Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armored Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I have never understood vests for motorcycle riding? While they may keep your core warm they offer no protection to arms and shoulders that are the main injures in a crash?? Bilt stuff is crap! As far as mesh gear goes, I have an old joe rocket hard armored mesh jacket that is my Summer "go to", but ya do get what ya pay for. Proper hard Motorcycle body armor does indeed provide more than "rash" protection. Dress for the crash...

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 07-12-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

Joe rocket is a great jacket I've had two. One went threw a crash(rear ended) & it saved my shoulder & arm. Still wore it last year finally got anouther. At first got a first gear as only one in high vis tall. Had to send it back as it didn't breath like the Joe. There might be some others that breath good but I new the Joe was good and went back to it. Once you get used to it you will feel funny with out it. Maybe road a handful of times with just t shirt, don't like it blows all over & feel like baking more being in the sun. The Harley mesh is a joke. The only Harley apparel I have is gloves everything else is over priced or I don't like

Old 07-12-2016, 10:08 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by CJeep
I use a full mesh jacket when its hot. Armour in the elbows, shoulders and back. Unless I'm dead stopped, its nice and cool. Mine flows real well. Has made warm weather riding better. I'm AGATT, so a T-shirt is not an option for me.
Originally Posted by groupw
....... depends on the crash. If ya high side & tumble, you're probably gonna break something.... armor is for the rash & depending on how far you slide, it'll likely do the job.
For sure. I have Olympia Airglide overpants and jacket for street use. The mesh gear is great, when it's really hot you can ride with just underwear or even commando under them. I wear full perforated leathers for the track.

Armor will offer great protection for a slide, and some protection for your joints in the event of impact, but depending on your velocity at that time, impact protection may be limited. Still, much much better than nothing.

You might want to check out YouTube for "MotoGP"-you'll be amazed at the kind of crashes and slides the riders get up and walk away from.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The wife and I both ride mesh in jackets in the summer and as long as you are moving down the highway they are great with the exception of hitting over 100 degrees. However found if you take a bottle of water and soak the coat at gas stops when you first put it on it will be cold. After about 45 minutes to an hour it starts heating up again.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Used my HD Sublime mesh jacket in Tennessee last week. I felt cooler with it on in the sun, plus you have road rash protection. My wife has a HD Callahan jacket, and she was not as comfortable. It does have a different style mesh, but being behind me probably didn't help with air flow. I will be wearing mine more often now, and recommend getting one.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I have never understood vests for motorcycle riding?
It prevents the shirt from flapping in the wind. I expect passengers motivated the start of the trend.

Beary

Old 07-12-2016, 01:54 PM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

Think the vest trend is more for patches.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:09 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by xcbullet
Think the vest trend is more for patches.
Yes today, but riders have been wearing vest nearly since the invention of the motorcycle. Cowboys wore them in the windy old west for the same reason.

Beary

Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Op here I meant to say jacket not vest! Thanks for all the input ..I think I will get on from Leather Up

Old 07-12-2016, 05:59 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My DH likes his new Revit. I'm loving my IXS gear and my Scorpion mesh jacket. I'm not a big fan of Olympia jackets bc they don't fit me well.

Quick Reply: Armored Mesh