Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What position do you ride down the road?
Number 1 closest to center line
43.00%
Number 2 center of lane
3.86%
Number 3 close to shoulder
5.80%
Wherever you feel comfortable
47.34%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

What position do ride in the lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,297 Likes on 6,040 Posts

Solo, I ride left side of lane. Two or more, where ever I fall in the lineup. Here in Michigan I hate riding outside or shoulder because they are so crappy. Just got back from Sturgis and i rode outside 80% of the time . Nice and smooth! If I'm riding with less experienced or women, I'll typically ride outside and let them have the smoother inside line.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I assume you are talking about two lane country roads or even a two lane each side interstate. I said the left of center because if someone is going to pass you, you want to dominate the lane you're in and make them go all the way out into the next lane to pass. If you're on the right side of the lane , they will not go all the way into the next lane and take your space. If you're not paying full attention and your in the right side of the lane all the time, a car could sneak up on you and not fully switch lanes to pass. Scare the crap out of you if you need to dodge a hazard and a car is lane splitting because he's lazy.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

I vary my position in the lane. Try to stay 'left of center'.
Meet a big truck; I'll go to the far right.
Come upon a curve; I'll stay to the right. (had a few cagers cut for me)
Two lanes in same direction; I'll keep distance and try to stay visible.
Pull up to a stop, especially a red light; left of center or right of center, to stay out of the grease and oil.
It is YOUR responsibility to protect yourself as much as possible.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:26 PM
rockymtman
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great idea for a thread. +1 completely with mkguitar - totally dynamic, got to be the lane I can see ahead best and gives me an out if I have to avoid something or someone. On an open highway, middle lane sounds good but not if a truck is in front of me. That's why it's dynamic. Safe travels to all, always!

Old 08-09-2016, 05:21 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,076 Posts

While my positioning in the lane is dynamic, I generally ride where the driver of a car would ride. I've long observed this location has me better noticed and respected on the road.

The place I like the least is near the shoulder. This location seems to inspire drivers behind you to pass you in the lane, and to encourage drivers coming the other way to take your lane, especially in curves.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Nobody protects their lane? That is what was taught in my basic riders course 10 years ago. You stay in the part of lane that prevents traffic in the next lane from merging into your lane before they pass you.

I saw this demonstrated the other day on I-35. A male rider on a SG moved over to the right side of the lane to protect it from aggressive traffic merging into his lane from the lane right of him. He motioned the female rider following him on a Sportster to move from her spot on the right side of the lane to left side. He was protecting her by forcing traffic to pass him before they could merged into their lane. It was noble and cool to watch. The traffic is pretty crazy in that area of OKC anymore.

Are you sure they didn't teach this in your basic courses? Lane protection is also used when coming to a stop at a corner to make a right turn. Position yourself on the center or left side of the lane to prevent a driver from trying to come around you in your lane to turn. I've seen it happen a couple times.

If you don't have traffic to protect your lane, then I agree lane selection is dynamic. I'm always trying to position myself with escape routes all around me. But one general rule is that there is more debris nearer to the side of the road.

Beary

Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
I think you're spot on. Of course anyone with common sense (a big misnomer) is constantly making adjustments. No one is suggesting staying in to the left of center if there is a big pot hole there.
I'm hoping some of the comments were made about riding alone and not in a group. Group riding is a different game, and like it or not, you can't take over the whole lane. This is one of the major complaints of group riding, besides not keeping a tight formation. And the big complaint about not staying in a tight formation is that the rider in front takes up the whole lane.
And you're right about some people needing to slow speed practice. If a rider cannot do a U-Turn within a normal two lane road without duck walking, they need to learn the technique & practice.
Exactly why I do not do group riding. If there is road damage I want to change sides to miss it.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I try to avoid riding with self-proclaimed experts. It has made riding much more fun for me.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:56 PM
meat_ball
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rg_dave
I try to avoid riding with self-proclaimed experts. It has made riding much more fun for me.
I know this post will add nothing to this great thread, but...

I find it extraordinarily IMPOSSIBLE to concentrate on anything you write. For some reason, your avatar, while not even front and center, keeps screaming, "look at me, look at me!" All I really read was, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

The following users liked this post:
cajunlowrider (08-12-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 01:13 PM
stoneybagger
Elite HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 315 Posts
Default left side of a lane, is where i feel most comfortable.

i mostly ride to the left side of the lane i am in. this way i can see around cars/semis in front of me.
also, drivers in front of me can see me in the drivers side mirror.

i will always try to position the motorcycle so i can see
around what is in front of me and so drivers in front of me can see me coming.

stoney

Quick Reply: What position do ride in the lane?