Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 18 Wheel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:28 PM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 21 18 Wheel Conversion

ORIGINAL: Firetender

Definitely the last thing I'd modify on my FLHR. If I wanted a taller skinny tire to distribute less weight across the road, and catch more lines off the superslab, I'd be riding a Wide Glide.
Actually the 21 for baggers are 3.25 to 3.5 depending on the wheel you choose,unlike a WG which runs a 2.15. I'm running a Metz 120 on the front, and its pretty well documented that with the Metz you don't feel anywhere near as much groove in the road as you do with a stock Dunlop... I'd try it before flamin' it..

Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 PM
CaliKing
Advanced

21's are out in in Cali...I was just at my local indy shop in Sac. 23 inch fronts are the new rage...

Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
fishafly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: CaliKing

21's are out in in Cali...I was just at my local indy shop in Sac. 23 inch fronts are the new rage...
I saw one of those at the RENEGADE booth in Laughlin.. It was F'in HUGE Chuck said it was only a matter of time before someone put 'em on a bagger...

Old 05-22-2007, 02:36 PM
whateva
Tourer

You may have to raise the front fender about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to keep it from rubbing at speed. I did.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:44 PM
CaliKing
Advanced

Yep, 2 of them at the shop. A SG and a RG, shop owner had to modify the SG front fender to fit and the RG is running with no frontfender....The 23 actually doesnt look to bad since they are large bikes.

ORIGINAL: fishafly

ORIGINAL: CaliKing

I saw one of those at the RENEGADE booth in Laughlin.. It was F'in HUGE Chuck said it was only a matter of time before someone put 'em on a bagger...

Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think I will be running more than a 21 front--there is a custom that shows up at bike nite with a 23---looks good on HIS bike

Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely the last thing I'd modify on my FLHR. If I wanted a taller skinny tire to distribute less weight across the road, and catch more lines off the superslab, I'd be riding a Wide Glide.
Actually the 21 for baggers are 3.25 to 3.5 depending on the wheel you choose,unlike a WG which runs a 2.15. I'm running a Metz 120 on the front, and its pretty well documented that with the Metz you don't feel anywhere near as much groove in the road as you do with a stock Dunlop... I'd try it before flamin' it..
To each his own, bro. Last month's ThunderPress had a good article explaining the pros and cons from an engineering point of view of changingout the 16" tire on baggers. As much as I like the look of the taller, thinner wheel, (and I do like 'em!) that article was enough for me.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I have been Running a 21 x 18 Setup for the past 3 years 2 on my 95 Heritage and 1 on my 07 RG, it's easy to speculate on something via engineering point of view but if they haven't actually Rode a Bike with this setup for any lenght of time (like myself and others) then there point of view proves nothing

Old 05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each his own, bro. Last month's ThunderPress had a good article explaining the pros and cons from an engineering point of view of changingout the 16" tire on baggers. As much as I like the look of the taller, thinner wheel, (and I do like 'em!) that article was enough for me.
I would like to see a copy of this article. I am an engineer by trade, and would love hear what they have to say. I have only been running my set up for a couple of months now (not as long as Ice Heritage has), but I have logged over 2,000 trouble free miles on them so far. Please feel free to send me a link to that article if you can.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Gunsmoke
Intermediate

Does anyone have a pic of the 23 front I will definitely be ahead of the game in Lou, KY with that ?

Quick Reply: 21 18 Wheel Conversion