Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 PM
FOCI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation rubbing noise

I have 2006 street glide and it seems to me that the inner fairing and outer fairing are making a rubbing noise i have made sure everything is tight still makes the noise any thought on the matter

Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 PM
FOCI
Cruiser

I have taken the outer fairing off the bike looking on the inside found nothing but a plastic plug that could be hitting i will try moving that.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:53 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Are the fairing mounts broken?

Old 09-02-2016, 07:09 PM
FOCI
Cruiser

no the four brackets are fine

Old 09-02-2016, 07:22 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by FOCI
I have 2006 street glide and it seems to me that the inner fairing and outer fairing are making a rubbing noise i have made sure everything is tight still makes the noise any thought on the matter
=================================

My 09 flhtcu did the same thing when i bought it with 9,700 miles on it.

I spent wks and countless hrs tightening up & securing everything inside & out side the faring inc new faring mounts too which improved overall noise lvl comming from the faring a lot but it never fixed that dreaded rubbing/rumbling noise your refferring too.

Myself & dealer both checked the motor mounts & they were ok.

Just for ha ha's i removed the upper motor mount strut and that reduced the rubbing / rumbling noise quite a lot,not completely but still enough to notice.

So that prompted me to to rubber mount that upper strut/motor mount which reduced the rubbing/rumbling sound some.

I had an HD tech take my bike for a ride to chk out the rubbing/rumbling sound and when he got back he said its very common for HD's to make that sound & that there's nothing to worry about or nothing wrong & near to impossible to fix.

It's frigging annoying as heck & the hotter it is out thew worse it is,when it cold the rubbing/rumbling doesnt show up at all till bike warms up a bit so its something to do with expansion someplace,where i dont know.

Sounds to me like its the faring rubbing against something metal whats vibrating that changes as rpm changes but cant find it & gave up after spending countless hrs taking outer faring on & off time after time after time along with many test rides post making changes & or securing things better .

That included shimming all the gauges that rattled like heck due to original plastic hold down brkt's being warped/bent along with securing all sorts of wires & or elec connectors that were loose and flopping around hitting outer faring making noise from the factory along with 2 cracked/broken faring mounts to replace too with only 9,700 miles on the bike when i got it.

Please get back to me with a PM if you ever find the main / root cause of the rubbing / rumbling sound so i cant chk that out on my bike.

Good luck & Happy motoring.

Scott

Old 09-02-2016, 08:08 PM
FOCI
Cruiser

well thanks scott but it sounds like i am going to be putting it together tomorrow it is very annoying

Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Possible fastening points you may have overlooked.
3 screws sandwiching the windshield between inner and outer fairing, they need to be tight, 25-30in-lbs

On the inside, check inner fairing bracket screws (4) that they are tight. They may look tight, but sometimes the brass inserts they thread into let go, and spin in their housings.

Check speaker support brackets, they come loose and make a racket.

Check that all your connectors are clipped on their mounts, including your ambient temp sensor

Finally check that the (inner fairing) bracket leg is lining up under the lower inner fairing, it has a detent and should snap into place on the outside of each upper fork.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM
FOCI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PeterV
Possible fastening points you may have overlooked.
3 screws sandwiching the windshield between inner and outer fairing, they need to be tight, 25-30in-lbs

On the inside, check inner fairing bracket screws (4) that they are tight. They may look tight, but sometimes the brass inserts they thread into let go, and spin in their housings.

Check speaker support brackets, they come loose and make a racket.

Check that all your connectors are clipped on their mounts, including your ambient temp sensor

Finally check that the (inner fairing) bracket leg is lining up under the lower inner fairing, it has a detent and should snap into place on the outside of each upper fork.
Was wondering speaker mounting only has 3 screws holding them in is that what there are supposed to be

Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 AM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FOCI
Was wondering speaker mounting only has 3 screws holding them in is that what there are supposed to be

3 mount points, unless they changed it up on the newer style inner fairing