Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide wheels on Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM
meat_ball
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Street glide wheels on Road King?

Hey all,

I've got an '09 Road King Classic and am looking to rid myself of the spokes. Will the wheels off a later model street glide special fit without mods? I am not sure what to look for as far as tire/wheel sizes go when comparing them. Will the fender look funky with a smaller time in it?

Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:51 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I did it to my 08. I found another 08 rim, the only thing I had to do was change one of the bearings on the front. Mine didn't have abs and the one I got came off an abs model (uses a different bearing on one side). My rear came off a non-abs and didn't have to change anything.

The '09s look like they have same inner change ability.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 08-08-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:57 PM
varidian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there
Thats exactly what I did. I fitted a pair of wheels taken from a 2012 street glide complete with Discs and tyres and put then straight onto my 2010 model Roadking.

You will not believe how much better the handling is on the roadking now and the added ground clearance with the bigger front wheel is just great ! With all of the above , easier tyre repairs ( Plugs) and cleaning, its a fabulous upgrade.

Highly recommended. :-)

Old 08-08-2016, 08:01 PM
meat_ball
Cruiser

Originally Posted by varidian
Hi there
Thats exactly what I did. I fitted a pair of wheels taken from a 2012 street glide complete with Discs and tyres and put then straight onto my 2010 model Roadking.

You will not believe how much better the handling is on the roadking now and the added ground clearance with the bigger front wheel is just great ! With all of the above , easier tyre repairs ( Plugs) and cleaning, its a fabulous upgrade.

Highly recommended. :-)
Thanks for both the replies. Does the skinnier tire look weird in the fender? Or is it not that much thinner?

Also, I didn't think of the ADDED ground clearance. I am short to begin with and struggled to get my feet on the ground before a seat mod...will this significantly change things, or is it a small change in the height?

Thanks again all! Love this place

Old 08-08-2016, 08:28 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

For an 09, any 09 through 16 wheels will work. You just have to decide, do you want a 17 18 or 19 front and do you want a 16, or 18 rear.

These are the factory choices. The 16 rear is the most prevalent and is a direct bolt on if you choose either an abs or non abs configuration. You can convert either but if you spend your $$ wisely, you will focus on buying the wheel with correct bearings for your application thus avoid having to change them. The wheels are the same, the bearings are the difference and the expense if you buy the wrong setup. If you go 18 in the rear, it will increase ride height slightly.

As to the front, the choice of 17 18 or 19 depends on your preference. 17 will give you less wheel more tire, while the 19 gives more wheel less tire. They are essentially the same size once a tire is mounted. Again, bearing choice is abs or non abs, so buying correctly lessens costs.

Most people are 18 front, 16 rear. Most common and most available from factory.

The 18/16 combo is also the least costly when tire replacement time arrives.

Look at craiglist, ebay and the classifieds here. They are plenty out there.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
For an 09, any 09 through 16 wheels will work. You just have to decide, do you want a 17 18 or 19 front and do you want a 16, or 18 rear.

These are the factory choices. The 16 rear is the most prevalent and is a direct bolt on if you choose either an abs or non abs configuration. You can convert either but if you spend your $$ wisely, you will focus on buying the wheel with correct bearings for your application thus avoid having to change them. The wheels are the same, the bearings are the difference and the expense if you buy the wrong setup. If you go 18 in the rear, it will increase ride height slightly.

As to the front, the choice of 17 18 or 19 depends on your preference. 17 will give you less wheel more tire, while the 19 gives more wheel less tire. They are essentially the same size once a tire is mounted. Again, bearing choice is abs or non abs, so buying correctly lessens costs.

This is correct in terms of sizing with the 16 rear 18 front is the way i went. Even though the rims are larger the side wall is less equating out to the same rolling diameter. Less side wall can lead to a rougher ride due to less sidewall but i didn't notice that much of a difference

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Racewriter
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2010 Road King, Police version, that came stock with the Airstrike wheels (stock Street Glide wheels from 09-13). They look cool as hell, I think. The sizes are 16 rear and 18 front. From what I've researched, the overall outer tire diameter is the same on the front as the taller sidewalled 16" tire.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:30 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by meat_ball
Thanks for both the replies. Does the skinnier tire look weird in the fender? Or is it not that much thinner?

Also, I didn't think of the ADDED ground clearance. I am short to begin with and struggled to get my feet on the ground before a seat mod...will this significantly change things, or is it a small change in the height?

Thanks again all! Love this place
Looks kinds like this.

Attached Thumbnails Street glide wheels on Road King?-fender-drop-done-007.jpg  
Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 AM
Gotham
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The 2009 Street Glide Front wheel is 17" which is the same as your Road King. 2006-2008 are 16" and 2010-20013 are 18".

Ed

Old 08-09-2016, 08:00 AM
meat_ball
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide

Perfect! This is great information...Thanks Big Sky

Quick Reply: Street glide wheels on Road King?