Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:30 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Funny thing is ABS doesnt work at low speeds, unless you can do 40+ in a driveway
Long downhill driveway!!!..lol

Old 07-11-2016, 03:21 PM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
A braking system is not truly closed and the fluid is hygroscopic.

(it attracts water)
Sorry to be an idiot but I don't see where air or water enters the brake system. I see the rubber cover over the fluid that has air above it so when the fluid goes into the calipers it has a way of not fluid locking. Just don't see air or water entering the system until the cover is removed. Please explain. Thanks

Old 07-11-2016, 04:03 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Capillary action around caliper piston seals and fluid resevoir gaskets usually, nothing is truly impermeable. DOT 4 is HIGHLY hygrscopic it attracts moisture better than a lantern draws moths.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:24 PM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Capillary action around caliper piston seals and fluid resevoir gaskets usually, nothing is truly impermeable. DOT 4 is HIGHLY hygrscopic it attracts moisture better than a lantern draws moths.
Thanks for the reply, makes sense.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:15 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Not to mention air contains humidity (water) to some degree, Florida and other coastal areas or places with high rainfall (can you say Tacoma, WA) has a lot more than say arid places like Arizona.
Which is a good reason why they said to keep the fluid level at max, so there's less air in the reservoir, which means less chance of water contamination. This is why any directions for replacing brake pads they say to be careful when squeezing the pads back in. You will push the fluid out the reservoir, if it was maintained correctly and the fluid was kept topped off, but if the fluid was left to go down with the pads, you wont bleed over.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:54 PM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by tinsnips
what are speed bleeders and how difficult to install and then change the fluid?
They replace the bleader, unscrew and screw in the new one.
They have a spring & ball in side, when you turn them either 1/4 or 1/2 turn they allow the fluid to come out when you press the pedal or handle. When you let off they seal up. Faster than most of us can close the old school bleeder.
I have owned some tuff cars to bleed the brakes on and they helped get the job done

Last edited by GRWHD; 07-11-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Funny thing is ABS doesnt work at low speeds, unless you can do 40+ in a driveway
We're not talking about ABS failure. This is brake failure.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-12-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 07:20 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

How can anyone defend Harley on this issue?

Can you imagine how many people would die if the brakes failed on your car when an ABS module went bad if you didn't flush your brake fluid?

If the module goes bad it should bypass the ABS but the brakles should still work and the ABS light should come on.

I have no problem with a part failing however if it fails and leaves the brakes inoperable there is no excuse for this.

The following 2 users liked this post by SC_Compact:
Campy Roadie (07-12-2016), Durango Dave (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 07:49 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

According to HD the brake fluid flush and exchange cannot be performed by the owner as a digital technician must be used during the process. So if you've flushed and exchanged the brake fluid yourself on an ABS equipped bike , it hasn't been done correctly so you are still not flushing the fluid out of the abs module. And no matter what the system should never fail to the point of no brakes if the abs module fails.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
According to HD the brake fluid flush and exchange cannot be performed by the owner as a digital technician must be used during the process. So if you've flushed and exchanged the brake fluid yourself on an ABS equipped bike , it hasn't been done correctly so you are still not flushing the fluid out of the abs module. And no matter what the system should never fail to the point of no brakes if the abs module fails.
I bought my RKC used this past March. I changed the brake fluid myself about a month ago and after I was done I took the bike for a short ride and hit the brakes hard enough to cause the ABS to kick in. I believe this will purge the old fluid from the ABS module?

Quick Reply: Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley