Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Properly bleeding ABS brakes... what's the cheat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016 | 11:25 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

Manual of course calls for Harley Davidson DOT 4 brake fluid, Really? So what brand brake fluid do you guys use?

Old 07-25-2016 | 12:33 PM
BB59
Tourer

I have bled mine and several friends ABS brakes many times including after changing cables for new bars. I use a $35 Pneumatic Brake Fluid Bleeding tool from Harbor Freight tools and my ABS is working just fine. Just dont turn on the ignition during the process. Super easy and no mess. You do need an air compressor however.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html

Old 07-25-2016 | 12:58 PM
Max96
Tourer

Been using a MightyVac on ABS and non ABS brakes for years, never an issue.

Old 07-25-2016 | 01:31 PM
finespun automation llc
|
Intermediate

Well, yes... the bleeding process is obvious. I should have elaborated. Specifically the ABS unit... Does it NEED to be cycled? Does bleeder pump or gravity bleed pull all the old fluid out of pump and valving? ... Otherwise why connect to the unit at the dealer? ... The service manual doesn't even explain it.

Old 07-25-2016 | 01:40 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Sam2010
Local dealer here quoted $100. For a brake fluid flush. It was commented that Harley is starting to consider it a safety item.
It always has been a safety item and a recommended procedure in your owners manual under scheduled maintenance at certain intervals ( every two years ) ... See footnote#4.

Old 07-25-2016 | 01:47 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Most of you idiots did not give the guy the answer he needed. One of the answers were not to turn the bike on.

The other answer is, after bleeding the brakes, go for a ride and engage your ABS by stomping on the brake pedal or lever. That is one way to cycle the ABS.

The problem is that you wont be able to get the fluid out of the ABS module just by bleeding the brakes yourself. That is what the digital technician does. It cycles the oil by simulating the ABS.

Get it???

The following users liked this post:
tbrince (04-02-2023)
Old 07-25-2016 | 01:49 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Most of you idiots did not give the guy the answer he needed. One of the answers were not to turn the bike on.

The other answer is, after bleeding the brakes, go for a ride and engage your ABS by stomping on the brake pedal or lever. That is one way to cycle the ABS.

The problem is that you wont be able to get the fluid out of the ABS module just by bleeding the brakes yourself. That is what the digital technician does. It cycles the oil by simulating the ABS.

Get it???
Idiots ... Okee Dokee .... Spoken like a true know it all. Cycling the ABS will NOT bleed the ABS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
fullautomike (07-25-2016), slippin_jimmy (08-16-2023)
Old 07-25-2016 | 01:53 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Idiots ... Okee Dokee .... Spoken like a true know it all. Cycling the ABS will NOT bleed the ABS.
Well,

What is the answer then? Or your an idiot too and forgot to put an answer like the guy was asking for??

Hey moron this is what I was referring to.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-brake-systems

But What If I Don't Have The Dealer Service Tool?
If you really feel the need to cycle the valves, but do not have access to a service tool (or if the dealer is not willing to loan theirs) you COULD just replace Step #2 above with "go driving and slam on the brakes a few times to make the ABS work" to purge the used fluid from the unit. This is usually NOT the most efficient nor socially responsible solution, though it seems to work just fine. You still need to bleed the car a second time, but it saves you from procuring the service tool.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 07-25-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2016 | 02:12 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

see below

Old 07-25-2016 | 02:13 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Well,

What is the answer then? Or your an idiot too and forgot to put an answer like the guy was asking for??

Hey moron this is what I was referring to.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-brake-systems

But What If I Don't Have The Dealer Service Tool?
If you really feel the need to cycle the valves, but do not have access to a service tool (or if the dealer is not willing to loan theirs) you COULD just replace Step #2 above with "go driving and slam on the brakes a few times to make the ABS work" to purge the used fluid from the unit. This is usually NOT the most efficient nor socially responsible solution, though it seems to work just fine. You still need to bleed the car a second time, but it saves you from procuring the service tool.
Are you sure you don't want to edit your response again?

First off "your" should be you're as in you are.

My reply was intended to address the fact that you too ( as in also ) did not address his concern in your reply indicating that those who responded ( for the most part ) were idiots. In just what manner did insulting them help? What purpose did it serve? Obviously you are ( as in you're ) just another big mouthed keyboard cowboy who finds pleasure in running his mouth. I liken you to a B.S. salesman with a mouthful of samples but that's just my opinion. Probably an accurate opinion, I might add. I'm sure that you'll ( as in you will ) respond with another sarcastic comment that was misdirected from a perspective of your perceived perch of superiority. Have a nice day genius.

The following 5 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
686 Shooter (11-05-2023), Hog happy (11-05-2023), Max96 (07-26-2016), ridingout (11-06-2023), slippin_jimmy (08-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Properly bleeding ABS brakes... what's the cheat?