Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with your touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016 | 01:16 AM
Focker RN
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
I just shake my head whenever I see baggers on a trailer-and I've heard all the excuses.'Bad back' 'not enough time' 'want to get there refreshed and enjoy my vacation' etc.Ya ride it or sell it.!
I trailered my bagger to Myrtle Beach for bike week. Because I wanted to. And, I'll sell it when I meet someone man enough to make me.

Old 08-19-2016 | 01:32 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Please, if you plan to trailer it, learn to ride before you get very far from home. My wife and I went on a 5K round trip from SE Oklahoma to Panama City Beach to Austin, TX to Roswell, MN and back. We met some "bikers" who came with trailers, at a hotel, after they found out we rode all the way to FL they wanted me to guide them around in FL. I did, for a few hours and soon realized they couldn't hold a line on the straight roads, and had no braking or interstate skills. I lost them outside of Tally, and never looked back. Dangerous bunch hooligans were a hazard to everyone on the road us included.

Old 08-19-2016 | 01:34 AM
Focker RN
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
Please, if you plan to trailer it, learn to ride before you get very far from home. My wife and I went on a 5K round trip from SE Oklahoma to Panama City Beach to Austin, TX to Roswell, MN and back. We met some "bikers" who came with trailers, at a hotel, after they found out we rode all the way to FL they wanted me to guide them around in FL. I did, for a few hours and soon realized they couldn't hold a line on the straight roads, and had no braking or interstate skills. I lost them outside of Tally, and never looked back. Dangerous bunch hooligans were a hazard to everyone on the road us included.
WTH does trailering a bike have to do with knowing how to ride a bike? Please enlighten me!

Old 08-19-2016 | 06:47 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Trailering a bike has it's advantages. You can lock it up at night in the trailer and haul all the crap you want to bring with you.

Last edited by RKZen; 08-19-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2016 | 07:01 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Focker RN
WTH does trailering a bike have to do with knowing how to ride a bike? Please enlighten me!
This is one of those "connections" like obesity and forks.... I just move one when I see 'em.

Old 08-19-2016 | 08:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 7roper7
I put my horse in a trailer, drive 15 miles up the highway when I need to round up cattle on a leased pasture. I guess I am not a real Cowboy. I could ride my horse on the side of the road if I wanted to. Shame on me.
Comparing trailering a horse for the purpose of work and making a living to trailering a motor vehicle that is designed for highway travel is a bit of a stretch don't you think.

If you are going on vacation more than 100 miles from home in your car, why not ship your car and just use it when you get there? The you will arrive refreshed and ready to go.

In the early 1990's I trailered to the Laughlin River Run (500 miles, an easy 1 day ride) 3 years in a row using all the popular excuses. Then I got to know and started visiting with folks that actually rode their motorcycles and I came to the conclusion that I was a wannabe and poser, and that I was actually missing the essence of riding and being a biker so I changed.

It works for me, and my experiences have been greatly enhanced. If you are satisfied with how you do it, then that's all that matters, but every time this subject comes up it seems that the trailer people are overly sensitive and defensive, so maybe they aren't all that fulfilled with their biker experience.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 08-19-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2016 | 09:02 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,840 Likes on 2,280 Posts

It's not the destination. It the ride to the destination that matters.

Old 08-19-2016 | 09:03 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Focker RN
Absolutely nothing.
Just this week I saw 3 baggers obviously on a road trip to Florida going 85 imph n a 60 mph construction zone bunched so tightly together that if the lead, who was riding in the center, went down they'd have all been grease spots on the highway.
How you get where you're going has no bearing on your experience, training, skill set or ability. There are stupid people everywhere.

Last edited by ORradtech; 08-19-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2016 | 09:06 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
It's not the destination. It the ride to the destination that matters.
Then why have a destination?

Old 08-19-2016 | 09:32 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Then why have a destination?
I'm getting ready to do a 5,000+ mile trip with no real destination. Just going to the west coast and ride around until I get ready to come home, and it's all about the ride.

Bill

The following users liked this post:
marvincbr (09-17-2016)

Quick Reply: Touring with your touring bike