Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the correct way to check oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:04 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts
Default What is the correct way to check oil level?

I apologize in advance for the newb question. I'm new to the HD world.

Just bought an '07 Electra Glide Ultra Classis with a 96CI motor. I'm still not 100% clear on checking engine oil levels. All I have read is to check it on the "jiffy stand" as HD calls it.

Should I be checking the level when the engine is warm or cold? I'm afraid I may have over filled it. I had changed oil and filter this weekend and added 3.5 qts of Amsoil 20W-50. It seemed a little low. I added a little more when it was cold and used almost 4 qts. The level was right on the top mark. After looking at the dipstick more closely(and now I'm beginning to feel like a dipstick ), I noticed it stated the top of the mark is supposed to be read when hot.

Suggestions?

Old 08-16-2016, 04:21 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I copied this from the on-line 2007 touring owners manual

Oil Level Cold Check
Perform engine oil level COLD CHECK as follows:
  1. For preride inspection, place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached).
  2. Turn filler plug/dipstick counterclockwise. Remove and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick back into the oil pan with the plug screwed completely into the fill spout.
  3. See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and verify the level of the oil. The correct oil level should register between the two marks on the dipstick. If sidecar is attached, check oil level using the opposite side of dipstick as shown in Engine Oil Dipstick (Sidecar Use).
NOTE:
If oil level is at or below the lower arrow, add only enough oil to bring the level to the middle of the two marks on the dipstick.

Oil Level Hot Check

Perform engine oil level HOT CHECK as follows:
  1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
  2. Place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached). Allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
  3. Turn filler plug/dipstick counterclockwise. Remove and wipe off the dipstick. Insert it back with the plug screwed completely into the fill spout.
  4. See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. If sidecar is attached, check oil level using the opposite side of dipstick as shown in Engine Oil Dipstick (Sidecar Use). Add only enough oil to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
    NOTE:
    Refer to Recommended Engine Oils. Use only recommended oil specified in Engine Lubrication.
  5. Start engine and carefully check for oil leaks around drain plug and oil filter.
Engine oil level should be checked only when engine is at normal operating temperature.
NOTE:
The engine will require a longer warm up period in colder weather.

Do not allow hot oil level to fall below Add/Fill mark on dipstick. Doing so can result in equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00189a)

Do not overfill oil tank. Doing so can result in oil carryover to the air cleaner leading to equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00190a)
  1. ADD QT (lower) mark
  2. Cold check level
  3. FULL (hot check) mark
Engine Oil Dipstick

NOTES:
The engine oil dipstick has different markings on its two sides. Engine Oil Dipstick shows the engine oil level when the motorcycle is on its jiffy stand. Engine Oil Dipstick (Sidecar Use) shows the engine oil level with a sidecar attached (motorcycle upright).
For cold check level, do not exceed the midpoint (2) when filling with oil.

1. ADD QT (lower) mark
  2. Cold check level
  3. FULL (hot check) mark
Engine Oil Dipstick (Sidecar Use)

The following 4 users liked this post by semiret:
ElectraJim (08-16-2016), GalvTexGuy (08-16-2016), Saw666 (08-17-2016), stuart1270 (12-22-2019)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:25 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Do yourself a favor and buy the service manual. Most, if not all, of your service questions will be answered.

The following users liked this post:
ElectraJim (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:25 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Unhappy

Uh oh.... I may have over filled it. Crap!

Now I wonder if I can drain just a little out while its cold and recheck. Man, speaking of dipsticks!(namely... me)

Thank you, semiret for the info. I appreciate it very much.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:28 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by just plain john
Do yourself a favor and buy the service manual. Most, if not all, of your service questions will be answered.
I have one coming. The dealership I bought oil and filter at didn't have the correct year in stock. It's supposed to be in tomorrow. I've a hell of a lot to learn.

Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2016, 04:28 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yes - speaking from experience, you can drain a bit out. Drain it into something clean in case you drain too much

ElectraJim (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:29 PM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Yes needs checked good and hot. Believe the big book states to let it idle for two minutes on stand after getting it warmed up. I found it needs to be driven at least 20 minutes before checking. I've had to suck it out a couple times now.

Yes it needs driven at least 20 minute to get the true reading. Book states to idle couple minutes on stand, shut off then check.

ElectraJim (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:31 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Easier to suck it out the fill hole instead of trying to drain just a little with the drain plug.

The following 4 users liked this post by thealien:
Bodacious MC (12-02-2019), ElectraJim (08-16-2016), FastEddie09 (11-30-2019), Goose_NC (11-27-2019)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:32 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by semiret
yes - speaking from experience, you can drain a bit out. Drain it into something clean in case you drain too much
Or if I drain too much, I'll just correct the level. Good thing I bought extra.

Originally Posted by xcbullet
Yes it needs driven at least 20 minute to get the true reading. Book states to idle couple minutes on stand, shut off then check.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the info!!

Old 08-16-2016, 04:34 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thealien
Easier to suck it out the fill hole instead of trying to drain just a little with the drain plug.
Hmmm, not entirely sure what I would use. I assume something that is syringe-like. I might have to research that a little.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply: What is the correct way to check oil level?