Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery not Charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Louie Champan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery not Charging

My wife and I just got back from our annual 10 day MC trip out through Montana and Wyoming, great time but had lots of trouble on the road.

I had to buy two batteries for my wife's 2000 Fat Boy. The first occurrence happened after we got to Helena riding from Spokane, Washington. Got off the bike and unloaded it came back to move it and it wouldn't start, no Harley stores but was able to get a guy to come over and test the battery and sure enough dead. So I bought one from Batteries Plus. That battery worked fine from Helena to McCall Idaho, which was 5 days later and sure enough, stopped in the middle of road for construction and it wouldn't start. Rode back into town and found a RV place that had a replacement battery and it got us home back in Seattle.
So in my mind, I obviously have something wrong with the charging system on the bike and I say that because I've checked literally everything for shorts and none.
So my question is how do I check the Stator and or Voltage regulator?

Sorry for the long message, but sure would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
Louie

Old 08-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,912 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Despite your troubles, hope you enjoyed the trip.

You may find helpful information here

Old 08-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Service Manuel preferred or don't laugh - YouTube. Be sure to check all the wiring connectors behind the voltage regulator -(Oil draining from the old oil filter when removed ) Oil can / does migrate down into these plugs and will cause a charging system problem that comes and goes.

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 08-07-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Louie, go to the Tech Electrical section, where you will find a couple of Stickies which tell you all you need to know. You will need a multimeter, but should find the culprit, so you can replace the correct part.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Louie Champan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Louie, go to the Tech Electrical section, where you will find a couple of Stickies which tell you all you need to know. You will need a multimeter, but should find the culprit, so you can replace the correct part.
Thanks I'll be on it today for sure and let you know how it comes out.
Appreciate your response.
Louie

Old 08-07-2016, 10:14 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A 2000 Fat Boy? Has the stator ever been replaced? If not, I'm guessing the stator output is low, or you have a loose connection. The stator takes a lot of heat in the primary next to the motor.

I was on a road trip with a group. One of the riders had a 2010 Heritage with about 30K miles. Before we left for the trip the local HD dealer "tested" his electrical system and replaced the starter and battery, because he was having a problems starting/keeping the battery charged...they didn't replace the stator...they said his problem was the starter. He bought another battery during the trip because the bike failed to crank enough to start the bike. A day later, the new battery failed to start the bike. An HD dealer replaced his stator, checked his regulator (which was fine), charged the battery, and the problem was solved.

I wish I had more savvy when it comes to electrical issues for my bike. Good luck...

Old 08-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Louie Champan
Cruiser

Thanks and I appreciate all the good input I've been given regarding this issue. Based on my testing I believe both the Stator and regulator are bad. Given that I don't have the proper tools to remove the stator I think I'll have to go the Dealer and have it done.

Thanks again.
Louie