Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I give them another shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Should I give them another shot?

I put the HD apes on my road glide, and found that they make my right shoulder uncomfortable on long rides. I only had them on for a month and only did 2 long rides.

I took them off and put my stock bars back on and put the apes up for sale. Seems like there is no interest in them, on both eBay and the classifieds. So I'm considering putting them back on and giving them another go.

My question is - did the guys with tall apes on their ride have similar issues and just get used to them? Maybe muscles got used to the position and the uncomfortable went away after some time with them?

I had apes on my old ride and did not have this issue, but they were much lower. I can't stand that I paid good money for these and they are sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Thoughts.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 AM
elky72ss454
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
My question is - did the guys with tall apes on their ride have similar issues and just get used to them? Maybe muscles got used to the position and the uncomfortable went away after some time with them?
Thoughts.
I have a set of 16' Bars on one bike and 18" bars on another. I love the tall bars, wish they were both 18's. My shoulders/arms have never hurt due to the apes. I ride everyday/everywhere and have ridden long distances too. They are great for me, maybe not for you...

Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 AM
Seafus
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Typically the only complaints I hear about apes are from those who don't have them or have never tried them. So, I'm surprised to hear this.
I've always had wrist angle issues with stock bars, but never a single issue with apes. I finally convinced my Ol' Man to switch a couple years ago and as a retiree, all he does is long rides. His only regret is not switching to them sooner. No issue getting used to them there either. I'd say give em' another shot!
Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

I would not put them back on. Cut your losses and go to a lower/different bar. If you are getting the "ice pick" in the back of your shoulder that will nag you forever.

I made that mistake when I was a kid, keeping bars for the "cool" factor. Never again, I want comfort.

.02----

Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

It could be the height or the angle of your hand position on the bars that is causing the issue.

I would run what is most comfortable for you.

If you want to try them again - give them a go, you can always take them back off...again...

Old 07-13-2016, 11:58 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I know when I put my 14" on, it took some time to get used to them. Maybe you didnt take long enough to get used to them?

What makes you comfortable is most important. If you rode long enough and hated them; go a different route. What the hell. Maybe a different bar with different dimensions like someone mentioned too. I did the broom handle trick. Worked for me on the height. Mine are 2" wider than stock. Not much but really noticeable. In the begining I didnt like it at all. Now I am used to it and kind of like it.

Good luck with your decision whatever you do.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,066 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If you had a girlfriend that was a pain in the *** to be with and had since found another woman; would you give the first one another chance?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:46 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,418 Likes on 934 Posts

Well, I doubt they will suddenly become comfortable, but what the heck.

If you didn't do any fore and aft adjusting on the first go around, you might find a better position on the second go around.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm 5'11. I put the Yaffee 12" apes on and riding was uncomfortable for the first day. It just didn't feel natural. The next day I did some riding on non-busy roads. After an hour, I fell in love with them.

My best bud is about 5'4. He put on 14" apes. He looks very uncomfortable riding with them and is on his tippy toes while at stop lights.

I'm not sure what size you went with but did you buy the right size for your height?
Personally, I think it takes a little while to gain the confidence to ride with apes but once you gain the confidence, you're golden and will love them.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:22 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
I'm 5'11. I put the Yaffee 12" apes on and riding was uncomfortable for the first day. It just didn't feel natural. The next day I did some riding on non-busy roads. After an hour, I fell in love with them.

My best bud is about 5'4. He put on 14" apes. He looks very uncomfortable riding with them and is on his tippy toes while at stop lights.

I'm not sure what size you went with but did you buy the right size for your height?
Personally, I think it takes a little while to gain the confidence to ride with apes but once you gain the confidence, you're golden and will love them.
I went with the 15" HD bars, the thing is, I sat on a bike with them on at the dealer, and they felt great. Felt like a very natural position, and even feel good around town. But on the long haul, my shoulder felt very fatigued. The weird thing is it was just my right shoulder.

I did play with fore and aft, found them slightly better pushed all the way up, and worse pulled back closer to me.But still never fond a spot with got no shoulder pain.

Probably just answered my own question with this response, as the stock bars cause me no discomfort.

I did run the yaffe bars on my old ride, and was missing them, that's why I went with these. Oh well, maybe I can find a new home for the apes, if not they can be a wall decoration in the garage, LOL

Quick Reply: Should I give them another shot?