Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensibility of throttle by wire in bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Pierre
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Get a set of Ohlins and get rid of the jarring bumps.
i have a set of pro action, i can separate the suspension versus the throttle, i ride other Harley with throttle cable and they are better than this throttle by wire by miles

Old 08-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Pierre
Tourer

Originally Posted by btsom
Harleys are hardly crotch rockets. Can't help but wonder what previous bike the OP rode for comparison. In what gear is this happening? The lower gears are certainly more sensitive to small throttle movements. I have learned to try to avoid the bumps and if that isn't possible, I coast through the worst parts with the clutch lever pulled in.
i have another FLHTC Harley before with throttle by wire and it doesn t act like this

Old 08-12-2016, 06:03 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Harley is my first throttle by wire, no issues here. Stock shocks do suck.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Kacowboy
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same issue. To be a matter of fact I like to set my wrist on top of the grip when the cruise it set. If I hit a good bump it will roll forward enough to take the cruise off.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:43 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

The sensitivity is from flat spots or steps programmed in the to firmware to meet EPA mpg goals. It is especially noticeable in turns as the rider adds throttle to accelerate. Riders who don't notice it so much are usually less aggressive on the throttle allowing the steps to feel smooth. Any 3rd party firmware up grade can fix it.

Beary

Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

My 3rd tbw bike. No issues. Used different bars. Grips I use are pm Renthal grips. What grips you running?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:22 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 102 Posts

Yup know exactly what your talking about. The TBW is way more sensitive to the bumps. Wife's cable throttle Dyna LR on the same roads is way easier to keep a steady even throttle. FP3 and other tuners you are able to adjust the sensitivity. On the bumps I find that cruise control works the best until I get a tuner.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Pierre
Tourer

Originally Posted by kblhd
Yup know exactly what your talking about. The TBW is way more sensitive to the bumps. Wife's cable throttle Dyna LR on the same roads is way easier to keep a steady even throttle. FP3 and other tuners you are able to adjust the sensitivity. On the bumps I find that cruise control works the best until I get a tuner.
Wife had a Dyna LR too and it's a lot better ...my bike is a CVO Road King and i plan to sell it in a few weeks to buy a new Low Rider.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:01 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,181 Posts

As mentioned it can be adjusted with a tuner. With Powervision it's called "throttle blade control".

Maybe the dealer can adjust it a bit for you?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 08-12-2016, 11:48 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Ive been having this problem that seems to have really gotten bad just within the last couple of weeks. Rough roads it feels like I'm in a rodeo. I just chocked it up to with the 10" Yaffees, my hands are moving more than with the stock bars with each bump. But I changed the bars last winter, so that theory doesn't really work.

Quick Reply: Sensibility of throttle by wire in bumps