Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armored Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 PM
druski
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Bilt mesh jacket from Cycle gear, just picked it up about a month ago....really glad I did as the weather has been over 90 for a couple of weeks and it has great air flow when I'm moving. Its hot when you stop, but its going to be hot with or without a jacket. I look at it as I'm not getting a sunburn so I'm good with that.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Bohn makes all levels of mesh jackets. I have a couple of different styles that are very cool as far as protection goes. You can also use a cool vest under your regular jacket if only going out for a couple of hours at a time. I have extra gel packs that I keep in a mini cooler in my saddle bag. Also work well.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by druski
I look at it as I'm not getting a sunburn so I'm good with that.
As lame as it sounds, not dealing with burn and sunscreen is a big added bonus imo.

Originally Posted by Hate Work
Bohn makes all levels of mesh jackets. I have a couple of different styles that are very cool as far as protection goes. You can also use a cool vest under your regular jacket if only going out for a couple of hours at a time. I have extra gel packs that I keep in a mini cooler in my saddle bag. Also work well.
Doing the same - mesh jacket with cool vest.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

We (my wife and I) have First Gear Mesh Jackets and I have been in a serious accident with a First Gear Mesh Jacket on. So you might say that I've crash tested them (unintentionally of course). While I was seriously hurt (crushed and broken vertebrae in my neck), this had nothing to do with the Jacket. I feel certain that the reason I did not suffer any road rash or broken bones covered by the Jacket is/was proof that these Jackets really do work. Between the damage from the accident to say nothing of how the EMT's cut the Jacket off of me (I was unconcious so I'm guessing it was the EMT's) the Jacket was not repairable . . . so I imediately bought another one as soon as I could ride again, about a year later. As others have said, I've found them to be cooler in hot weather than to not wear it. The Jacket essentially provides shade while not impeading cooling air flow.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I really wanted to love the Bohn product and have the cool mesh pants and shirt. I find the stuff uncomfortable in hot weather and a general pain in the rear. I have a couple pairs of Sliders Tactical pants with knee pads (http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-x-t...rgo-pant-black) and a pair of Tourmaster Flex pants that have armor and shells can be zippered on or off for all weather riding - including pure mesh. Very versatile. Tourmaster also makes a Flex Jacket that I have which works the same way. Includes a mesh jacket with a quilted liner plus an outer shell that can be zippered on/off. One jacket and one pair of pants takes care of all of my touring and general riding.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 540 Posts

I wear a Harley mesh jacket and really like it. The air flows well, no need for sunscreen and when sitting still it keeps me from baking. While riding it's as comfortable as not wearing one. My best friend was side swiped wearing jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes. He lost his small toe because the shoe came off and had extensive damage to his elbow. The doctor said you never know what could have been but he felt if he were in riding boots and an armored jacket he would have had less injuries. Another thought is a Harley switchback jacket. When the morning is cool it's keeps you warm and then zip off the outer panel when it gets hot. Look around and you'll find a good deal. I landed a brand new Harley one for $85 with rain liner and armor. Best of luck in your decision.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 276 Likes on 171 Posts

Tour Master Flex III for me. I replace the crappy back armor it comes with with Bohn armor armor.

I like this jacket because it is a single solution for all seasons. Inner liners zip out. Outer shell zips off to reveal a meshed armored jacket.

Never had a get off while riding with the jacket but cant tell how it would hold up in a crash but it seems very well made. Just got my third. For some reason they are no longer making the pants. Maybe the jacket is on the chopping block also. Kind of stinks because I like the single solution.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been wearing a Joe Rocket mesh jacket for years, no issues and works great in the hot weather. When it cools off below 70, I usually throw a long sleeve t-shirt underneath and i'm good to go.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:43 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have a tourmaster air intake 3. its twice as cool in the summer as wearing just a vest (sounds crazy, but its true, it breaths soo much better and doesnt get as hot)

Old 07-14-2016, 02:47 PM
70chevelle
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Tourmaster (airflow 500?) that has a wind/water liner and insulated liner so it's very versatile. It's cool in the heat on it's own, flows a lot of air and has armor. (It's an excellent jacket) Recently broke down and bought a HD Sublime mesh jacket for $135 and had to spend another $20 for armor, but it's very comfortable in the hot weather. Didn't need it, just wanted another option.

Quick Reply: Armored Mesh