Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank quick connect leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:32 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanebo
Just did this repair--3 o-rings total. Straightforward job, but takes some care.

This link has that whole write-up, at post #4, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...2-softail.html

All the best,

Shane
what 3 o rings you talking about? The kit only comes with 2, unless you count the one on the tank fitting.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
what 3 o rings you talking about? The kit only comes with 2, unless you count the one on the tank fitting.

In the linked post, there is a link to the correct supplier for the 3-o-ring set on ebay. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...dVHSi6&vxp=mtr

I have seen other kits for sale from dealers and online sources, which contain the valves and springs themselves--none of which are necessary to simply stop a leak that is caused by ancient o-rings.

This is the right set, in one place, from a guy who is a forum member who used to work on these valves in production. All three of these o-rings have places inside the two-part fuel valve--two of them act as the seats onto which the inside fuel needles seat on either end, and the largest one is the one that is engaged when the two parts are joined. Yes, there is a fourth, large o-ring, that seals at the base of the threaded part into the tank bottom--that's not what I'm talking about.

Shane

Last edited by Shanebo; 09-23-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:33 PM
bnbrbr
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed! And cheap!

Hey guys, I had this problem with my 2007 sporty. After doing some research I called a local shop and they let me in on a little secret..

There are 3 o rings in the system. one way up in the quick connect fitting, one in the fuel line, and one in a groove in the lower part of the quick connect fitting. That last one is the one that causes the issues. You most likely won't have to replace the other ones - they rarely fail.

Harley will want you to buy a whole new quick connect fitting - don't listen to them! Just go to the parts counter and ask for part number 11105. It's a drain plug o ring of some sort, but its bang on what you need for the quick connect fitting. It worked first try no drips not even one! And I had tried several o-rings from my general set at home, none worked. Total cost of my repair was 6 dollars because I bought 3 of them to keep around my garage.

Super happy with the repair. Spread the word!

Old 07-21-2020, 01:36 PM
sooped
Stage III
Default missing o-ring?

When I reconnected my tank I ran into what I think is the same leak. It looked to me like the bigger male-side o-ring was missing. I just picked up the Advance #64492.1, but it just slides down and seems too big. Before I go to Harley I wanted to make sure I understand where this ring should go.... In the grove on the male end, right? Pics attached.

Looks like the 2 female rings are in place

The new o-ring should fit in the groove, right?

Old 07-21-2020, 04:43 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

I put an oil plug o ring in when mine was leaking and 35,000 miles later it’s still dry as a bone.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:57 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by sooped
...The new o-ring should fit in the groove, right?
Don’t know if your first post is serious or not, but no, that is wrong. I do not see a missing o-ring in your photos.

The one that normally leaks is the one you can see in your top photo, up inside the fitting.

Hundreds of posts on how to change it, including using special tools, dental picks, or even just a bent paperclip, as well as what o-rings to use. As 23Seven said, the o-ring that usually leaks is the same size as the oil drin plug o-ring.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:54 PM
sooped
Stage III

Ok, I will try a new oil ring inside the female side. I thought the male side had 2.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:11 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Very timely post here. Helped me solve a friends leak. Thanks all.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:40 PM
sooped
Stage III

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Don’t know if your first post is serious or not, but no, that is wrong. I do not see a missing o-ring in your photos.

The one that normally leaks is the one you can see in your top photo, up inside the fitting.

Hundreds of posts on how to change it, including using special tools, dental picks, or even just a bent paperclip, as well as what o-rings to use. As 23Seven said, the o-ring that usually leaks is the same size as the oil drin plug o-ring.
Sure enough, that lower ring on the tank side was the culprit. Looks like the Advance #64492.1 would work in there, too. But I went ahead with the Harley oil o-ring.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:45 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,656 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I just ran into the leaking fuel tank quick disconnect problem on my 2011 Ultra. I disconnected the fuel line to get easier access to the engine temperature sensor that I wanted to replace. When I replaced the fuel line, gas continued to leak out of the fitting. Searching HDForums, I found that one doesn't need to replace the check value but can just replace the lower O-ring.

I purchased a Harbor Freight test probe set (part number: 61872, $3.99) to pull out the lower O-ring. It was difficult working upside down with the fuel tank still on the motorcycle, so I drained the fuel and removed the fuel tank. Removing the fuel tank is fairly simple. Remove seat, remove console, remove 4 bolts and off she comes. Laying the fuel tank on top of towels and a pillow, with the fuel tank on its side, the process is simple. I then used a HD oil drain plug O-ring (HD part number: 11105), coated the O-ring with some silicone grease (Danco Silicone Grease #88693, available from Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon) and inserted the O-ring into the check-valve. Used a small socket and a hex/allen key to push the O-ring into place. Cost for tools, grease and O-ring, under $12. If you already have the tools and grease, then all you need is the HD #11105 O-ring.

The following users liked this post:
Duracell (08-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Fuel tank quick connect leaking