Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson or aftermarket chrome rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:24 AM
richkidman
Cruiser
Veteran: Air Force
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Harley Davidson or aftermarket chrome rims

Am looking at getting chrome rims for my ultra classic, what have been people's experiences with both HD rims and aftermarket ones? Pluses and minuses, recommendations. Thanks

Old 08-08-2016, 04:30 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

My experience with HD reapers is good and bad. Quality/fit and looks are pros the fact that there is little to no land on the outside and no counterbore for the valve stem to seat properly on the inside is a big con. It was a pita toget them to not leak. Not all the aftermarket HD wheels are like that so check the ones you are looking at. I looked at some other ones in their lineup after the fact.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 AM
irishfootballboy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i went stock chrome exchange

just got my whole setup together for first time this weekend. I was on a budget and wanted to save a few $$$ so I went with a chrome exchange on a set of enforcers for my '10 ultra. it didn't save a ton but it did save enough to cover the wheel spacers and axle caps I also got from the chromer along with the chrome front end. very happy with all of it. course first step was locating enforcers for the core at a good enough price to be able to still save. then have to wait a few weeks to get chrome returned. so that needs to be a consideration. but that can get you in a good looking set of chrome wheels for under 1300.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Davidson or aftermarket chrome rims-ultra-28-spoke.jpg   Harley Davidson or aftermarket chrome rims-ultra-chrome-enforcers.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by irishfootballboy
just got my whole setup together for first time this weekend. I was on a budget and wanted to save a few $$$ so I went with a chrome exchange on a set of enforcers for my '10 ultra. it didn't save a ton but it did save enough to cover the wheel spacers and axle caps I also got from the chromer along with the chrome front end. very happy with all of it. course first step was locating enforcers for the core at a good enough price to be able to still save. then have to wait a few weeks to get chrome returned. so that needs to be a consideration. but that can get you in a good looking set of chrome wheels for under 1300.
And those do look good... impressive.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:33 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,640 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Those look good irishfootballboy. With the chrome legs, looks like you have a different bike.

Chrome exchange is certainly a good option, but I went the other way. I wanted to keep the nostalgic look of my King with a touch of modern, so I went fat spokes. I had the 28-knuckles and the front was a PITA to get an air chuck on.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 PM
richkidman
Cruiser

Those are definatly sharp looking wheels irishfootballboy. I was looking at chrome exchange, since some that I've seen can save almost half, but am not sure what the quality of them are. Also don't know anyone personally that has purchased them. Was looking at sport chrome as they seemed the most reasonable. What chrome exchange did you use irishfootballboy?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 PM
mgmonster
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Depends on the look you want.

If you want Harley wheels then that is what you should buy. I took a different route and bought custom wheels from Eastern Performance. At the time I bought, I did not care for any of the Harley offerings and to me it didn't make sense to buy chromed stock wheels. I know your bike is a very personal thing. Buy the look you want.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:14 PM
richkidman
Cruiser

Understand mgmonster, just trying to figure out if the exchange program like sport chrome is a good product, not truly wanting to spend the money on brand new stock chrome wheels from Harley if the product that an exchange company such as sport chrome offers is just as good.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I was going to go chrome exchange route, but the more I looked the more I liked the HD wheels. I got the Agressor CVO wheel ,full chrome version. It was a good balance of cost and looks. I only changed the front for now, the rear wheel is a different size on my SGS, so I'll wait till tire change time. A lot easier to keep clean.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,193 Likes on 563 Posts

I went the exchange route, my buddy has the full HD setup. The wheels are a wash, can't tell much of a difference between his and mine. Lowers, cans, axle covers, wheel spacers, rotors, rotor hardware and calipers are not even close - mine look noticeably better and he gets irritated every time I remind him how much more he spent than I did.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson or aftermarket chrome rims