Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armored Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:40 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Armored Mesh

Thinking about a lightweight Level 3 armor vest for when not wearing a full leather coat. I am concerned about the heat and comfort levels. I would appreciate comments from those of you that use one or have used one.

Other than road rash - how much can that armor really protect you? How is the heat on these hot summer days?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:04 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure what you mean about a vest, but I have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego mesh jacket with outer zip in jacket with armor in the elbows, shoulders, and spine. I think the spine armor is optional now. It's pretty sturdy. It flows air pretty well while moving at highway speeds, but it does get hot at slower speeds and in traffic.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:06 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I use a full mesh jacket when its hot. Armour in the elbows, shoulders and back. Unless I'm dead stopped, its nice and cool. Mine flows real well. Has made warm weather riding better. I'm AGATT, so a T-shirt is not an option for me.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by CJeep
I use a full mesh jacket when its hot. Armour in the elbows, shoulders and back.... its nice and cool.

Originally Posted by TwoBlue02
Other than road rash - how much can that armor really protect you?
....... depends on the crash. If ya high side & tumble, you're probably gonna break something.... armor is for the rash & depending on how far you slide, it'll likely do the job.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Not too sure on the levels. The only level 3 vest I know are the bulletproof kind. For a motorcycle get off, you'd want to protect the elbows and shoulders also and a vest won't do.

For cooler riding in warm weather, a good mesh jacket fits the bill, like a RevIt or Firstgear. They usually have the hi-tech protections, including back/spine, and have a waterproof and thermal liners.

Check out Revzilla.com, as they carry the top brands and have short vid descriptions of the products.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,801 Likes on 689 Posts

I've been considering a mesh jacket too, anybody have any experience with Bilt products? House brand of Cycle Gear I think. Looked at one a couple days ago, came with a zip in liner, might make it a three season jacket. That's the only one I have actually tried on so far, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Gets hot here in BAKErsfield.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:45 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg
I've been considering a mesh jacket too, anybody have any experience with Bilt products? House brand of Cycle Gear I think. Looked at one a couple days ago, came with a zip in liner, might make it a three season jacket. That's the only one I have actually tried on so far, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Gets hot here in BAKErsfield.
Bilt stuff can vary depending on who Cycle Gear contracted with. My son has a mesh jacket that is really nice but other Bilt stuff I've looked at is real crap. You have to really look. You're not that far from Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino. That's were of go if I were you. The store is massive and has a huge variety of gear.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:25 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have a Bilt mesh jacket with armor. I like it. Very cool while moving. It's quality is decent. You kinda get what tou pay for here.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:15 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,815 Likes on 2,266 Posts

I wear a long sleeve t-shirt under my mesh jackets. It helps to slow evaporation and I'm cooler, while moving. I was surprised at the cost of the HD mesh. I was also surprised at the how many Harley jackets are now available in tall sizes.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:40 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,663 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Watch your fabrics. Not all mesh is the same. Some will stand up to abrasion far better than others.

Bullet proofing is not the same thing as motorcycle body armor. They serve different purposes. The latter is better at motorcycle riding and crash protection.

Quick Reply: Armored Mesh