Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with your touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016 | 09:55 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
I'm getting ready to do a 5,000+ mile trip with no real destination. Just going to the west coast and ride around until I get ready to come home, and it's all about the ride.

Bill
Happy for you that your personal situation allows for that. Not everyone's does.

Old 08-19-2016 | 10:51 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,839 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Then why have a destination?
Most times for me, the destination is only the gathering place, or stop over point.

Old 08-19-2016 | 11:20 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

I thought threads like these were reserved for winter. I trailer my boat and tow a trailer with my bike. That's where i am in life today, however i would trailer my bike if i wasn't able to ride it to the destination and that may happen sooner than later, I know have two small kids so my "vacation" is their vacation, that doesn't mean i can't ride though, it just means i might have to tow my bike behind us so i can ride when we get there. To each his own..

Old 08-19-2016 | 11:56 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Last year I rode my 14 sg from Michigan down to New mexico via the southern end of texas. 5400 miles in 9 days. I was picking it up and putting it down for sure. Never on the trailer tho i bought it to ride it. Now if the OL was with me like we plan to go to sturgis it will be in the toy hauler to get there and then we will roll around. She can't sit that long on the back of the bike knees and back start making her miserable. Unhappy OL unhappy everything. But while solo I roll out on it everywhere.

Batman

Old 08-19-2016 | 12:44 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
Last year I rode my 14 sg from Michigan down to New mexico via the southern end of texas. 5400 miles in 9 days. I was picking it up and putting it down for sure. Never on the trailer tho i bought it to ride it. Now if the OL was with me like we plan to go to sturgis it will be in the toy hauler to get there and then we will roll around. She can't sit that long on the back of the bike knees and back start making her miserable. Unhappy OL unhappy everything. But while solo I roll out on it everywhere.

Batman
Im lucky, My wife loves to ride with me on the back of our Road King, we take two maybe three major road trips a year, she is a real trooper. But then 37 years ago I put a spell on her, and we rode my 78 Sporty from Nor Cal to Reno to get married. Other folks do what they may, but were riders.

Old 08-19-2016 | 06:19 PM
7roper7
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Comparing trailering a horse for the purpose of work and making a living to trailering a motor vehicle that is designed for highway travel is a bit of a stretch don't you think.

If you are going on vacation more than 100 miles from home in your car, why not ship your car and just use it when you get there? The you will arrive refreshed and ready to go.

In the early 1990's I trailered to the Laughlin River Run (500 miles, an easy 1 day ride) 3 years in a row using all the popular excuses. Then I got to know and started visiting with folks that actually rode their motorcycles and I came to the conclusion that I was a wannabe and poser, and that I was actually missing the essence of riding and being a biker so I changed.

It works for me, and my experiences have been greatly enhanced. If you are satisfied with how you do it, then that's all that matters, but every time this subject comes up it seems that the trailer people are overly sensitive and defensive, so maybe they aren't all that fulfilled with their biker experience.

Bill
I guess sarcasm is lost on you. My point is that some people view those that wish to trailer a motorcycle as somehow inferior. Like not riding my horse to where I need to go makes me less than a real Cowboy. Sorry if my attempt at sarcastic humor was inappropriate.

I have done many Saddle Sore 1000s and 2 Butt Burners. One was on a Ducati Super Sport, not exactly a touring bike. I can hang with pretty much anyone, anywhere, anytime, any weather. I will, can and do stay in the saddle sun up to sundown, sometimes 22 hours straight from Ft Worth To Asheville.

My wife likes to ride about 2 hours max. She also likes to see the amazing places there are in this country on the back of my Ultra. I load my Ultra in a 2 horse trailer and we take off and drive all day and night taking shifts behind the wheel and go to some awesome places. Big Bend, Colorado, NC, Utah, California to ride PCH. If anyone wants to think I am inferior to them, so be it.

Those that criticize are idiots, small minded, and probably have not sailed across as much water as I've flushed.

Old 08-19-2016 | 07:14 PM
James40
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Many here are worried about how other people live.

Me, I'm so hard core I won't even associate with people that own a car. If you have a cage you're not a real biker. Exceptions for ambulance rides on a case by case basis.

The following users liked this post:
OkieBill (08-19-2016)
Old 08-20-2016 | 01:43 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
Unhappy OL unhappy everything.
Not to me! Unhappy OL="Stay at home" OL.

Old 08-20-2016 | 03:20 AM
Jimmyd_1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Yellowstone twice. We just finished a 6753 mile ride to the West Coast. No trailer. I did this on a cruiser (vulcan 1700 classic) I just got a touring bike (06 ultra) I cant wait for my next tour. I'm a Kentucky boy and I'm not afraid of Kansas or any other flatland slab. Asphalt and guard rails are part of getting there. We have words around here for folks that trailer their bikes. 44 states 2countries and finally a touring bike. WOOHOO.
Jimmy D

Old 08-20-2016 | 03:34 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Not exactly, if you lived in the flatlands of the midwest, where all the roads are stright....you would trailer your bike too.....but yes, touring should be done with the bike and not having it behing your mini van.
No i would not. I can ride mine on flat straight roads.

Quick Reply: Touring with your touring bike