Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Louie Champan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Charging System

This is a follow up to a prior thread I started about battery not charging. Anyway, new battery fully charged is in the bike a 2000 Fatboy. I tested the stator and it was putting out around 32 to 40 at 2500 rpm and I tested the regulator the way the book says and following some instructions given to me here and I determined it was bad. So put a new regulator on today and when I start the bike and read the DC voltage across the battery at 2000 rpm it reads 12.84 when I let off on the throttle it drops back to 12.72. So my question is that a normal reading or should it be something much higher than that?
Appreciate any thoughts, I'm stumped.
Louie

Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 PM
EL GRINGO
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, should be between 13.75 to 14 volts,

Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Louie Champan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EL GRINGO
No, should be between 13.75 to 14 volts,
Thanks for your quick response. So if the stator is putting out the proper voltage but yet I'm still not seeing the correct voltage across the battery when the bike is idling at 2000 rpm, can the stator still be bad?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 149 Posts

Did you check the stator leads/pins for grounds? Should read OL on each lead to case ground. Sometimes stator/regulator troubles go hand in hand. Double check your procedure for checking the regulator. Make sure the battery connections are solid.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 346 Posts

The stator's output is determined by RPM. The regulator is a zener-type diode that is designed to limit output to around 14 vdc. Any stator output below this value is unregulated, anything above gets 'shunted' to frame ground. The regulator has cooling fins to prevent component overheating. It is important that the regulator is properly mounted to provide the grounding necessary for the zener circuit to function properly.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Louie Champan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 6530mask
The stator's output is determined by RPM. The regulator is a zener-type diode that is designed to limit output to around 14 vdc. Any stator output below this value is unregulated, anything above gets 'shunted' to frame ground. The regulator has cooling fins to prevent component overheating. It is important that the regulator is properly mounted to provide the grounding necessary for the zener circuit to function properly.
Thanks again, and I'll go back and recheck the grounding on the regulator, a new one I just installed and check for continuity on the stator pins to ground.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Louie Champan
Cruiser

Checked the stator pins to ground and they both show 0.2 ohms to ground, given that can I safely assume that the stator is bad?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:38 PM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie Champan
Checked the stator pins to ground and they both show 0.2 ohms to ground, given that can I safely assume that the stator is bad?
Ensure u have a good meter ground, ie dead short. The stator windings have to be completely insulated from frame ground. Any reading in ohms between a stator lead and frame ground indicates a shorted winding. The output of the regulator can be checked at the battery. U have done that and it sounds like you have a defunct charging system. You have changed the regulator-what's left?

Old 08-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 828 Likes on 655 Posts

Stator volts might be little low. Not sure softail is rated for. But I would expect close to 20 volts per 1000 rpm. I would check that again, while holding steady RPM. Check at few rpm levels. 2500, 3000 4000

Old 08-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Louie Champan
Cruiser

Thanks very much to all that have responded to my questions. I believe I have a bad stator based on the readying I'm getting so now it's just a matter of do I install a new stator or do I pay the HD dealer $900 to do it for me.

Quick Reply: Charging System