Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016 | 02:39 PM
JetRanger
|
Advanced
Default Oil Cooler

I am looking for experiences with "oil coolers"........thinking I want to put one on my 09 Ultra, but many to choose from. What is good-bad?

Thanks
Jet

Old 08-28-2016 | 02:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

I went with the HD it was pricey.

do over I would look at the jagg

but an oil cooler is always a good option ( stock on the 103") for the cooling and slightly increased capacity.

when doing the install you need a "7/16 allen key" here's how you make one:

use the head of the bolt in the fitting and use the wrench on the jam nut to turn it

mike

Old 08-28-2016 | 03:30 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JetRanger
I am looking for experiences with "oil coolers"........thinking I want to put one on my 09 Ultra, but many to choose from. What is good-bad?

Thanks
Jet
==========================================

I installed an ultracool oil cooler with dual elec thermostatically controlled elec cooling fan along with wards cooling fan both at the same time (approx 12k miles ago) to work collectively together as team to remove excessive heat from my 09 hd w-96" motor which worked out great resulting in multiple benefits in engine perf & overall riding comfort right off the bat which are as follows:

* REDUCED OIL TEMP 50DEG F IN SUMMER HEAT. AND REMEMBER ITS PART OF THE OILS JOB TO REMOVE HEAT FROM THE MOTOR(ESP AIR COOLED BIKE MOTOR) SO WHEN OIL TEMP IS REDUCED 50DEG F IN SUMMER HEAT ENGINE TEMP IS ALSO REDUCED X-AMOUNT AT THE SAME TIME TOO.

* OIL PRESSURE WENT FROM 8PSI @ IDLE & 32-35PSI @ CRUISE WITHOUT THE 2 COOLING MODS TO NOW 18PSI @ IDLE & 45-47PSI @ CRUISE IN SUMMER HEAT.

* VALVE TRAIN REMAINS QUIET.

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING ON HD'S REC 91 OCT FUEL FOR THE 9.2 COMP 96' MOTOR IN MY BIKE.

* MOTOR HOT STARTS FASTER/EASIER DUE TO THE OIL/ MOTOR/STARTER/BATTERY BEING A BIT COOLER & LESS HEAT SOAKED.

* MOTOR NOW RETAINS THE PWR,TRQ & CRISP THROTTLE RESPONSE IT USED TO LOOSE IN SUMMER HEAT WITHOUT THE 2 COOLING MODS.

* MOTOR RUNNING A BIT COOLER RESULTS IN A LITTLE LESS HEAT HITTING THE RIDER IMPROVING RIDING COMFORT A BIT INCLUDING "THE RIGHT OF THE BIKE & MOTOR " WHICH WAS ENOUGH OF AN IMPROVEMENT THE WIFE NOTICED IT RIGHT OFF THE BAT. BUT ALSO KEEP IN MIND NO MATTER WHAT THERE WILL STILL BE SUBSTANTIAL HEAT COMING FROM A LRG DISP AIR COOLED V-TWIN MOTOR & EXHAUST PIPES ESP WHEN YOUR SITTING RIGHT ON TOP OF IT IN SUMMER HEAT.

IT ALSO BENEFITS THE RIDER TO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A QUIETER VALVETRAIN & NO MORE DETONATION ALONG WITH ALSO
SEEING THE MOTORS HOLDING SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER/BETTER OIL PRESSURE @ IDLE & CRUISE (+10-12PSI!) TOO WHILE NOT BEING HIT WITH QUITE AS MUCH HEAT TOO.

So with that said i am very happy with the ultracool oil cooler w-dual elec cooling fans & Wards cooling fans combo.

But remember ,All the above improvements my bike got in engine perf & riding comfort was because i installed " both cooling mods at the same " so you need to keep in mind just installing the oil cooler or wards fans by themselves will not cool the motor as well thus not getting same results i stated above as when you have both of 2 cooling mods them working together as a strong cooling team like i did on my bike.

That was the best $$$$ i have spent on the bike thus far vs the great results my bike got right off the bat.

BTW,if your thinking about going for an oil cooler without cooling fans consider this,when is an oil cooler needed most on an air cooled HD,well thats when sitting in traffic or at slower road speed where there's little to no airflow thru the oil cooler .

And guess what,when needed most is when an oil cooler without cooling fans is just about useless sitting still in summer heat @ stoplights or putting along in 1st or 2nd gear in slow moving traffic or in a bad traffic jam due to lack of airflow thru the oil cooler.

Also,when its real hot like 95-100+ deg outside the elec cooling fans on my oil cooler do in fact kick on at highways speed for additional cooling too which is another area an oil cooler without cooling falls short.

But that's not as bad a situation as when sitting still in traffic at stoplights etc where oil/engine temp get out of control in summer heat when running an oil cooler without cooling fans that isnt an issue anymore on my 09 HD post installing the 2 cooling mods.

Scott__________________ 09 FLHTCU

================================================== =================

Last edited by wscott; 08-28-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2016 | 07:04 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

I put a H-D oil cooler on my 07 Road King Custom, it will cool the oil down about 20 degrees.
I did a Stage-I on it, and with two dyno secession I got some of the engine down a little.