Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with your touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:43 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 861 Likes on 321 Posts

I do plenty of long rides each season, but occasionally I'll haul the bike somewhere for a short vacation in between long rides. Currently I'm planning to trailer it to Sturgis now that the rally is over. It's just one long day of driving to get there...day or two riding around...then I'll haul a$$ back home. I'm working it in between a couple longer rides I have planned. Yanking it around on the trailer is the only way I can do it within the time constraints. A couple days trailering and a couple days riding sure beats not going at all.

Old 08-25-2016 | 02:25 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
For some, it is the journey. For others, it is the destination. I belong to the journey group. Meaning, the best part of going to Sturgis, attending a rally, taking a vacation is the trip to and from. I would not trailer, but I do not look down on those who do. For some, it is about the destination and the journey just gets in their way. I learned this as a young man. I cruised on a boat and so did a friend. He would race to our destination, anchor and only then start to relax. Next day the same. While I'd arrive having taken different routes, stopping g in small harbors, and trolling for for fish the whole way. To me, it was always about the trip, but I understand that to some, it's about getting there, then they relax. My friend used to ride I-90 direct to Sturgis. One year he came with me, 4 days all two lane. Now he enjoys the journey and can Sturgis in 3 days and spend a week riding. Rallies with friends has always been the trip both ways, then party hardy, and the long trip home. To simply beeline to the rally site is not in my book.
I love the journey as well, but it is a matter of perspective as to where that journey begins.

Old 08-25-2016 | 07:43 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by loopy
Hey Bill, where did you download your map from. We have ben to every state and would like to find that type of a map. We take pretty long trips from Florida, Nova Scotia, Glacier National Sturgis, Norther and Southern California and more.

I'm in my middle 70's and not ready to hang it up.

Loopy

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/

Try this for a "states visited map"

Bill

Old 08-25-2016 | 08:09 AM
Spartaman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I went with a friend from Montreal to Wyoming/Montana/Sturgis. This year's trip was to Tennessee. Next year is Utah/West Coast and back through Arizona. If you have the time and the bike, you should ride it.

On another note, my brother did the Tennessee trip with me driving his BMW RR1000S.... 2900 mile trip in 9 days. :P

Old 08-25-2016 | 05:21 PM
RUThinking
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I belong to the school of "To each their own". That said if you are trailering because you deem some states as not being ride worthy, well then you are taking the wrong roads. I've ridden in 46 states and all of them have very nice roads. All of them have roads I am not in a hurry to ride again.

I know many of you know this... get off the interstate

Old 08-25-2016 | 06:09 PM
James40
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I belong to the school of "why don't people mind their own business". I'd hate to live next to some of you guys, always looking over the fence to check out how I'm living my life. You paid for the bike, ride it however your want. Trailer it or don't. Ride it or don't.

How I ride is my business and please stop worrying about how many miles I put on it, how often I wash it, what pipes I have on my bike, do I trailer or ride or any of the other dozen other things these passive aggressive types want to lord over the rest of the other riders.

The following 2 users liked this post by James40:
mike5511 (09-06-2016), smokingjoe (09-12-2016)
Old 08-25-2016 | 07:01 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nighttrain
My wife and I just returned from vacation, we rode our 2012 Electraglide from N.Y. Down to Gattlinburg/Pigionforge Tenn. area , I was taken by surprise when we were asked many times did you trailer the bike down here , the looks we received when we told them no , we rode it down here , I'll just say some were priceless , isn't that what we all got these touring bikes for riding long distances out of town/state instead of driving the family mini van?????
Hahahaha, my wife and I do a cross country trip every year. From Tn to the west coast and back. That's the one thing people are like "WHAT, you rode on a motorcycle all the way from there to here?" I explain to them that's what they are meant for, riding not trailering.
But be careful, there are some folks around here that "trailer" their bike everywhere. Saves the mileage I guess, lol......

Old 08-25-2016 | 09:51 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nighttrain
My wife and I just returned from vacation, we rode our 2012 Electraglide from N.Y. Down to Gattlinburg/Pigionforge Tenn. area , I was taken by surprise when we were asked many times did you trailer the bike down here , the looks we received when we told them no , we rode it down here , I'll just say some were priceless , isn't that what we all got these touring bikes for riding long distances out of town/state instead of driving the family mini van?????
Glad you had a good time on your vacation.
I have a touring bike.
Got a trailer too.
Driven plenty of mini vans also.
Got the bike because i wanted it and was able to get it.
Sometimes i ride, sometimes i drive, sometimes i use the trailer.
Kinda neat to have the freedom to enjoy whatever i want to do.

Old 08-25-2016 | 10:26 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Just finished 4500mi in 12 days on my 2015 SG....perfect! No trailer, but yes I got that question too, but then they saw how dirty my bike was. Ride it like you stole it...my motto.

Old 08-25-2016 | 10:27 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by James40
I belong to the school of "why don't people mind their own business". I'd hate to live next to some of you guys, always looking over the fence to check out how I'm living my life. You paid for the bike, ride it however your want. Trailer it or don't. Ride it or don't.

How I ride is my business and please stop worrying about how many miles I put on it, how often I wash it, what pipes I have on my bike, do I trailer or ride or any of the other dozen other things these passive aggressive types want to lord over the rest of the other riders.
Those people never get out, and they live vicariously thru you.

Quick Reply: Touring with your touring bike