Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I give them another shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
If you had a girlfriend that was a pain in the *** to be with and had since found another woman; would you give the first one another chance?
Many years ago, I stopped by my Brother's house just in time to see and hear the front screen door go BLAM! against the wall as my Brother flew thru it and was running down a long set of steps about 4 or 5 steps at a time. About that time, His wife appeared out the door with Her hair in curlers wearing an old duster looking around, and quickly grabbed a square gallon gas can by the door that was about half full, and drew it back with a south paw, and BAM got Brother in the back of the head with it as He was clearing the bottom steps. Brother sees me, and scratching off on all fours on the ground He jumps in my car screaming "LET'S GO! LET"S GO!!" and quickly away we went, fully expecting to get shot at any minute.
A couple of miles down the road, after Brother caught His breath, I asked Him "Why do you keep putting up with that?"
Brother just grinned and said "I just like a woman with a little spunk in 'em".

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I put the HD apes on my road glide, and found that they make my right shoulder uncomfortable on long rides. I only had them on for a month and only did 2 long rides.

I took them off and put my stock bars back on and put the apes up for sale. Seems like there is no interest in them, on both eBay and the classifieds. So I'm considering putting them back on and giving them another go.

My question is - did the guys with tall apes on their ride have similar issues and just get used to them? Maybe muscles got used to the position and the uncomfortable went away after some time with them?

I had apes on my old ride and did not have this issue, but they were much lower. I can't stand that I paid good money for these and they are sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Thoughts.
I've got tendonitis in my left shoulder and have 14 in apes. The cruise control can help a lot with this and would rely on it often. The reason there's no real interest with used apes is likely most prefer to go with new bars when installing them. Apes gives guys my height better pull-back which effects overall comfort. Any discomfort (I don't really have any in spite of my shoulder ) is negated by increased comfort and better reach.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Many years ago, I stopped by my Brother's house just in time to see and hear the front screen door go BLAM! against the wall as my Brother flew thru it and was running down a long set of steps about 4 or 5 steps at a time. About that time, His wife appeared out the door with Her hair in curlers wearing an old duster looking around, and quickly grabbed a square gallon gas can by the door that was about half full, and drew it back with a south paw, and BAM got Brother in the back of the head with it as He was clearing the bottom steps. Brother sees me, and scratching off on all fours on the ground He jumps in my car screaming "LET'S GO! LET"S GO!!" and quickly away we went, fully expecting to get shot at any minute.
A couple of miles down the road, after Brother caught His breath, I asked Him "Why do you keep putting up with that?"
Brother just grinned and said "I just like a woman with a little spunk in 'em".
True dat.....couldn't explain it better myself....

Old 07-13-2016, 07:49 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

My wife has 14 in apes on her FXDC for better pull-back and reach and she loves them. You either love em from the start or you dont, neither of us had to 'get used to em' . They might not be for you if your trying to get used to them.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:53 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

After a long wild goose chase of trying bars to correct my shoulder/neck pain I realized that it was driving in stressful conditions that somehow tenses up my shoulder and neck muscles and gives me tons of pain in my right trap. My last ride...rode all day, 300 miles and felt great. Stopped off for a few hours and had to drive over the pass in darkness. I was all stressed out and tense cause I couldn't see well and running I-90 with road construction mountain pass. In that 50 minute ride my shoulder had the well known pain that it once had when I first started riding this bike...ouch!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,823 Likes on 3,499 Posts

I have 12" yaffee bagger apes and love them, I am 6'1" and they help my shoulders.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:01 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Doing the same thing over and expecting different results is the difination of stupidity...

Old 07-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Just a thought, but since you said the apes made just your right shoulder uncomfortable, what grips did you have on them? The stock grips for me were too small and I found myself gripping them tightly which in turn made my hand, arm, shoulder bother me. Just a thought.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,795 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Doing the same thing over and expecting different results is the difination of stupidity...
The irony of this statement was not lost on me.

It's the "definition of insanity".

Quick Reply: Should I give them another shot?