Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler for 07?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007 | 01:02 AM
Boxer Harley
|
Intermediate
Default Oil Cooler for 07?

I just read the newissue of AMERICAN IRON. A guy wrote in to the magazine stating he was having problems with his 07 getting hot. (don't we all). This guy put a oil cooler on the bike and says he drop his oil temp 40-60 degrees. He does not mention the type of cooler. I called the shop today. They quoted me 2 hours labor $150.00 and somewhere around $249.00for the HDcooler. Has anyone put one of these on their bikes? Is it hard to do? Do you have to tap into the motor? What type of cooler is the best. I would like to reep the benefits of the cooler temps this summer. It is a wonder that HD dosen't offer a cooler on a $20k bike. Maybe they will get wise and put coolers and oil temp gauges on the 08's. Oh wait, I forgot that would take money out of the investors pockets.

Old 05-23-2007 | 02:12 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Oil Cooler for 07?

i put the premium HD cooler on my '07. you take out the threaded nipple that the oil filter screws on, and replace it with an adaptor. the oil lines connect to it and to the cooler that is mounted just above the regulator. wasn't too tough, but the instructions were a bit of a pos.

Old 05-23-2007 | 02:39 AM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

I'm waiting to put a cooler on mine as well. I'm going to use the HD premium oil cooler for the 07's but right now I'm making some big braces payments this month but the first of next month things should be right. The new coolertaps inright where the oil filter mounts and attaches below the regulator. Should be very easy to install your self. If you have not changed the pipes and air cleaner and retuned the bike with something like the PCIII, SERT, or Fuelpak, you could lower the temps by doing so.

Old 05-23-2007 | 01:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Boxer Harley

It is a wonder that HD dosen't offer a cooler on a $20k bike. Maybe they will get wise and put coolers and oil temp gauges on the 08's. Oh wait, I forgot that would take money out of the investors pockets.
Yeah, why should they give it to you when they can sell it to you after the fact? Anyway, the install of the '07 cooler is easy except for one thing: Be sure you have a 7/16" or 11mm Allen socket or wrench to install the filter adapter fastener. That isn't a common tool, but you can fake it by using a medium-length bolt with a 7/16 head, then install two nuts (also 7/16") and jam them on the end of the bolt. This should work as well, as the torque for installing is not high.

This is a worthwhile installation, IMO, and I agree that it should be standard on all TC's, especially the 96 motor. Another cooler worth looking at is the Jagg 10-row, which mounts on the left downtube. Be sure you also buy the thermostat so cold oil doesn't flow through the cooler slowing warm-up times. It is standard with the HD cooler, but I believe it is optional on the 10-row.

Old 05-23-2007 | 04:14 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master

I have a Jagg on my FXRS but haven't put a cooler on my FLHTC yet. When I do it'll be another Jagg.

Old 05-23-2007 | 04:36 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Does anyone using the Jagg oil cooler have a close up picture you can post?

Old 05-23-2007 | 08:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

This is the 10-row from the Jagg site:

http://www.jagg.com/JAGG2200x.jpg

The cooler fits longitudinally, not against the wind like most coolers, and the flap on the side creates a vacuum that draws air through the cooler.

Old 05-23-2007 | 10:59 PM
PAPAFISH
Cruiser

Any pics of the MoCos cooler?

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:08 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Goto www.harleydavidson.com and look up touring/products, then select oil. Lots of info and pics there.

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:26 PM
robandlyn
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Boxer Harley

This guy put a oil cooler on the bike and says he drop his oil temp 40-60 degrees. He does not mention the type of cooler.
WHAT ! ! !
Well I can tell you it WASN'T the HD premium model.
Unless he did the test at the North Pole !
Wife has an 07 SG with lowers and the oil stick temp gauge.
I have a 07 Ultra with the same oil stick temp gauge.
I did a running test between both bikes. We did a150 mile
ride and I checked them quite a few times along the ride.
Air temp's were in the 60 to 70 degree range and the oil temp
difference was only 10 to 15 degrees lower WITH the oil cooler.
That being said I still went ahead and installed the HD premium cooler.
Oh .... Both bikes are STOCK .....
Rob ....

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler for 07?