Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Properly bleeding ABS brakes... what's the cheat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016 | 07:16 PM
finespun automation llc
|
Intermediate

Easy boys! ... all that from just a question? It's a forum... learning for all.

I can't believe someone hasn't come up with a way to cycle the ABS module without the Digital Technician... Sounds more like a money maker for the dealer is all... With all the code scanners out there and tuning software that gives access to the ECM someone can't access the ABS that way? With all the ways someone can screw up a bike with tuning and not be able to have access to the ABS because somehow that's "more dangerous"? ... It's just routine maint... Just makes no sense to me.

Old 07-25-2016 | 07:46 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Makes plenty of cents to the MoCo. Which is what it's really all about. Many auto makers do basically the same thing. They are all very protective of their proprietary tools and software. At least with auto companies you can get hands on older diagnostic equipment and there are aftermarket companies that sell diagnostic tools that can do most of the things dealers tools can. Unfortunately, finding dealer tools for sale is difficult and expensive. Aftermarket tools are more readily available but but still prohibitively expensive for the average diy owner. For example, the last time I priced Snap-On's tool, which was several years ago, they were running $5000 for the basic tool and extra for add on modules.

Old 07-25-2016 | 08:22 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Most of you idiots did not give the guy the answer he needed. One of the answers were not to turn the bike on.

The other answer is, after bleeding the brakes, go for a ride and engage your ABS by stomping on the brake pedal or lever. That is one way to cycle the ABS.

The problem is that you wont be able to get the fluid out of the ABS module just by bleeding the brakes yourself. That is what the digital technician does. It cycles the oil by simulating the ABS.

Get it???
Could you type slower so us idiots can follow?

Old 07-25-2016 | 08:49 PM
Cousy
Road Captain

So if cycling the ABS module is part of flushing the system and getting the old fluid out, what's the difference between engaging the ABS on the road and just turning the key on to cycle the unit after the bleeder is tightened?

Maybe the guy who likes to call people idiots can answer that.

Old 07-25-2016 | 09:18 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Normally I do all my maintenance. This one was worth the $99 bucks that the dealer let me sit & watch them do.

Old 07-26-2016 | 11:31 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Like I said, I've bled the ABS lines on a Softail and a touring bike and all seemed well. But I still took mine to the dealer to run on the Digital Tech and be sure. Call me crazy but I figure my life is worth the few $$ to be CERTAIN it will work when it's really needed. If other riders want to take the gamble with their life and find out if the ABS works exactly as it should the moment some idiot does the famous left turn in front of you, be my guest. If you find yourself at the Pearly Gates, just tell St Peter you're much earlier than expected but darn, you save a couple bucks.

Last edited by Gunnysgt; 07-26-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2016 | 11:58 AM
finespun automation llc
|
Intermediate

To be clear... I have no problem spending the money. I just want to understand how it works. I do all my own service... At least everything I am able to with the tooling I currently have.

So the current consensus is bleed as normal... Do not cycle the power on the bike with the ignition switch as this will cycle the ABS... This I can work with.

Old 07-26-2016 | 01:32 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cousy
So if cycling the ABS module is part of flushing the system and getting the old fluid out, what's the difference between engaging the ABS on the road and just turning the key on to cycle the unit after the bleeder is tightened?

Maybe the guy who likes to call people idiots can answer that.
Bump

Good question. Anyone have an answer? Maybe the ABS unit's normal cycle during ignition doesn't purge fluid or much less than actually emergency braking would do?

Sorry if i'm being an idiot...

Old 07-26-2016 | 02:03 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by threedeuce5
Bump

Good question. Anyone have an answer? Maybe the ABS unit's normal cycle during ignition doesn't purge fluid or much less than actually emergency braking would do?

Sorry if i'm being an idiot...
The factory service manual does not require cycling the ABS module for replacing the brake fluid as part of regularly scheduled maintenance . The only time digital tech is mentioned is when air has been introduced into the system. Myself, I follow the service manual and leave it at that.

The following users liked this post:
686 Shooter (11-05-2023)
Old 07-26-2016 | 06:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Only the digital tech or whatever it is called will activate the ABS to push new fluid through it during flushing with new fluid.

However here is my cheat. Just do a regular flushing with new fluid. Then turn the bike ignition on and off several times. The ECM activates the ABS once during start up. Or ride the bike on several rides and reflush the system. That should have gotten new fluid into the ABS system.

That saves about $80 at the dealer cost. I have done this for years. I can't swear to it but it seems to work for me.

I don't know for certain but I do believe that the ABS is to be refreshed on a two year basis. I am going to check for myself.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-26-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Properly bleeding ABS brakes... what's the cheat?