Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Inch Lowering For Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Spencer72
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Inch Lowering For Road King Classic

G,day gang want some advice on my next project. Own a 2014 Road King Classic and wanting to lower the bike basically as low but effective as possible. I have settled for a 2 inch lowering level front and rear.

Question:

1. What is the difference between a Burley Brand Slammer Kit
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/702-399

and a Progressive suspension ultra low 944 shocks & lowering fork kit combo?
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/163-853
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/231-543

Then there is all these different lowering kit blocks which are obviously cheaper again.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/632-576

Some feedback on if anyone has used the above items on bikes (photos) would be awesome.

My riding style allows for less clearance as I ride like a grandpa. Just want to get it low as so I can go for more of a classic low/sleek look as I have Wild 1 bars and just like the cruising look.

Cheers from Australia.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:59 AM
Spencer72
6th Gear

Further to my last, I think I am going to go with the following:

Front Progressive Lowering Fork Springs

Rear Burly Slammer Shocks

Seat Either a Corbin Hollywood Solo or a LaPera Bare Bones

Want it low and sleek. Only ride to work and the occasional weekend cruise 50-70km max.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have my Road King lowered 1 1/2" front and rear. I used the Progressive kit in the front forks, and Progressive 11 1/2" shocks in the rear. I've had no clearance problems, but I did lower the front fender. Really changed the bike for the better. Lower center of gravity is a big improvement. If you drop the front 2'' I think you might consider the possibility of the front fender hitting the triple tree. Probably not it you continue you grandpa riding style. I'll try to post pics later.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:28 AM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I have ohlins 2-2a which drop a couple inches, and got about 1-3/4 inch drop in the front with monotubes. No clearance issues until I moved my floorboards out an inch and back an inch. First scrape the other day. If you are doing it for better footing (short legged) keep in mind that Corbin Hollywood, or at least the Hollywood I have is very wide near the nose, where your legs will come down. It's a low seat but that width will cause issues. My stick seat gives better footing even though it's a little higher.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:10 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

What kind of budget do you have to work with? Generally, lowering your bike is directly proportional to ride quality.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,169 Posts

For me, I would stay away from the lowering blocks and go with shocks. Two inches seems generous for a permanent solution. One inch might be the better way with a lowered seat if its better footing you're after.

Not sure what your budget is, but have you looked at the air suspensions?

Old 09-03-2016, 08:49 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoRider
keep in mind that Corbin Hollywood, or at least the Hollywood I have is very wide near the nose, where your legs will come down. It's a low seat but that width will cause issues. My stick seat gives better footing even though it's a little higher.
Are you telling me the stock seat gives you better footing than the Corbin Hollywood? And here I was just about to pull the trigger on the Corbin seat. Now you have me having to go back to the drawing board and start all over. I'm getting just about sick of this. I'm starting to wonder whether buying this Street Glide was a good idea.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Roobx
Novice

I didn't think you could lower a RK Classic because of the way the bags are set up. Would have to modify them because of the indentation for the shocks to fit in.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:10 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Roobx
I didn't think you could lower a RK Classic because of the way the bags are set up. Would have to modify them because of the indentation for the shocks to fit in.
Dude really? A friend of mine just lowered his King with a set of the HD lowering shocks. And yes it is a classic.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:45 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

The leather bags don't have the correct profile for change in the shock angle lowering with blocks. Because of the changed angle it the shocks they will hit the bags. There are some exceptions so you could try it but many people have had issues with the leather bags and lowering blocks. I think la choppers has blocks that don't change the angle but with those also comes other issues.

Quick Reply: 2 Inch Lowering For Road King Classic