Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armored Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I really wanted to love the Bohn product and have the cool mesh pants and shirt. I find the stuff uncomfortable in hot weather and a general pain in the rear. I have a couple pairs of Sliders Tactical pants with knee pads (http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-x-t...rgo-pant-black) and a pair of Tourmaster Flex pants that have armor and shells can be zippered on or off for all weather riding - including pure mesh. Very versatile. Tourmaster also makes a Flex Jacket that I have which works the same way. Includes a mesh jacket with a quilted liner plus an outer shell that can be zippered on/off. One jacket and one pair of pants takes care of all of my touring and general riding.
I have both the CoolAir and Airtex. I like the CoolAir and the Mrs. is fine with the AirTex. I am intrigued with the Tour Master Flex Series 2, as it can be a jacket, lined jacket, mesh jacket or lined mesh jacket. Too bad it is not made anymore and Tour Master has no equal. Will keep looking for something to get me through a 60 degree morning and 95 degree ride home.....

Old 07-14-2016, 09:28 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I have both the CoolAir and Airtex. I like the CoolAir and the Mrs. is fine with the AirTex. I am intrigued with the Tour Master Flex Series 2, as it can be a jacket, lined jacket, mesh jacket or lined mesh jacket. Too bad it is not made anymore and Tour Master has no equal. Will keep looking for something to get me through a 60 degree morning and 95 degree ride home.....
I have the Tourmaster flex and a Harley Switchback jacket, both work similarly. The a Tourmaster is better for colder weather as it has a quilted liner and the shell has a waterproof backing. The Harley jacket breathes a bit better with the shell on so its a better "transition" choice when it's too cold for pure mesh but a vent or two open is nice. Even though the Tourmaster has vents in the outer shell they don't work. Revzilla has the Tourmaster in stock and they're a lot less than the Harley Switchback:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...nURRoCV8fw_wcB

The following users liked this post:
Hate Work (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 06:57 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'll post my usual link to riding in hot weather.... http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

I much prefer riding in a jacket when it's hot. Mesh works great up to about 93 degrees, above that I use something solid but vented. Best I've tried is the BMW Rallye 3 jacket, and I'm giving the Harley Innovator a shot this weekend (should be in the high 90s).

The following users liked this post:
vistavette (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
I'll post my usual link to riding in hot weather.... http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

I much prefer riding in a jacket when it's hot. Mesh works great up to about 93 degrees, above that I use something solid but vented. Best I've tried is the BMW Rallye 3 jacket, and I'm giving the Harley Innovator a shot this weekend (should be in the high 90s).

Per the link posted, above 93* and mesh advantages depends if riding with a faring/shield or not:

This is the opposite
of “wind chill;” a light
breeze can still enhance
evaporative cooling but
above 93°F a strong wind
is heating the body.

"The secret to avoiding heat stroke
when riding in extremely hot weather is
to cut down the convective heat transfer
by blocking most of the wind. This can
be accomplished by using a fairing and
windscreen and/or by wearing a helmet
and riding suit that blocks the wind and
has vents to allow a lower velocity of air
to pass over your skin. By knocking the
air velocity down to about 10 mph, the
convective heat transfer is reduced by
70% and there is still plenty of air flow
for efficient evaporative cooling.
The effect of reducing the wind

Old 07-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,815 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Per the link posted, above 93* and mesh advantages depends if riding with a faring/shield or not:

This is the opposite
of “wind chill;” a light
breeze can still enhance
evaporative cooling but
above 93°F a strong wind
is heating the body.

"The secret to avoiding heat stroke
when riding in extremely hot weather is
to cut down the convective heat transfer
by blocking most of the wind. This can
be accomplished by using a fairing and
windscreen and/or by wearing a helmet
and riding suit that blocks the wind and
has vents to allow a lower velocity of air
to pass over your skin. By knocking the
air velocity down to about 10 mph, the
convective heat transfer is reduced by
70% and there is still plenty of air flow
for efficient evaporative cooling.
The effect of reducing the wind
For me, depends on the humidity. In the south east USA, I find a mesh jacket and a long sleeve tshirt works well. IN desert environments of SW USA, I wear my Aerostitch Darien jacket with the vents closed, and a wet tshirt under it. This jacket is not air tight, but slows wind down to slow evaporation in the desert. In the SE USA, I overheat in that jacket.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:21 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone using a jacket from leather up. I have always been happy with their price/performance

Old 07-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TwoBlue02
Anyone using a jacket from leather up. I have always been happy with their price/performance
I have two jackets from LeatherUp. The leather one is awesome and has held up well. The other is a mesh, but even with the liner out, it is just too hot once the temps hit even 75. I'd rather wear the leather one with my polar gel cool vest. I do like the Bohn Cool Air Armored shirt though. Like wearing nothing but protection on my elbows, shoulders and back.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks - do you remember which model mesh it is?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:26 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Op here I meant to say jacket not vest! Thanks for all the input ..I think I will get on from Leather Up
Check out the tour master line, they have both mesh and textile. As many others have stated, the mesh is better than riding in a tee shirt as long as you are moving.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Thanks - do you remember which model mesh it is?
If you are referring to the mesh jacket that is too hot for summer?
https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=53290

Quick Reply: Armored Mesh