Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose left muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loose left muffler

Had slip ons installed and now I've noticed while cleaning bike today that my left muffler is loose. Not a lot but definately not snug. Getting some side to side and up and down play where it attaches to the rubber mount on the saddlebag guard rail. Right muffler is snug. Do I need a new rubber mount insert? Started it up and noticed how much more the left saddlebag shakes compared to the right.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Loose left muffler

After putting on slip-ons, I always check after the first ride to ensure they are both tight. Most of the time they are not and need tightening. Seems normal to me.

Peace,

Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup - just tighten the clamps again on both sides. Check the bolts under the bags - they usually stay tightened.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Try tightening the clamps. If that doesn't work go buy a new clamp from your dealer for $10. (I had to buy two after I installed my slipons.) The clampsstretch each time you tighten them & wear out after one or two uses. That shouldfix it.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM
jjsanta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. New clamps from my dealer fixed it - $8 each. I agree with the last poster - they aren't made to come on and off more than a couple of times.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:13 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

I checked the bolt on the front clamp and the bolts where it attaches to the sadllebag support rail bracket. All are tight. I pushed the rubber mount forward with my finger and wa-la it snuged right up. Seems to me, and I am no mechanic, that the rubber mount on the saddlebag support rail bracket is stretched or worked it's way out of position.

My other theory now is that when I pushed on the rubber mount, I pushed the entire muffler forward. If that's the case and the clamp will not tighten anymore, I guess I should probably get a new clamp.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the clamp position. I had some work done to my bike and when they put it back together, they pushed the clamp too far up on muffler and covered part of the muffler where there is no slot. Loosen the clamp and slide towards the end of the muffler and retighten. This may do the job just fine. The rubber mount is for support and vibration dampening, and should last a long time.

Hopes this helps!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

I checked. It is flush with the heat shield. If I move the clamp anymore toward the muffler it will stick out from under the heat shield.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Dalejb
Intermediate

The clamp has to be located over the slots at the end of the muffler or it will never tighten right. If doing that puts it someplace where you don't want it, you can loosen the bolts at the back bracket and it has some adjustment capabilities. Also I have had the rubber shrink at the back bracket and caused a squeak during idle. The only way I could make it go away permanently was to replace the rubber.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:03 AM
jammer25309
Advanced

Dalejb is right, the clamps need to be over the slots at the end of the muffler. The further the clamp is away from the end of the muffler the harder it will be to tighten it with the result of not having the end of the pipe completely tight, therefore, causing pipe slippage. I had the same problem when I purchased my V&H slip-ons. After them slipping 3 times and me retightening the clamps 3 times at different intervals I realized that the clamps V&H sent me were not adequate for keeping the mufflers tight on the pipes. I went to my local indie shop and bought some heavy duty clamps and now no more slippage. You would think that after spending that much money on the V&H mufflers they would at least send you good clamps!

Quick Reply: Loose left muffler