Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 18 Wheel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 21 18 Wheel Conversion

You would be ahead of the game anywhere you went with the 23" front wheel....but it will take some fab work on the front fender to get that thing in there But well worth it, if thats the look you want.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain

I just added a 21' front and left the rear stock (with a new matching rear tire) handling is sportier and much improved. I would never switch back.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: IceHeritage

1) The handling is a little more responsive
2) Non just install and Ride
Ice man said it bro!!!!Also its a little harder compound than the stock dun's,so watch the throttle come out of them slow turns,it's a lot easier to burn some rubber with a hand full of throttle!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those giant wheels sure have cool factor. But then, I'd be on a Wide-Glide if cool factor was all there was to riding. From Thunder Press Magazine, May 2007, Motorhead Memo, by Kip Woodring:

"..;change to 18" wheels and you affect gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), with the low-profile tires required in such a swap. There goes the option to safely load the scoot to the gunwales on road trips...Wheels: 18 X 3.5 " billet PM, likely less flexible than factory "mags" and certainly stiffer than spoke wheels. But, they are heavier, and being a larger diameter, they carry more mass at the outer edges. That increases the gyro effect at speed and makes for less crisp turn-in. the resulting slower steering response and harsher ride quality are no big deal on freeways and in smooth sweepers, but tight or bumpy switchbacks are liable to be a lot more work for the rider..."

Yep, I drool over 'em at the watering holes! But I do so much of my ridingin mountain twisties around the backroads that this modification just takes away a little more than it gives for me.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:55 PM
bonz50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't comment on riding a harley with bigger wheels... but have however ridden many different sportbikes with different sized wheels, most notably the cbr900rr... when first released (and for many years following) the cbr9 had a 16" front wheel (17" rear) and the older ninja's had 16's front and rear)... when each of these bikes finally went to a 17" wheel they got noticably more stable at speed and handling picked up quite a bit... now, on older 1st gen GSXR's they had 18" fronts and when they went to 17's they picked up a slightly crisper handling characteristic and tended to be a bit "twitchy" at speed... imho, based on what I've experienced, i don't think that on a harley touring bike that moving to 18's would present any problem... 21's I don't know, but I'd definitely consider 18's if I had the $$ to do it... if they made a 17" i'd get those and install some good rubber that's generally available for most sport bikes...

Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Rocket Jockey
Tourer

I have riden sport bikes (I guess I am whatsomeone on the forum so kindly referred to as a CRB, crotch rocket bastard) and can appreciate a good handling bike. Irun a 21" front 18" rear and disagree thatthe turn-in is any less crisp. I find the bike to be very neutral at speed and quicker on turn-in at low speed. I have notice improved handling but that may be dueto running the Metz vs. the Dun-rocks.

The look is still unique here in Minnesota. I have only seen one other bike, last weekend as amatter of fact, with the 21"/18" combo.Iget lots of compliments and I don't think most even know why it looks so different.

Cheers,
CRB (AKA RJ)

Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

It may be to early for this question but does anyone know if you be able to change to a 21 with ABS?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 04harleyboy

I would like to see a copy of this article. I am an engineer by trade, and would love hear what they have to say. I have only been running my set up for a couple of months now (not as long as Ice Heritage has), but I have logged over 2,000 trouble free miles on them so far. Please feel free to send me a link to that article if you can.
This is a good article and it says nothing about not adding 18/21 wheels. It does help make you aware of tradeoffs whenever you change the stock setup. Think your changes through so that you achieve what you wanted when your started your mods.

Check it out: http://www.thunderpress.net/MONTH_AR...orheadMemo.pdf

Thunder Press url: http://www.thunderpress.net/month.html

Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
jmpenn2
Stage I

Do you have to change the front fender on an 08 SG or can you use stock?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Firetender

Those giant wheels sure have cool factor. But then, I'd be on a Wide-Glide if cool factor was all there was to riding. From Thunder Press Magazine, May 2007, Motorhead Memo, by Kip Woodring:

"..;change to 18" wheels and you affect gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), with the low-profile tires required in such a swap. There goes the option to safely load the scoot to the gunwales on road trips...Wheels: 18 X 3.5 " billet PM, likely less flexible than factory "mags" and certainly stiffer than spoke wheels. But, they are heavier, and being a larger diameter, they carry more mass at the outer edges. That increases the gyro effect at speed and makes for less crisp turn-in. the resulting slower steering response and harsher ride quality are no big deal on freeways and in smooth sweepers, but tight or bumpy switchbacks are liable to be a lot more work for the rider..."

Yep, I drool over 'em at the watering holes! But I do so much of my ridingin mountain twisties around the backroads that this modification just takes away a little more than it gives for me.
Soem key words in there, may, likely, liable. While, theoretically, this article does make sence, it does not take into account other factors. For example, a stiffer platform will likely, to use their language, cause a more crisp turn in due to the lack of flex in the wheel and the sidewall of the tire. That article only examines one variable, and there are many to be considered. I haven't changed my wheels on the bike yet, but I did change them on my Cobra. The car handles much better. You could apply the same logic to that too. Again, lots of variables to consider.

Quick Reply: 21 18 Wheel Conversion