Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb miostake

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:48 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts
Default Dumb miostake

Riding 30 to 40K a year I have developed a series of preparations to follow which promotes everything going right during the trips.

Well I finally screwed up on a ride through the Black Hills during Sturgis. I was going to go to Spearfish Canyon in the morning then 85 to Wyoming down to 18 then up to Custer. I filled up the night before so I was ready first thing in the morning. Got up and instead of checking everything for bike I decided to clean the trash out of the tent and took it to the dumpster. Hopped onto the bike and headed out. Beautiful morning and light traffic.

Went through the Canyon and on down to New Castle in Wyoming great vistas and the Road King was just purring. Because there were no more towns until I would get to Custer I topped off the tank at Newcastle, Wyoming. Went to start the bike and oh no just flashing turn signal lights.

Then I remembered that when I got back to the tent I just hopped on the bike and the fob was still in the tent but close enough for the bike to detect it.

I started to go through what options I had. I could try to get a ride a hundred miles back to the tent and then back to the bike. Not likely. Call a tow truck to haul the bike to the campgrounds. If a could find one possibly $500 and three to four hours shot.

I sit there on the bike thinking that this was the first bike that I had security on that I did not set a code. I must be getting senile in my old age. Then I remembered a conversation with a tech where I bought the bike when I was getting a new battery for a fob. He had mentioned that they always put 11111 as the pin number in as part of the prep of a new bike.

I entered the code and the bike came alive! Had to do that a couple of times before I got back to the campgrounds that evening. I was very lucky for my failure to get the fob before I left and not to have set my own code.

The one time you don't follow your program is the time it will bite you in the butt.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:14 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

There have been a few treads on out local hd forum recently regarding loosing fob, pros and cons, etc, on bike with security system ...
As we cant change the system, the only take I got from all the responses is,, learn the procedure to imput your personal pin ,, and how to activate it , if and when the fob is misplaced or lost .. Will stop a lot of heartache, if and when it may happen..
Good to hear everything worked out ok for you .... Enjoy the rest of your ride/trip ...
Cheers....

Old 08-13-2016, 04:34 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Glad you posted. I know my pin but its been over three years since the dealer showed me the process.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Thanks to this forum, I knew about the manual override, when I bought my '03. The dealer put in my favorite pin #. I practice overriding every few months.
I also keep my spare fob on a belt keychain on long trips. And a spare key taped on the bike.
I am lucky enough to only worry about one bike. You are burdened with a whole driveway full.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Murphy's Law is inescapable. And if you were really senile you wouldn't have recalled the proper code.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:05 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,911 Likes on 4,134 Posts

Glad it worked out for you in the end. I'll bet you won't do that again.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:09 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,569 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Glad you got it running, now go buy some Lottery tickets

Old 08-13-2016, 06:32 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Thats the reason I didn't want a bike with the security.Can't tell you the many times I left my key at home on my 2011 just to get into the gas cap.Finally got a universal key from the dealer that I left on the bike.It would unlock the gas cap but nothing else.Now I have a 2016 SGS.Gonna have to learn how to operate that code.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:44 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Riding 30 to 40K a year I have developed a series of preparations to follow which promotes everything going right during the trips.

Well I finally screwed up on a ride through the Black Hills during Sturgis. I was going to go to Spearfish Canyon in the morning then 85 to Wyoming down to 18 then up to Custer. I filled up the night before so I was ready first thing in the morning. Got up and instead of checking everything for bike I decided to clean the trash out of the tent and took it to the dumpster. Hopped onto the bike and headed out. Beautiful morning and light traffic.

Went through the Canyon and on down to New Castle in Wyoming great vistas and the Road King was just purring. Because there were no more towns until I would get to Custer I topped off the tank at Newcastle, Wyoming. Went to start the bike and oh no just flashing turn signal lights.

Then I remembered that when I got back to the tent I just hopped on the bike and the fob was still in the tent but close enough for the bike to detect it.

I started to go through what options I had. I could try to get a ride a hundred miles back to the tent and then back to the bike. Not likely. Call a tow truck to haul the bike to the campgrounds. If a could find one possibly $500 and three to four hours shot.

I sit there on the bike thinking that this was the first bike that I had security on that I did not set a code. I must be getting senile in my old age. Then I remembered a conversation with a tech where I bought the bike when I was getting a new battery for a fob. He had mentioned that they always put 11111 as the pin number in as part of the prep of a new bike.

I entered the code and the bike came alive! Had to do that a couple of times before I got back to the campgrounds that evening. I was very lucky for my failure to get the fob before I left and not to have set my own code.

The one time you don't follow your program is the time it will bite you in the butt.
Thats why I put my fob on a hook and attach to my belt loop before I ride. Like you I have lrft without my fob a few times now its with me at all ridding times

Old 08-13-2016, 07:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Question

I've had security systems on several bikes, for longer than I can recall. Do the very latest bikes still use a key? In which case why is the fob not attached to it?! That is what a fob is for, after all!

Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4

.......Then I remembered a conversation with a tech where I bought the bike when I was getting a new battery for a fob. He had mentioned that they always put 11111 as the pin number in as part of the prep of a new bike.

Yep, you got lucky. You discovered a hole in your prep freakishness - first thing I did when I got the bike is change the code and write it down on the little card they give you, and I keep it in my bike paperwork.

Quick Reply: Dumb miostake