Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid Leaking at Clutch Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:51 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans Fluid Leaking at Clutch Cable

Had the dealer install a new clutch cable just before I left for Sturgis... thing ended up leaking most of the trip - I'm guessing its the O-ring - dealer said when I got back that they wouldn't warranty the work because it had been over 3,000KM since the install (ride to Sturgis and back was 5,500KM) - needless to say I am somewhat pissed about that and will never be returning to that dealership (Trev Deeley in Vancouver, BC - stay away at all costs btw; I've never been in there when I didn't feel ripped off). Anyway that's a story for another time; what I need to know is how much of a hassle would it be for me to fix this thing myself? I'm thinking I need to drop the exhaust and pull the trans cover to get at the o-ring? is it a difficult repair?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

It's not difficult, if you have a reasonable amount of mechanical skill. Check to be sure the dealer didn't cross-thread the cable into the housing though, it's easy to do.

The following users liked this post:
CRF (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:15 PM
RatPwrd72
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You may be able to remove the heat shields from the exhaust and get the trans cover off. I'd take the lever end of the clutch cable off so it won't be in a bind. The o-ring is easy to pinch when installing, be sure to coat it with some grease when you re-install and as mentioned, make sure the cable isn't cross threaded in the housing.

CRF (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 PM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Nope not a hard fix at all, gasket may be salvageable too since they just had it apart but you may want to have one on hand just in case.

Not to sounds stupid but did you make sure the cable was tight where it screws into the cover? That's where the O ring sits, and as deadwawg said make sure it's not cross threaded.

You don't always need to take the exhaust completely off, my 09 with stock head pipes I was able to get it off without removing it only needed to loosen things up so I could move it a bit.

You got this one! Get at er!

CRF (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

if its cross threaded.... I'm thinking that it makes it a much bigger problem?

Old 08-17-2016, 01:21 PM
RatPwrd72
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
if its cross threaded.... I'm thinking that it makes it a much bigger problem?

If it's cross threaded, I would replace the cable and run a thread tap through the cover to clean up the threads. If they are too damaged, you'll need a new cover as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RatPwrd72
If it's cross threaded, I would replace the cable and run a thread tap through the cover to clean up the threads. If they are too damaged, you'll need a new cover as well.
then I'm going to be even more angry... its a brand new cable supplied and installed by a dealer that refuses to stand behind their work... I already avoid the place but the nearest other one is an hour away - oh well; about time I found a good independent shop to patronize when the need arises.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 139 Posts

I was able to replace my cable by just removing the heat shields off of the exhaust. Like others have mentioned be very careful threading the cable back into the cover. It goes in at an angle and is difficult to start. Take your time you will be OK. Do put some grease on the new o-ring. Yes, do remove the cable from the lever to give yourself some slack to work with.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:22 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would be p*ssed as well, esp if their shoddy work means a new case. I think I'd put a call into the motor companies customer care line and complain that an AD wont stand over their work...

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call (414) 343-4056. Our normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).

Old 08-17-2016, 08:04 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Are you familiar with the procedure for adjusting the clutch? After you reinstall the cable it will need to be readjusted.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid Leaking at Clutch Cable