Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with your touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016 | 09:44 PM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default West Coast

Planning to leave in the next week or so myself heading west. No real plan or destination other than riding til I hit the water. Planning about a 10 day run to check off 8 more states bringing my total to 40 states in the past two summers. Will spend some time on the coast, and desert as well as the mountains.
Running solo which is the best way to travel. Can take my time or run like a scalded dog and stop when and where I want. Love it!

Old 08-24-2016 | 01:50 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wondering who makes up these touring rules? Just got back from a 5000+ mile trip. We trailered about 500 miles from the house to get most of the way across Kansas. We should of trailered all the way across Kansas. There ain't no good way to go west from Arkansas in late July. OBTW,
If you haven't been to Glacier National Park, you need to put that one on your list!

Old 08-24-2016 | 04:30 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,232 Likes on 11,674 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Just wondering who makes up these touring rules? Just got back from a 5000+ mile trip. We trailered about 500 miles from the house to get most of the way across Kansas. We should of trailered all the way across Kansas. There ain't no good way to go west from Arkansas in late July. OBTW,
If you haven't been to Glacier National Park, you need to put that one on your list!
Here's a glimpse of the "rules maker" ....
Glacier National Park is on our horizon for an upcoming trip....

Attached Thumbnails Touring with your touring bike-touring-rules-maker.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016 | 08:56 AM
loopy
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Bill, where did you download your map from. We have ben to every state and would like to find that type of a map. We take pretty long trips from Florida, Nova Scotia, Glacier National Sturgis, Norther and Southern California and more.

I'm in my middle 70's and not ready to hang it up.

Loopy

Old 08-24-2016 | 09:17 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I've been on a touring bike for 6 years now and never owned a trailer. I will probably buy one soon, since I just had a son. That way I can take my bike along on family vacations too. When someone judges me for it and makes some smartass remark, I'll probably just walk off and let them think they are cooler than I am, because I don't really give damn.

Old 08-24-2016 | 10:02 AM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
For some, it is the journey. For others, it is the destination. I belong to the journey group. Meaning, the best part of going to Sturgis, attending a rally, taking a vacation is the trip to and from. I would not trailer, but I do not look down on those who do. For some, it is about the destination and the journey just gets in their way. I learned this as a young man. I cruised on a boat and so did a friend. He would race to our destination, anchor and only then start to relax. Next day the same. While I'd arrive having taken different routes, stopping g in small harbors, and trolling for for fish the whole way. To me, it was always about the trip, but I understand that to some, it's about getting there, then they relax. My friend used to ride I-90 direct to Sturgis. One year he came with me, 4 days all two lane. Now he enjoys the journey and can Sturgis in 3 days and spend a week riding. Rallies with friends has always been the trip both ways, then party hardy, and the long trip home. To simply beeline to the rally site is not in my book.
Old bull to young bull, "Let's walk down and screw all them cows..."

Old 08-24-2016 | 11:14 AM
Jimmyd_1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddies wife has Windham rewards. it saved me lots of cash on this years trip. we did 16 days and I had nobody to split room with. every night was well under $100
we would ride 1 tank after lunch and then see how we felt and where the next tank or 2 would take us and then grab the Atlas decide on a destination and she would call Windham to cut the deal. Sams club used to offer this kind of service but I'm pretty sure they dropped it.

Old 08-24-2016 | 11:25 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Spindrifter
Old bull to young bull, "Let's walk down and screw all them cows..."
Your answer is so much simpler than mine and accomplishes the same end.

The following users liked this post:
Spindrifter (09-06-2016)
Old 08-24-2016 | 12:48 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,873 Posts

I've been riding since '69 and I've rode and trailered on long trips.
To me it's a matter of time (and comfort).

No reason to "punish" yourself in order to complete a trip if using a trailer (and an air conditioned vehicle) can quickly knock out some miles of boring highway miles.

I sometimes trailer our bikes to a designated point and my wife flies to a nearby airport and we park the rig and tour from there. This saves a lot of her vacation time for other trips.

It's especially productive if you have two drivers sharing the drive time,

No shame in doing the smart thing.

Old 08-24-2016 | 02:33 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 861 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by loopy
Hey Bill, where did you download your map from. We have ben to every state and would like to find that type of a map. We take pretty long trips from Florida, Nova Scotia, Glacier National Sturgis, Norther and Southern California and more.

I'm in my middle 70's and not ready to hang it up.

Loopy
I'm not Bill, but here's a link to the map creation site.

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

Quick Reply: Touring with your touring bike