Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a better tour pak lock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:56 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Is there a better tour pak lock?

07 Ultra Classic.
While relocating the tour pak I noticed that the lock is, well it seems inadequate. When it's locked it feels like you could pry the rear of the lid up and fairly easily pop the lock free. I haven't gone so far as to try to force it but it feels kinda flimsy.
Is there a better system, or a way to lock it front and back?
I know that no lock will defeat a determined thief but I would like to discourage the casual opportunist.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:59 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Subscribed. I thought the same thing. I tried adjusting it but still lots of slop. Does not look too hard to defeat.

Curious what others will say.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,790 Likes on 11,580 Posts

Locks keep honest people honest. If someone is going to pry open the tour pack, IMHO...no kind of lock will stop them.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:15 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Might try looking into the HD premium hinges and latches for your TP if you don't already have them. I have the Rushmore TP on my King and they come with pretty decent ones. The lid stays pretty solid.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:35 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Locks keep honest people honest. If someone is going to pry open the tour pack, IMHO...no kind of lock will stop them.
I agree with you and said something similar in the first post. My hope is to get keep the quasi honest ones from slipping to the dark side by making the lid less tempting.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:40 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RKZen
Might try looking into the HD premium hinges and latches for your TP if you don't already have them. I have the Rushmore TP on my King and they come with pretty decent ones. The lid stays pretty solid.
I'll check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Has anyone tried installing a lock on the rear like the one on the front?the rear?
Maybe two of the premium latches with the enclosed locks, one in front, one in back?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:21 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

better locks just means more broke plastic. I drive a convertible.....don't lock the doors to save my top. I just don't keep anything valuable in there. (You think your saddlebags are safe?).

Old 07-22-2016, 08:59 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Right, in a case where the thief is serious. And, as I've said before, nothing is safe if a thief wants it badly enough.
But on my tour pak, if it's locked but the latches are open, you can lift the back of the pak 1"-2". That seems to me to be an invitation to a casual thief to go ahead and force it more. The ones I would like to discourage are the ones who just go through a lot looking in windows, trying door handles, flipping up latches, etc. If the tour pak lid doesn't have a lot of play then my hope is they'll just continue on to an easier target.
Oh, and my convertible has the top down unless it rains too hard. Its only up a couple times a year.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

My thoughts are if a serious or a casual thief are going to take the time to see how hard it is to get into the tour pak they're going to get in whether they need to break it a little or a lot.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:20 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think you're understanding me. Casual, opportunistic thieves are looking for something quick and easy. They walk through crowded parking lots checking door handles looking for open vehicles and a quick score. Anyone who knows anything about HD tour pak knows if you flip the latches the lid opens right up. I would like a lock that secures both front and back so an easy opportunity is not presented.
I have insurance for broken plastic and contents if it ever comes to that but if everything is left unlocked the insurance company will laugh in my face if I make a claim.
I thank you for your concern and opinion but it really does nothing to answer my question.
Is there a better lock/system for the tour pak?

Quick Reply: Is there a better tour pak lock?