Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What position do you ride down the road?
Number 1 closest to center line
43.00%
Number 2 center of lane
3.86%
Number 3 close to shoulder
5.80%
Wherever you feel comfortable
47.34%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

What position do ride in the lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:14 AM
rprokop63
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I typically stay where the driver in front of me or to my side has their face visible in their mirror. Then if they bother to look they will see me. I no longer like the idea of using the left side of the lane as there is way too much texting and driving here. I am much more cautious about watching my mirrors for things moving at more than 80+ mph and weaving through traffic. I also like leaving some room to stop when the car in front of me either locks its brakes or the car coming from behind then jams itself in between you and the next car while slamming the brake. (This is a South Florida favorite move for some reason.) All that being said I try to shoot for lower traffic roads as less vehicles lowers the odds of getting hit.
I haven't seen anyone comment on stoplight position yet. I always position myself to the side of the cars so if I hear squealing tires or see something coming up too fast I have room to move forward and not get pinched between two vehicles.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZac
Thanks guys. There are some really good responses here. I usually ride closest to the zipper on those long boring straight stretches of highway where you don't see any other vehicles for 20 minutes at a time. Gives me lots of room to go either direction if an animal or whatever jumps out onto the road. As vehicles approach on those long stretches I will drift over a few feet close to the center of the lane. When coming up behind and preparing to pass I hold the zipper line so the driver ahead (hopefully) sees me in his mirror. Of course on the windy (most fun stretches) I would be where I feel most comfortable taking the corners using the whole lane.

After riding up Mt Evans and several other amazing passes on my most recent trip I observed quite a few riders that should be doing some slow speed practice. On the way down Mt Evans there were a few riders who were a little tipsy going around the switchbacks as they were coming up. At one point there was a group of riders actually duck paddling around the last few switchbacks. That is quite the road but that is another story.
I think you're spot on. Of course anyone with common sense (a big misnomer) is constantly making adjustments. No one is suggesting staying in to the left of center if there is a big pot hole there.
I'm hoping some of the comments were made about riding alone and not in a group. Group riding is a different game, and like it or not, you can't take over the whole lane. This is one of the major complaints of group riding, besides not keeping a tight formation. And the big complaint about not staying in a tight formation is that the rider in front takes up the whole lane.
And you're right about some people needing to slow speed practice. If a rider cannot do a U-Turn within a normal two lane road without duck walking, they need to learn the technique & practice.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:20 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

The whole lane is there for me to use as I see fit, but I do favor to the right of center.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I usually ride in the most left lane. Here in FL in city traffic, the curb lane (shoulder) is the "suicide lane". Traffic turing left will clear 1 or 2 lanes and never see a motorcycle or scooter and take them out. I have soon too many riders get taken out by the left turning car in that lane, I stay out of it whenever possible, especially in heavy traffic.

As far as position within my lane, I usually will stay to the left of the lane. However, when I'm on open 2 lane state roads in the country near here, I often will shift to the right side of the lane. I've had too many drivers not see me while in the left side and try to pass a truck in the opposite direction. In the right side of the lane, they see me much sooner. When riding with others, it's staggered.

Last edited by slapshot12; 08-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

Riding solo usually vary from left of center to right side of my lane. Sometimes will move toward the right when there is oncoming traffic, generally try to keep others aware that I am on the road by letting them see my lights moving around a little. Try not to be erratic looking but don't want them to go "deer in the head lights" and try to pass when not safe whether they are passing me or oncoming. Also works my tires a little as we tend to have straight level roads here in Fla! Ride safe all!

Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

If I'm by myself I usually ride in the middle of the lane. If I'm riding with others, I stay to one side.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:00 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

As close to the centerline as possible. You have to defend your lane or some car is going to think they can use it too in the curves. Plus you are more noticeable there

Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Hog magazine had a good article about this, with the pros and cons of each, refered to as A,B, and C lanes. Been about a year or so ago.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:57 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Most of my riding is solo and I prefer to be in the left (fast) lane on the ride side if no one is around. My thought is I will be closer to the line and hopefully in the drivers behind me line of vision. As I come up on a car to over take him/her, I move over to the left side of the lane so not to be in the drivers blind spot. I definitely do not ride on anothers rear tire, no matter what side of the lane. On the rare occasion I do ride with someone, and leading, I try to stay to the left, and stagger if following.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:26 PM
jonly
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stay left primarily. Center has all the oil spots and right is where all of the oil washes to when it rains. I constantly switch to stay most visible for left turners, mergers, etc. during the whole ride. the only time I 'lock in' to a lane is group riding.

Quick Reply: What position do ride in the lane?