Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dear Abby;

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:14 PM
jblass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dear Abby;

I have a group of friends that get together for a group ride every so often. Whenever I lead on a two way highway I always stay on left half of the lane and the others stagger behind me. I have always felt that was the safest place for the lead rider as it keeps cars from cutting in to soon when passing the group. One member of the group, when leading, always stays in the right half of the lane and the rest of us stagger behind him. Abby, am I correct in my thinking that the lead rider should stay in the left half of the lane for safety reasons. If so should I say something to him and risk hurting his feelings or should I just let it go and enjoy the ride. Concerned in Minnesota.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:31 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

lane position is chosen to give the best visibility around corners and to offer the best visibility to traffic on teh road and traffic trying to enter from the side....esp the right side.

all the busted tires and lost cooler lids end up by the shoulder- if he whacks one, then you all risk going down.

in our area esp during monsoon season dirt and grit piles up on the inside of rt hand turns

If you personally don;t like the situation...drop back.

More than once I offer to ride sweep and a get back far enough so that I'm not caught up in someone's mistake.

PHX saw a huge wreck a few years ago when a group of riders all piled into each other-

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-17-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:58 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,373 Posts

My good friend and frequent traveling companion usually rides in the right side of the lane when leading. His wife following in the center or left of center, but lane wanders a bit. When I lead it is always the command position, the left side of the lane.
Some people seem to feel safer on the right side of the lane. He does and he is too set in his way to change. He does not lead in larger groups, so it is only when we four are running around together.
I agree with the idea that left of the lane makes you more visible to everyone whether in front or behind, usually the lane is cleaner of gravel or road debris and is generally the safer side of the lane to be in, especially when more than 2 bikes are involved.

When in a group, it also makes hand signals much more visible to everyone.

Dear Abby will probably say to confront your friend and if he does not see the error of his ways, tell him to ride alone or with another group, one that is more dysfunctional than yours.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:06 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Dear Abby will probably say to confront your friend and if he does not see the error of his ways, tell him to ride alone or with another group, one that is more dysfunctional than yours.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:28 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Dear Concerned in Minnesota: You bring up a social setting that I myself have had to deal with. Have you discussed your concerns with the others in your group? I'd suggest that you do that first. If they're as technical as you'd like to be, then all of you should discuss it with the misfit in your group together. If they on the other hand are not as concerned as you are, then you risk alienating yourself. When I myself discussed my concerns to our group, I found that I was the more technical, and none of the others much cared. I was then left with the decision to relax my standards or find another group to ride with.

I'm still riding with the same group, and don't much notice any longer the wandering and unpredictability of the individual that was the cause of my consternation. I either lead, or I hang back and let someone else follow directly behind him.

Good luck, Concerned in Minnesota. Please let the readers know how it all works out for you.

-Abby

Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

In Georgia it's in the driver's hand book. At least it was when I got my license. Lead rider is on the left lane, second is right , 3rd behind 1st. It even dictates following distance to be ,what amounts to, 2 car lengths behind the rider directly ahead of you.

Abby can say what she wishes but in some states Johnny Law will have the last word.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Lead rider on the left, as previously stated. JR

Old 08-17-2016, 03:01 PM
mibeaulieu
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrsess
Lead rider on the left, as previously stated. JR

Old 08-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,028 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Do it like geese..They seem to have no problems?

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:38 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Dear Minnesota: You are correct in going to the left side of the lane when leading your group.

Maybe it's time for a group meeting before your next get together, and can discuss things
like hand signals, spacing, passing, and lunch stops. Talk about leader placement in the
lane, and that both AMA & HOG say leader should to the left of center. Their are a lot of
people who feel that the leader in the group should have the freedom to use all of the lane
pointing out pot holes & road hazards. Everyone in your group should lead, to know the
responsibility of being a leader of a group on an enjoyable ride with friends. The leader has
to remember that he is leading the group as the whole, be it 4 or 5 up to how many are in
the group.

As Always Uncle Fatty

Quick Reply: Dear Abby;