own breather bolts as stock and aftermarket were not long enough for my AN Big Sucker intake. Integrated bypass left intact, used recommended torque. If not mine you remember, hopefully helps someone else. Less than $20 invested in threaded rod, hose, clamps and T fitting.

Great job Greg. I and MANY others are A/N BS users, so can you please back this up with a parts list of some sort. I have no idea the thread size or count and would love to pick up the hardware to do this once I am home for the long weekend. Again, very nicely done.
Kris

Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldPhat
Go to DK Custom and for $30.oo to $40.oo and get one of their Breather systems, JMO.
This would be my next step if I can't confidently work this out with help from the community. But I basically have all the parts of the $30 kit (that uses the stock breather bolts) in hand already, for zero cost. My goal here is to see if I can use what I have with reasonable confidence. If that answer is no, then I'll start ordering stuff.

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Made my own breather bolts as stock and aftermarket were not long enough for my AN Big Sucker intake. Integrated bypass left intact, used recommended torque. If not mine you remember, hopefully helps someone else. Less than $20 invested in threaded rod, hose, clamps and T fitting.

Greg, I did see your setup in my hunt - nicely done, by the way - but it isn't the specific post (or it might have been a whole thread??) I was trying to find. Someone either used, or suggested using the stock OEM breather bolts with a non-stock (don't remember if it was Harley, AN, or some other) back plate. I'm fairly certain using the rushmore breather tube was in this post too - looking at it, it certainly makes sense to do so to me.

Dan

Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
This would be my next step if I can't confidently work this out with help from the community. But I basically have all the parts of the $30 kit (that uses the stock breather bolts) in hand already, for zero cost. My goal here is to see if I can use what I have with reasonable confidence. If that answer is no, then I'll start ordering stuff. Greg, I did see your setup in my hunt - nicely done, by the way - but it isn't the specific post (or it might have been a whole thread??) I was trying to find. Someone either used, or suggested using the stock OEM breather bolts with a non-stock (don't remember if it was Harley, AN, or some other) back plate. I'm fairly certain using the rushmore breather tube was in this post too - looking at it, it certainly makes sense to do so to me. Dan
See if this is the one your looking for.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ngine-oil.html

The following users liked this post:
dandrumheller (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

[QUOTE=BlackPearl#1;15467785]
Originally Posted by GregGillette

Great job Greg. I and MANY others are A/N BS users, so can you please back this up with a parts list of some sort. I have no idea the thread size or count and would love to pick up the hardware to do this once I am home for the long weekend. Again, very nicely done.
Kris
I used 3/8"-16 all thread rod. Final length was 2 3/4". I chucked up a 3.5" piece in my hand drill and secured my selected drill bit in my vice. I made a starter dimple in the rod by hand then slowly drilled the hole thru the rod using oil and frequently removed from bit to clear shavings. I found a video on YouTube for process. Cut off end that was chucked in drill and ran a nut up and down the rod to chase the ends or use a die if have. For the tubing, I used 1/4 id fuel line and T connector and hose clamps. Mines hidden with the stock football cover and run the drain to frame rail, secured with black zip ties. I cut a 45* angle at the end to help direct misting down.

BlackPearl#1 (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 04:47 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread a while ago about doing what I'm thinking about, but couldn't find it again after digging through a bunch of breather bypass threads - so if anyone knows where this has already been answered, please point me in the right direction. Anyway:

Current setup: 2011 FLHTK with Harley high flow backplate/paper filter setup, with the breather channels integral to the backplate. As is, I've had the air filter off a couple times recently, and I have gotten maybe a 1/4 tsp of oil sitting on the rubber gasket of the filter where it meets the backplate. No oil spewing out of the filter while riding that I've seen yet.

What I'd like to do: Replace the existing breather bolts that feed the channels in the backplate with stock OEM breather bolts with the 'external' nipples, which I have. I also have a stock breather tube from a rushmore air cleaner that I plan to attach to the nipples, (just needs slight lengthening to reach - a longer T should do it I think) then just route the rushmore hose over the top and behind the backplate. From there I can run a single hose off the bottom of the T, and to the ground.

Now, my questions:

1) Are the stock breather bolts the same length as the bolts for the high flow backplate kit?

2) Do I need to 'plug' the breather channels in the back plate? I'm thinking no, as they will be blind to the heads with the OEM breather bolt installed, correct?

3) If I do this, should I pull the whole back plate assembly and replace the throttle body gasket and O-rings (o-rings aren't really necessary any more, other than to maintain spacing for the back plate, since the blow by isnt' going into the channels in the backplate?), or can I get away with a straight swap of just the breather bolts, leaving everything else installed as is?
3a) What torque value should I use for the breather bolts? OEM bolts go in at 22-24 ft-lbs per the service manual (with the OEM air cleaner setup), and the instructions for the high flow setup call for 120-144 in-lbs (roughly half the OEM value). I'm guessing this is due to the O-rings in the high flow assembly, and I'm inclined to think the 120-144 in-lbs is probably a better choice here?

Thanks folks!

Dan
1) No. The stock breather bolts are too short.

2) You are correct - they do not need to be blocked if you replace the bolts.

3) Why on earth would you do that?

dandrumheller (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 07:06 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by SBates08
See if this is the one your looking for.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ngine-oil.html
That's it! Thank you! Guess I've had my head buried in more of these threads than I thought.

Originally Posted by QNman
1) No. The stock breather bolts are too short. Well that answers that question. Thank you.

2) You are correct - they do not need to be blocked if you replace the bolts.
Cool.
3) Why on earth would you do that? Because the original install instructions for the backplate indicate torqueing down the breather bolts before the air filter mount studs. Didn't know if order would matter with a partial disassembly. Judging by your response here, the answer is no.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:25 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

That's it! Thank you! Guess I've had my head buried in more of these threads than I thought.
The stock bolts are 1-3/4" and they are not too short.

Quick Reply: DIY Breather Bypass questions