Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Properly bleeding ABS brakes... what's the cheat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023 | 12:20 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I sent mine back. It mates do bike, which is not an issue for some, but you have to be on the internet to use it. That just bugged me. I was pissed he did not disclose this in the ad. When I emailed him about putting it in ad, he got hufffy.

Once in awhile I will go to my buddies, shop retired harley indie. No cell signal in metal building, not much outside, and to far from house for wifi.

Its cheap, so good for some people. Also his website goes down, you got nothing.

Old 04-07-2023 | 12:22 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior

Not going to argue the issue of whether are not that activating the abs module after doing a brake flush is adequate. The recommended maintenance schedule for abs equipped bikes states that the two year flush include using digital technician to flush the module. If you have an extended maintenance plan and do not do this routine maintenance as required, they have reason to not cover brake module if it fails.

Old 04-07-2023 | 01:40 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I'm in the flush and then ride to activate the abs camp. The main reason to flush the brakes is to get rid of the fluid contaminated with high water content. In my opinion, if you do regular maintenance activating the ABS in any manner will mix the fluid left in the module with the fresh fluid. Even if your old brake fluid has a high moisture content the small amount in the module should get diluted to an acceptable level fairly quickly.

As a bonus, as a part of keeping your riding skills sharp, you should be familiar with how your brakes respond when ABS is activated. One of the hardest things I have ever done is try to lock up the front wheel on purpose. Alway done on loose road surfaces. It works quite well, still scares me though.
That is what I did with my bike, first did a flush then rode the bike and slam on the brakes on a slick road to activate the ABS then flush again. Still would like to have a scanner to activate it while doing the flush.

Old 04-07-2023 | 01:44 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

The video I watched the scanner oprated it for a few seconds. How long do it operate when you hit the brakes hard? Again if you did it yearly, or multiple times a year, probably ok. But I decided to buy the scanner. And I don't like other people working on my bikes. The time to drive back and forth, especially if you have to leave it there, just isn't worth it to me.

Old 04-07-2023 | 08:14 PM
tbrince
Tourer

$80 at local dealer for clutch and brake flush including the fluid. Tech told me the digital tech opens the ABS valves and keeps them open during the flush. That way all fluids are drawn out of the system. Activating the system only opens and closes the valves , very little fluid is transferred during “key on”.

Old 04-07-2023 | 08:23 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

The way I read it, is you flush twice. Once, and then after abs cycles. Maybe harley scanner is different, or maybe just explaining different

Old 04-08-2023 | 12:43 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Going to do this for the first time with my TR Centurion SP this weekend. Should be interesting

Old 04-08-2023 | 10:09 AM
Jd1a
Tourer

Nice to hear how the Centurion works.

Old 04-08-2023 | 10:21 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Going to do this for the first time with my TR Centurion SP this weekend. Should be interesting
Am looking into purchasing a Super Pro myself, keep us posted on how well it works.

Old 04-08-2023 | 10:21 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
It's cake.

The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (04-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Properly bleeding ABS brakes... what's the cheat?