Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Solo seat, what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mustang Solo seat, what am I missing?

Is this how the seat is supposed to mount on my 13' Street Glide? The nuts on the fender, then washers, the seat and then the special nuts? Where would the fender bib go?

If I don't use the washers the the hole for the seat mount will pinch down over the nuts on the fender. Am I over thinking this, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Attached Thumbnails Mustang Solo seat, what am I missing?-photo397.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 11:07 AM
pp6000v2
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '01 seat mounts differently in the front, but I can't see why the rear mounting wouldn't be different. There's no nut between seat and fender studs, just the special ones that came with the seat.

The bib just slips over the studs and under the seat tabs.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Yes, try your bib over those white plastic washers, then the seat itself, then the Mustang seat nuts. No need for the Harley nuts.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:34 PM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mental
Is this how the seat is supposed to mount on my 13' Street Glide? The nuts on the fender, then washers, the seat and then the special nuts? Where would the fender bib go?

If I don't use the washers the the hole for the seat mount will pinch down over the nuts on the fender. Am I over thinking this, it just doesn't seem right to me.
I have a Mustang Solo on mine and I don't use the nut. They say to take off the plastic washer too but I left it on. Otherwise you are always fighting the bolt dropping through the fender.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's how we recommend mounting on 99-up models:

1. Start with the fender with stud plate installed. You'll see the large retaining washers. Don't remove these, but remove anything else from the studs.

2. If you use the bib, put that on now. Then put on the black hat washers with the skinny part up.

3. Next comes the seat. The skinny part of the hat washer will snuggle inside the bracket holes.

4. Top it off with the chrome washers and the slotted nuts. If you're not running a passenger seat, any nuts are fine.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mustang Seats:
B.K. (11-05-2016), Mental (08-22-2016), Sigking (08-20-2022)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Mental
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if I could remove the nuts. I will give that a try!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Mental
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mustang Seats
Here's how we recommend mounting on 99-up models:

1. Start with the fender with stud plate installed. You'll see the large retaining washers. Don't remove these, but remove anything else from the studs.

2. If you use the bib, put that on now. Then put on the black hat washers with the skinny part up.

3. Next comes the seat. The skinny part of the hat washer will snuggle inside the bracket holes.

4. Top it off with the chrome washers and the slotted nuts. If you're not running a passenger seat, any nuts are fine.

Thanks for chiming in. Black hat washers, I don't think I have those (bought the seat used), are they needed and/or are they available to purchase separately?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 PM
hikervt
Banned

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if I could remove the nuts. I will give that a try!
That's awesome Mustang replied directly for you. You should be all set, just don't remove the plastic washers (nuts no issue) or you will be jacking up the bike or pulling the rear wheel to get the bolt assembly back in. There is very little room between the tire and fender to do this. Best of luck..

Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM
hikervt
Banned

Thanks for chiming in. Black hat washers, I don't think I have those (bought the seat used), are they needed and/or are they available to purchase separately?
Your going to want the black hat washers. They keep the chrome edge of the seat from riding on the bolt threads and chewing them up. Give mustang a call, their customer service is top notch...

The following users liked this post:
Mental (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Yes order the black plastic hat washers. This is what they looks like.

Quick Reply: Mustang Solo seat, what am I missing?