Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heel toe shifter issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 04:07 PM
James A. Jennings
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. Did you go to a mechanic to get it drilled and tapped? I was going to use a self-tapping screw, but then wanted to reach out to someone with experience in doing this. My horror story happened while riding down the highway with my wife and a few others. The heel shifter came off and thankfully they were able to avoid hitting it.

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I had a similar problem but with an aftermarket H/T shifter by Drag Specialties, which I installed myself.

My splined shaft has an ident ring milled into it so I had the new shifter body drilled & tapped so a set screw could be inserted through the shifter body into the ident on the spline. Its loctited in place and nothing budges now.

All in all its a cheap, effective fix.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:35 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Throw that heel shifter lever in the garbage, problem solved.
x2. After my pant leg catching it the third time when new when i got home it came off. Personally I do not see the advantage of it.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 PM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
I put blue loctite on the splines, then installed. Hasn't moved since.
Same!!!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,956 Likes on 19,385 Posts

It's quite evident from the pictures that the OP provided that his shaft ( no, not that one ) is worn from the loose shifter arm. Replacing the shaft is an easy repair. Take note when you install the new shaft that it doesn't "wobble" in the bushings that it fits into. If it does replace the bushings ( Part #27 in Vernal's link ) . Another relatively simple repair. You DO NOT have to remove the primary to replace the bushings. After installing the new shaft ( and shift arms if there is evidence of damage to the splines ) be sure that the bolts are torqued to spec and be sure that the area that is slotted in the shifter arms has space ( in other words it hasn't collapsed so that it will not tighten further ). Using some Blue Loc-Tite on the pinch bolts is highly recommended

Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

The spline shaft is an unnecessary redundancy in adjustment. The shift linkage has adjustment in it so the spline shaft could be replaced with a square end.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,031 Likes on 4,071 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
The spline shaft is an unnecessary redundancy in adjustment. The shift linkage has adjustment in it so the spline shaft could be replaced with a square end.
I would disagree. The adjustment in the splines is the course adjustment and the adjustmentt on the linkage is fine.. You may not get enough adjustment off the linkage only. There is some overlap tho..

Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 466 Likes on 228 Posts

A lot of folks say throw the heel shifter away. I happen to like it and so do a lot of others so if you like it, here's a solution I did on my '99 Ultra when I had it. The heel shifter kept coming loose so I took it off, drilled out the threads on the shifter itself, got a grade 8 5/16" bolt and nut and tightened that sucker down. Nothing moved after that.

The following users liked this post:
Major Slaughter (08-16-2018)